Dave's Live from Eurodam Trans-Atlantic, Aug. 27 - Sept. 12, 2013

RetiredMustang

Tues., Sept. 10, 2013, Halifax (Cont.)

If anything, the weather got better as the afternoon wore on. We sailed while we were having dinner, casting off a few minutes after 6 p.m., which means we missed the pipers.

Dinner was a repeat of many items; such as the prime rib, photos of which I have already posted, so no new photo of that tonight. Here are the dinner and dessert menus:

10Sep13_dinner_menu.JPG

10Sep13_dessert_menu.JPG

I did have a new dessert, the chocolate éclair, which came with vanilla instead of chocolate filling; the ice cream was an inspired suggestion of our dining steward:

chocolate_eclair.JPG

We set the clocks back one more hour tonight, which will bring us into the Eastern time zone before arriving in New York Thursday.

More later,

Dave

Tues., Sept. 10, 2013, Halifax (Cont.)

If anything, the weather got better as the afternoon wore on. We sailed while we were having dinner, casting off a few minutes after 6 p.m., which means we missed the pipers.

Dinner was a repeat of many items; such as the prime rib, photos of which I have already posted, so no new photo of that tonight. Here are the dinner and dessert menus:

10Sep13_dinner_menu.JPG

10Sep13_dessert_menu.JPG

I did have a new dessert, the chocolate éclair, which came with vanilla instead of chocolate filling; the ice cream was an inspired suggestion of our dining steward:

chocolate_eclair.JPG

We set the clocks back one more hour tonight, which will bring us into the Eastern time zone before arriving in New York Thursday.

More later,

Dave

i was wondering about the sugar free deserts ...do they taste nice? as many sugar free things have that odd chemical aftertaste from sugar substitutes

i was wondering about the sugar free deserts ...do they taste nice? as many sugar free things have that odd chemical aftertaste from sugar substitutes

A couple of times I have tried HAL's "No Sugar Added" desserts -- did not care for them.

There is a difference between Sugar Free and No Sugar Added desserts. I don't know what the difference is between them. Maybe someone can explain it.

Tues., Sept. 10, 2013, Halifax (Cont.)...

10Sep13_dessert_menu.JPG

I did have a new dessert, the chocolate éclair, which came with vanilla instead of chocolate filling...

chocolate_eclair.JPG

On our last cruise I noticed that meals did not always match the menu description. I never kept photographic proof.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013, at sea

Well, we begin our final day of the cruise. There are a lot of activities around the ship, including one of my favorite, the ice carving. What I don’t see is the usual disembarkation talk. Is this new I wonder, or did somebody forget to list it and JT will announce it later? We had one in February on Noordam. They are not all that useful for Mariners, but first-time HAL cruisers could benefit.

Today is also the day for packing (boo!) and getting ready to leave. Here are photos with today’s program:

11Sep13_program_1.JPG

11Sep13_program_2.JPG

More later,

Dave

There is a difference between Sugar Free and No Sugar Added desserts. I don't know what the difference is between them. Maybe someone can explain it.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) defined "sugar free" and "no sugar added".

• "Sugar-free" means there must be less than 0.5 grams of sugar per serving after it is prepared/processed.
  • "No sugar added" means no sugar or sugar-containing ingredient was added during processing.

Some things contain a natural sugar (fruit sugar, fructose, milk sugar or lactose) so it cannot be called sugar free - it is called "no sugar added" instead. However, there is a way to remove the natural sugars so they can be called "sugar free" - I suspect these are the ones whose flavor would be most affected, especially if they put sugar substitutes (i.e., chemicals) in.

Edited by bcd2010

I can hardly believe that this wonderful cruise is coming to an end already. It seems like you just boarded.

Have great day sailing down the coast. It's going to be a hot one here on land; hope there's some breezes at sea.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) defined "sugar free" and "no sugar added".

• "Sugar-free" means there must be less than 0.5 grams of sugar per serving after it is prepared/processed.
  • "No sugar added" means no sugar or sugar-containing ingredient was added during processing.

Some things contain a natural sugar (fruit sugar, fructose, milk sugar or lactose) so it cannot be called sugar free - it is called "no sugar added" instead. However, there is a way to remove the natural sugars so they can be called "sugar free" - I suspect these are the ones whose flavor would be most affected, especially if they put sugar substitutes (i.e., chemicals) in.

Thank you for the explanation.

Yonnie,

It was great. Frankly I couldn't tell the difference, if there was one, between it and a regular éclair. It had the choux pastry, the ganache topping and the custard crème filling. The ice cream helped, too!

Dave

Thank you Dave.

As I said -- I tried a couple of No Sugar Added desserts -- one was Tiramisu -- it was awful.