Wigs on a cruise

Hi, Everyone. I wanted to start another thread about "horrible cruise hair". I'm also a vain woman with fine, thin, limp hair. The opposite of coarse, frizzy hair(lol). I'm going on a B2B, starting in Rome to Barcelona, then on to Galveston. We will be doing heavy, full-day touring every day, starting early every day. So, I've gotten my first wig! My question is for anyone who has worn a wig on a cruise: was there any problem with humidity or high winds? Are there any things I should be aware of? Any tips or suggestions?

By the way, I love my new wig. It is exactly the same color as my own hair and styled similarly. It just looks much fuller and it takes maybe 5 minutes to put on. My friends thought I just had my hair cut and were amazed it was a wig. My DH loves it; he is tired of me obsessing and wearing myself out on my own crappy hair.

So, what do you wonderful people think?

Margee

There is a decent amount of humidity on that route, and it definitely can be windy. I think your idea of just covering your own hair with a hat during the day and using the wig only at night will work--just be careful on deck.

Hi, Everyone. I wanted to start another thread about "horrible cruise hair". I'm also a vain woman with fine, thin, limp hair. The opposite of coarse, frizzy hair(lol). I'm going on a B2B, starting in Rome to Barcelona, then on to Galveston. We will be doing heavy, full-day touring every day, starting early every day. So, I've gotten my first wig! My question is for anyone who has worn a wig on a cruise: was there any problem with humidity or high winds? Are there any things I should be aware of? Any tips or suggestions?

By the way, I love my new wig. It is exactly the same color as my own hair and styled similarly. It just looks much fuller and it takes maybe 5 minutes to put on. My friends thought I just had my hair cut and were amazed it was a wig. My DH loves it; he is tired of me obsessing and wearing myself out on my own crappy hair.

So, what do you wonderful people think?

Margee

We are hair twins - mine is fine, thin, and frizzy. Plus I have a giant Herman Munster forehead so I HAVE to have bangs. I haven't taken the plunge and gotten a full head wig, but I have been saved many times by Ken Paves clip in extensions and also this little Revlon hairpiece which is basically two pieces of hair on bendy wires attached to a comb. I make a bun out of it, clip my own hair up and put the bun on back of my head with the comb. Then I bobby pin it because it blew off my head once in the middle of Philadelphia and I had to chase it down the street! I have a fake claw-clip-on ponytail too which I am going to bring on the next cruise along with the rest of my fake hair.

May I ask where you got your wig? I'm getting really sick of spending a lot of time and money on my hair only to have it look like crap most of the time.

I just want to chime in - I wear wigs all the time. I have 7 of them - long, short, medium length, blonde, dark, highlighted, and red and I wear them all the time - including on cruises. What time of year are you going? (Did I miss reading that?) I have worn my wigs on the ship and off the ship - now in the Caribbean, beaches, etc - a decent hat saves my look - I don't wear a wig. Most wigs are adjustable - there are little elastic tabs inside the wig that you adjust to make the wig as tight on your head as you want. (and you do want it snug but not tight). Also, most wigs are now made with an open weave cap so they are not hot like they used to be. I have never had one blown off (or blown crooked) by the wind - and nowadays, wigs are so realistic that people would never know you have one on. And they are not expensive (unless you go with total human hair) - the most I have paid for any of mine is $150. Look online for Carol Young and order a catalog - they have many brands - even some as low as $50 that look really nice.

Happy sailing.....wig or not! ;)

My wig came from a little wig store in Waco, Texas near where I live. The owner was wonderful and I tried on several styles and lengths before I decided on one. She was able to match my own hair, too. I have now ordered another one with some low-lights (which I also have in my own hair) and I plan on bringing both. Mine are called Osolights and are very comfortable. You can even see thru them if you hold them up to the light.

I am so pleased. I also got a folding wig stand for $5 that will be perfect for traveling.

Margee

Here I am with one of my wigs on (I'm a blond). It really came in handy & my DH loved this color. :)

FOSMewithLion.jpg

Looks fabulous, you'd never know! There are some wig stores in Philadelphia where I work, maybe I will stop in and see what they can do for me. I'd love just to put something on my head rather than fighting with my hair every day.

I made a mistake on my last posting - to look online and order a wig catalog, look up PAULA Young.....I have no idea where I got Carol Young from, but I was cleaning out a magazine rack and realized I had posted the wrong name.

Sorry!!!!

I recommend you go to a wig shop and try on several styles. They will give/sell you a skull cap. This is similar to old fashioned swim caps; just a knitted cap, sort of like the top of a knee-high sized to fit your head snugly. I put 2 large pin curls on each side of my own hair because my own is so fine and thin, I'm afraid I couldn't keep the wig on. After I put the wig on, I use a bobby pin on the back and top. I am still trying different ways and probably over-do the bobby pins. My wig does not move.

Good luck

Margee

My advice is to get a Paula Youg catalog or look at the styles online. Order one & if you don't like just return it, I done this many times. I wear mine at night. I also wear one one the weekend if I don't feel like washing & styling my hair just for a mall run.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a wig for a long time. I don't really have any hair problems, just thought it would be fun to have one.

My problem is having a BIG head! I have worn wigs in the past and they all feel tight on me, so I gave up after getting headaches from wearing them. Are the wigs today roomier for us big-headed women?

(It's a family thing, too: my husband has a big head and can't wear hats unless they are adjustable. And, our poor two sons!!! Big-headed people mating produces size 8 headed children!!)

Oh, a suggestion about hats in port. Sew in a white or beige thin piece of elastic that goes under your chin. I got a hat in American Samoa that had this, and I never worry about it blowing off. Since I had to get a REALLY big hat, the elastic was great for me.

Edited by pcur

A further note on wigs: my friend is going with us on our cruise and she bought a wig from the same shop I got mine at. She got one the same color and style of her own hair. She wore it twice and her husband did not notice; she finally told him.:D It looks terrific.

Margee

• 5 years later...

I've been wearing wigs for years (because I love them and they make me look ten years younger), but for some dumb reason, I didn't take a wig on my first cruise...NEVER AGAIN. And I may not be taking just one! As for securing wigs: I wanted to give some info on that (it was a pain keeping my hat on) too. There is a product called "It Stays which is a sort of glue (which washes off easily with water) which you can use to secure your wig and not worry about it flying away or even sliding. If you want extra reinforcement (you shouldn't need it, but if you feel that you do, use some "toupe tape". You can order both of these things from Amazon or from any wig salon on line. There are tutorials on youtube, too  I recommend "Jill Lynn" who does a whole video on securing your wig  and also  Patti of "Patti's Pearl's" is another. There is great info out there! Also styling tips. I am not sure if I will wear my wig on an excursion IF I am going to wear a hat, but I might. I just know I will never travel without a wig again. it takes too much time to do my hair and then when I'm done, I have a straight flat limp mess. No thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...