travel insurance questions

pompeii

My husband and I are booked on a cruise mid-October, and we just found out that our sister-in-law has become quite ill. She has been battling cancer for the last two years, but after quite a bit of treatment, was on the upswing for the last several months. Over the last two weeks though, her condition has worsened quite a bit. We are worried that our vacation plans might come at a very bad time.

Of course we would cancel the cruise and lose the money, if it comes to that. But if at all possible, we would like to purchase some travel insurance that would cover the cruise cost (no airfare involved). I read over the Princess Plan, but it seems that it would not cover our situation because it is a pre-existing condition, and I also read that you have to purchase it before final payment. Maybe I'm reading it wrong though.

Can someone suggest something for us? We booked directly through Princess, so we don't have a TA to ask for help. Thanks, everyone.

It can get a bit confusing with "pre-existing" conditions...I would just call them-

If you have any questions or require additional information, please call Berkely, the program administrator for Princess Vacation Protection, at 1-877-846-8833.

Office Hours: 8AM – 10PM (EST) Monday – Friday

9AM – 5PM (EST) Saturday

When did you book? Most insurance requires a purchase within 2 weeks of booking/paying to have pre existing conditions waived. Look at Travel Guard's website.

We use TG. Last year my SIL went to the hospital 4 days before our cruise. We had to submit paperwork from her dr. stating that travel was not advisable.

We got back most of our money, but we bought the insurance at booking.

Pat

I'd call Princess and ask specifically whether this situation would be covered. If covered, you'd get a refund; if not covered, you'd get a cruise credit for the amount paid less the cost of insurance. Check on whether either of those two options is possible.

Pretty sure you have to book Princess's insurance close to booking or at least before final payment. They don't want people only buying it if they are ready to make a claim ;)

If that's true about Princess's insurance, try Squaremouth. It's a website that compares/contrasts lots of travel insurance types. They might have something for you. However, be warned the pre-existing part may be an issue. Also, most require buying in within two weeks of booking. But there are so many, (how many depending on what state you live in), that I am hopeful you may find something.

Sorry to hear about your SIL and hope she makes a better turn in her health.

"Princess Vacation Protection is available for purchase up to the final payment due date of the voyage, even if your booking is already paid in full." (http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp#Princess_Vacation_Protection)

You can purchase medical coverage after final payment, but it does not cover trip cancellation.

I believe most companies that waive preexisting conditions do so only within a short time (21 or 30 days for Travel Insured International, for example) after the initial deposit - not final payment.

If it were before final payment, Princess Vacation Protection can still be a good deal even without the preexisting conditions exclusion because you can still get the money back in a Princess credit - and we know you will be cruising with Princess in the future.

After final payment, I suspect you're out of luck. I don't think any insurance company will sell a policy that covers preexisting conditions at that point. If one did, then everyone would wait until they had a problem to buy the insurance, and the company would lose a lot of money.

I'm very sorry about you sister-in-law, but I don't know of anything you can do now after final payment.

Hmmmmmm, so I thought the pre-existing conditions was only for the person(s) being insured on the trip. They have a disclaimer that you must be fit/able to travel at the time the insurance is purchased even if there is pre-existing coverage. I'm really confused since our parents are elderly and that could technically be a pre-existing condition the way this thread is going. I would not think that family members would have to meet the same standards as the insured.

We have the same situation with my wifes mother having cancer. We looked into several insurances and made phone calls to at least three. They all said the same thing that it would be considered a pre-existing condition and it did not matter if she was not traveling with us. Also we did check before final payment.

I would have to check with my DW to ask about Princess insurance specifically but she is out of town at the moment.

Vinnie

Hmmmmmm, so I thought the pre-existing conditions was only for the person(s) being insured on the trip. They have a disclaimer that you must be fit/able to travel at the time the insurance is purchased even if there is pre-existing coverage. I'm really confused since our parents are elderly and that could technically be a pre-existing condition the way this thread is going. I would not think that family members would have to meet the same standards as the insured.

I don't think being old is a pre-existing condition but if your parents have been diagnosed with cancer that's a pre-existing condition that is not covered by the trip insurances we looked into.

Vinnie

A preexisting condition for a family member would only affect trip cancellation insurance - not medical insurance. For Princess Platinum Vacation Protection, I really don't care, since they provide 100% back in Princess credits, and I will be taking another cruise later after the event that caused me to cancel one cruise.

Hmmmmmm, so I thought the pre-existing conditions was only for the person(s) being insured on the trip. .

For most plans that's true. For some it's not. Here's the pre-ex condition for one plan:

"Pre-existing Condition means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60 day period immediately prior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion, Domestic Partner, Business Partner or Family Member scheduled or booked to travel with you"

Here's another:

"PRE-EXISTING CONDITION: means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 180-day period immediately prior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion or Family Member who is scheduled or booked to travel with you: 1) received, or received a recommendation for, a diagnostic test, examination or medical treatment; or 2) took or received prescription drugs or medicine."

So you need to read the plan's definition of a pre-ex condition and if it's not clear or if it doesn't include wording similar to that shown above then go to the plan's definition of "Family Member". If it's still not clear call them.

While we agree with everything that Cruiseco posted, keep in mind that anything said over the phone buy the insurance company is generally not binding. So if you do call for a clarification of the policy ask them if they can confirm what they say via an e-mail.

Hank

If you can't find any insurance that would cover this (and I'm guessing you won't be able to) consider canceling your cruise sooner rather than later. Your cancellation penalty will keep climbing.

I'm sorry about the circumstances that are causing this concern.

I woudl agree that is unlikely that the OP will find insurance at this point that would cover them if the SIL takes a turn for the worse. Steve at the tripinsurancestore has a good explantion inhis blog here: http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/blog/im-sorry-about-marys-brother/

Best of luck to the OP and, of course, to her SIL. -- Suzanne

Thanks, everyone, for weighing in on the situation and for the kind wishes for my SIL. I think we're going to take our chances and not cancel, because we're being optimistic that there will be a treatment that will help at least for awhile, and also because the cruise was pretty inexpensive. A little over $1100 for both of us, so it won't break the bank if we lose the money.

Well, lesson learned. Next time we'll look a little harder at the protection plan before deciding we don't need it!

One other thought: You should check with your cruise co. and see if you could transfer the cruise to someone. You might have a friend, co-worker, etc. that would be willing to buy it from you. It might be at a discounted price, but half a loaf.....

Archived