Mystery Dinner Theater

Non-drinkers here. Is it worth $55 for this dinner?

Only you can determine if something is worth it to you. The $55 includes dinner and entertainment. The wine was just house wine, so did not add much value for us.

Has anyone done the mystery dinner theater on FOS? It is the 1st night of cruise & wondered if it is fun!?!? Have really wanted to do it on other cruises but it was never available. Would love some insight.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Cheesy but lots of fun, we have done it three times now :)

• 3 months later...

We went in Feb of FOS. It is cheesy, goofy and so much fun. You start out with drinks and appetizers in Olive or Twist where the story begins then you go down to Portofino's for a wonderful dinner. The show continues and the waiters refill your wine glass constantly. At the end you try to guess the killer and the correct guesses are put into a basket and someone wins a pretty nice gift basket.

Is the mystery dinner theatre show the same fleet wide...or does the show differ? I had a blast last fall and would love to do it again regardless...

Thanks!

We haven't done it in a while, but the two times we did it (on different ships), it was the same mystery.

Booked my ticket.. can't wait 98 DAYS!!!!

NEW to cruising. ♥ FOS 3/16/14 with a group of geocachers (geocaching.com) NO kids

CARNIVAL VICTORY 8/23/14 with the family. ♥

I was booked for the Mystery Dinner on our Freedom cruise leaving January 5, 2014. Got a call last week that due to a scheduling issue it was being cancelled and they refunded our money. Hope this doesn't happen to you :(

I was booked for the Mystery Dinner on our Freedom cruise leaving January 5, 2014. Got a call last week that due to a scheduling issue it was being cancelled and they refunded our money. Hope this doesn't happen to you :(

I hope not.

NEW to cruising. ♥ FOS 3/16/14 with a group of geocachers (geocaching.com) NO kids

CARNIVAL VICTORY 8/23/14 with the family. ♥

We did this a few years ago. It was great fun and the wait staff's presentation at the dinner was a lot of fun. The food was great. Don't know if it is still the same, but I felt it was worth the extra $.

We have done these with friends at home and they can be a lot of fun.

Which ships or class of ships are these held on?

We have done these with friends at home and they can be a lot of fun.

Which ships or class of ships are these held on?

We went to it thinking the same - but its not like the participatory ones you can do with friends. It was just a play, and a poor one at that. The actors later told us they do the same play over and over, and just make up on the spot who is the murderer - no change in clues.

The food was good though.

Hey, we're going to be on the same cruise. So that's why I couldn't see the Mystery Dinner theater on the booking options.

^^^ We just did it on the Jewel's 11/23 sailing and absolutely HATED it! :mad: It was painful! You've heard of highlights? This was ehe absollute LOWlight of our cruise. It took almost FOUR HOURS to go through the whole thing. I remember making sure we got to the lounge by 6pm so as not to be late, but they didn't start passing out hors' d'oeuvres until 6:25 and by 7pm we still hadn't had anything of substance to eat. It was almost 10pm when it was finally done. By that time, we didn't care WHODUNNIT, we just wanted to leave.

The acting was so-so, especially from two of the "actors" who we couldn't even hear. The food was great, so my suggestion is to save the extra $$ and just go to the specialty restaurant and have dinner there without the "show."

NEVER again!

Edited by jt1120

^^^ We just did it on the Jewel's 11/23 sailing and absolutely HATED it! :mad: It was painful! You've heard of highlights? This was ehe absollute LOWlight of our cruise. It took almost FOUR HOURS to go through the whole thing. I remember making sure we got to the lounge by 6pm so as not to be late, but they didn't start passing out hors' d'oeuvres until 6:25 and by 7pm we still hadn't had anything of substance to eat. It was almost 10pm when it was finally done. By that time, we didn't care WHODUNNIT, we just wanted to leave.

The acting was so-so, especially from two of the "actors" who we couldn't even hear. The food was great, so my suggestion is to save the extra $$ and just go to the specialty restaurant and have dinner there without the "show."

NEVER again!

Yeah, when it goes bad (like our last experience), it is P A I N F U L. It will be something you talk about for a long time, though -- and you will laugh about it, promise!

Hope the rest of the cruise was great!

I am sailing on january 18th on the Jewel. I was so looking forward to this. I had been looking for the option to book and had not seen it so I called RCI. The first time I called they said it was being offered but to call back in a few weeks. I called back...they said perhaps it was full. I told them that it had never been offered as an option. Finally I got someone who put me on hold so they could speak with the dining manager. Finally found out that they are having a change in cast and it will not be offered again until mid February. I just wish one of the earlier reps I spoke to offered to check with the dining manager, at least I would not have been waiting for months for the answer. Oh well...I'm sure I will find some drama somewhere on the ship ;).

• 4 months later...

For those who have attended the Mystery Dinner Theatre on FOS, would you consider the attire in general more casual or dressy or about the same as MDR attire? My son and his wife and all her family are going later this month. He's just wanting an idea so they're not over dressed (or under dressed)...thanks!

For those who have attended the Mystery Dinner Theatre on FOS, would you consider the attire in general more casual or dressy or about the same as MDR attire? My son and his wife and all her family are going later this month. He's just wanting an idea so they're not over dressed (or under dressed)...thanks!

Our experience was that the dress was similar to the MDR on formal nght. Some people were casual, some were formal.