European Cruises-Would you go?

I Luv Crusin

I'm curious. I've heard the reason Carnival and other cruise lines are cutting their European itineraries is because Americans don't want to pay to fly to Europe. Personally, if I had the opportunity to cruise Europe again I'd pay the thousand or so to get there.

Would you?

I just did in May (Review Below) and will again!

I love traveling in Europe so it would be worth it for me. For many years I did coach tours of Europe but I have gotten to the age that "bags out by 6 am" every morning does not appeal. Cruising is the perfect way to continue seeing Europe.

I'm curious. I've heard the reason Carnival and other cruise lines are cutting their European itineraries is because Americans don't want to pay to fly to Europe. Personally, if I had the opportunity to cruise Europe again I'd pay the thousand or so to get there.

Would you?

We were on a Western Med. cruise with RCI in May and the largest percentage of passengers (25%) were Americans. A pretty good turnout from you guys travelling 4000 miles :)

I'm guessing Carnival gets similar numbers travelling over but possibly struggles filling the other 75%. This is just my opinion buts its advertising over here is very confused...... we have television adverts showing people being sucked through walls :confused:

It's profile in Europe is not on a par with NCL or RCI which is maybe why it has decided to pull out next year.

I think to truly experience Europe, you need to spend more time then a cruise would allow. Although hey, it's a cruise so how bad could it be and you'll get a nice little preview of various cities.

yes , also for us its the food, the night life and the vibe along with the time in ea port

we once did one of those 10 cities in 14 days ... we got to Rome , and wound up staying there for 4 days .. :D

now we go on our own.. I guess once I get my fill I will do a cruise there

We cruised the Med. in June and had a wonderful time -- definately worth the money if you can afford it -- and yes, the airfare was just as much as the cruise itself. A Caribbean cruise is an vacation, a European cruise is an amazing adventure.

Just keep in mind that with a European, especially a Med. cruise, it is very port intensive and it is the itinerary that is more important than the ship /cruiseline itself since you will not be on the ship as much.

Absolutely! Seven of us will be doing a 3 week land vacation in France next summer. We will definitely do the Vista if she has a Med season as well.

Whether you get the highlights on a cruise or choose a land based trip if you have the opportunity to go to Europe it is a wonderful experience. You just have to embrace the cost, pay it, forget about it and only remember the sites, sounds, tastes of the places you experienced.

We very much enjoyed seeing Europe on a cruise on the lIberty a while back. We did have a group planned for the Legend this year and the reason it fell apart was specifically due to airfare.

I really think Carnival is missing the boat (pun intene3d) when it comes to Europe. I know they say it does not fit their model. But just look at the options for TA sailings alone that the other big players in the industry do. Many many options and lots of variety.

We cruised the Med. in June and had a wonderful time -- definately worth the money if you can afford it -- and yes, the airfare was just as much as the cruise itself. A Caribbean cruise is an vacation, a European cruise is an amazing adventure.

Just keep in mind that with a European, especially a Med. cruise, it is very port intensive and it is the itinerary that is more important than the ship /cruiseline itself since you will not be on the ship as much.

Very true

Does anyone have the inside info if carnival will be back in Europe in 2015 like they hinted too a while back? Sunshine back to europe out of Barcelona...sign me up!!!July 2015

Please let it be true!

Did the Sunshine out of Venice for 12 days and was disappointed to learn that Carnival will no longer be sailing in Europe this time next year.

We did a 7-day Western Med cruise out of Barcelona and we loved every minute of it. We were exhausted when we came back but would do it again - would love to do a Greek Isles cruise. Luckily, we found great airfare and the cruise was a bargain (this was with NCL). I'm thankful I had the experience.

I look at it the other way around. Europe is a vacation and the Caribbean is an adventure. If you are not a diver then you miss much of the beauty which is underwater.

We spent a month in Europe 2 summers ago: Italy, Spain, Denmark and Austria. I couldn't imagine doing it any other way. I wanted to see each and every fountain in Rome. It was simply amazing but flying from the west coast was long. Sadly not much in the Caribbean l wish to see, except Belize, so might choose strictly land in the future.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

I would only consider cruising the Greek Isles or perhaps a river cruise through Germany. I would take a transatlantic only if I had the time to first spend at least a week in Europe. I like cruising as a way to travel cheaply to warm climates, balancing a little sightseeing with relaxation and eating. But if I'm going to spend that much $$$ flying to Europe, I would want to experience a European country in depth, not from a ship. When I visited Europe (before having kids, back when airfare was half the price), I enjoyed taking public transportation and wandering around, seeing things on my own and not part of a group tour.

Hope I am wrong but suspect they will not do a European one until their next ship comes out.

I think you are correct. If they can build the anticipation of the new ship and maybe get itineraries out fairly early they can probably fill more berths. The more time folks have to pay for the cruise the better it will be. Especially those who will book ES because they won't want to cancel and lose any money.

Would you?

No - so far.

I also want a direct fight which they have cut back on here in Atlanta.

I'm leaving in less than 2 weeks on the Sunshine and I can't wait! The way I see it, yes the flight was expensive, but the cruise itself was a great price so it all balances out :D Now when I add up everything I'm spending on private excursions and admission to all the sites/museums, that's another story! haha

I know what you mean. I was in Europe in 2006. With flights, pre and post trip stays, excursions, etc it was quite the expensive trip but worth it.

I think flights aren't a deciding factor, if you want to cruise Europe.

Archived