Will we see cancellations soon in Holy Land?

luv2cruise391

I wholeheartedly agree that HAL is making the best decision to avoid Israel given the current conditions and I do realize that there will most likelybe a cruise though we may not know the ports.

I also agree or rather would with viewing this as a mystery cruise in almost all other cases. However, my group booked this a Holy Land Sojourn as this cruise was called. I would hope HaL would give us a CHOiCE as to whether go on the cruise or cancel in light of 4 ports being canceled. I would have never spent this much money on a mystery cruise involving international air plus 3 nights pre/post in Athens:(

We have so much further to travel to board our ship - the Noordam - than almost anyone else in the world. It is a 26 hour flight and the cost of the flights to and from Europe would be a least double what anyone else would pay for an Economy flight due to the distance involved.

We did book our cruise because it was calling into Alexadria but of course that was cancelled weeks ago. Then we were given Haifa which was great news. Now of course, that could easily be cancelled. We are not complaining, even though we are paying out a lot of money for flights, accommodation and the cruise because after all it is a wonderful vacation and life is too short to be spent wondering what would have been.

We wanted to go to Egypt for many years but there was always a conflict until 2008, when there was "a window of opportunity" and we were able to visit Luxor and also the Pyramids.

Again, we have always wanted to visit Alexandria but now another conflict is underway in that country. The Middle East is a very volatile area and there is always something happening so if you booked a cruise just because it was going to the Holy Land, the chances of getting there have always been 50-50.

I believe in living for the day and take what you can because who knows what can happen tomorrow.

Jennie

Interesting that the AIDAdiva and Costa Deliziosa (both Carnival-owned ships) are currently steaming toward Ashdod and Haifa respectively.

Even though they are under the same corporate umbrella, individual lines must have some latitude as to port cancellations (those who cite insurance to the contrary).

It is not the first time I've noticed that the lines catering primarily to American passengers will cancel ports much more readily than those catering to passengers outside the US.

Last year my parents were booked on a HAL cruise that was scheduled to visit Tunisia about 7 week after the 9/11 embassy issues in that country (and others). They were disappointed that HAL cancelled the stop at Sousse. On the other hand, I was on a Swan Hellenic cruise in almost exactly the same timeframe (5 days after my parents' scheduled stop we had port stops in La Goulette and Sousse). They did not cancel; in fact, the staff on board looked at me as if I were crazy when I asked the question upon coming aboard.

I believe AIDA and Costa vessels were in one port or the other alongside us as well.

From Holland Americas site.... the contract no one reads lol (BTW - almost all cruiselines have the same section in there contracts with guests...

I suspect most people on Cruise Critic are aware that the cruise contract pretty much lets cruise lines have it every which way there is. :D

It is not the first time I've noticed that the lines catering primarily to American passengers will cancel ports much more readily than those catering to passengers outside the US.

100% agreed. What is 'drama' to one country's citizens is meh to another's. Scott.

We go from 50% penalty to 75% on Sept. 5th.

Still in hopes one in our party (traveling companion) who has been advised by her doctor not to go may help on our insurance.

I KNOW none of this is HAL's fault and I KNOW it is definitely not safe to travel to Israel or other areas in the Mid East for that matter at this time. I AGREE with them canceling ports for the passenger's safety.

I also know that I will be very disappointed in HAL if they do not offer any alternative such as even a future cruise credit, no refund, etc. I realize they are NOT bound to do this, just saying that I would hope they would be a little accommodating on this scenario under these circumstances.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, advice and opinions. It is a difficult and disappointing decision we are making to cancel.

I sincerely hope that others get to go to the ports they booked for:)

They handed out gas masks to all the people in Israel today. To see children on the news trying on their gas masks does not make one think cruise ships will be hurrying to ports in Israel. It is all so frightening.

Syria threatens Israel will be attacked if Syria is attacked.

And Israel will crush Syria. Remember, Israel bombed Syria 3 times in the last year without any retaliation from Syria.

We have so much further to travel to board our ship - the Noordam - than almost anyone else in the world. It is a 26 hour flight and the cost of the flights to and from Europe would be a least double what anyone else would pay for an Economy flight due to the distance involved.

We did book our cruise because it was calling into Alexadria but of course that was cancelled weeks ago. Then we were given Haifa which was great news. Now of course, that could easily be cancelled. We are not complaining, even though we are paying out a lot of money for flights, accommodation and the cruise because after all it is a wonderful vacation and life is too short to be spent wondering what would have been.

We wanted to go to Egypt for many years but there was always a conflict until 2008, when there was "a window of opportunity" and we were able to visit Luxor and also the Pyramids.

Again, we have always wanted to visit Alexandria but now another conflict is underway in that country. The Middle East is a very volatile area and there is always something happening so if you booked a cruise just because it was going to the Holy Land, the chances of getting there have always been 50-50.

I believe in living for the day and take what you can because who knows what can happen tomorrow.

Jennie

Jennie,

What a wonderful attitude. I, too, was lucky enough to get to visit Egypt in 2008, but have had other travel plans wrecked by forces beyond my control. Every trip I plan now, I just say to myself: whatever happens, happens. You make a plan, but understand that it might change. I do hope, however, that I get to meet you on the Rome to Athens segment of our Noordam cruise. :)

We go from 50% penalty to 75% on Sept. 5th.

Still in hopes one in our party (traveling companion) who has been advised by her doctor not to go may help on our insurance.

I KNOW none of this is HAL's fault and I KNOW it is definitely not safe to travel to Israel or other areas in the Mid East for that matter at this time. I AGREE with them canceling ports for the passenger's safety.

I also know that I will be very disappointed in HAL if they do not offer any alternative such as even a future cruise credit, no refund, etc. I realize they are NOT bound to do this, just saying that I would hope they would be a little accommodating on this scenario under these circumstances.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, advice and opinions. It is a difficult and disappointing decision we are making to cancel.

I sincerely hope that others get to go to the ports they booked for:)

Please let us know how it goes when you cancel.

Best Wishes.

Sadly, my group has decided to cancel. We did, however, not get penalized as much as I had expected after talking to a HAL supervisor. So I am happy with that. Atleast we aren;t losing as much as I had anticipated.

Hope everyone gets to the ports they are hoping for:)

Before booking on HAL Oct 20th to Haifa, I was booked on MSC to Egypt and through the Suez Canal. MSC canceled and rerouted the ship to the Canary Islands and as I had been there last year, I had no interest and they did not quibble about returning my deposit.

I am a port intensive cruiser, and am not going on a cruise just to cruise. I can cruise the Caribbean for a whole lot less money. So when they change ports and I know that I would not have signed up for that itinerary if it was the original. I feel I should get a full refund if changed months before the sailing.

Changing while at sea is a whole different story.

Anything less than that would cross HAL off my future cruising list. I cruise 3 to 4 times per year.

I have reached an observation after years of reading posts by cruisers who state, in advance of the issue arising, they will not cruise that cruise line again if they do or do not do something that is not in line with their thinking.

I mean no disrespect to anyone as I know it applies to DH and me as much as to anyone else......

If the cruise line does not sell the cabin to us, they will sell it to someone else. HAL has been in business over 150 years. They managed to sell cabins long before I ever sailed with them and they will sell them after we have gone. :eek:

Sigh, it's just plain fact.

HAL will do what they deem to be the best interest of safety for ship, crew and guest. Our opinions are of no value in making these determinations. They certainly do not go out of their way to inconvenience or displease us but they must do what they and their insurers think the best 'course'.

JMO.......

I have reached an observation after years of reading posts by cruisers who state, in advance of the issue arising, they will not cruise that cruise line again if they do or do not do something that is not in line with their thinking.

I mean no disrespect to anyone as I know it applies to DH and me as much as to anyone else......

If the cruise line does not sell the cabin to us, they will sell it to someone else. HAL has been in business over 150 years. They managed to sell cabins long before I ever sailed with them and they will sell them after we have gone. :eek:

HAL will do what they deem to be the best interest of safety for ship, crew and guest. Our opinions are of no value in making these determinations. They certainly do not go out of their way to inconvenience or displease us but they must do what they and their insurers think the best 'course'.

JMO.......

Exactly.

Its like saying I will never buy a car from xyz car company again. You buy one instead from abc. Meanwhile an enraged abc customer buys one from xyz.

My business won't make or break any cruise line (or car company).

Copper, I was not clear in my earlier response that you took exception to. Yes, of course the cruise line itself did make the decision. But we were told onboard the new itinerary, of course we had to change the cruise. Without an insurance company willing to insure the trip if we went through the Suez Canal, we certainly will not go that route. Maybe the Captain was just giving us a rash of BS.

Now I know that this may not be the case at this point in time, and I defer to your more intimate knowledge. However, until we were onboard we never knew the part that the insurance company played. We did know that we were offered an itinerary almost twice as long and some money back. Fortunately we were able to go, many could not extend their trip and got their full money back. (Those that were willing to wait to hear from the cruise line that is. Those who cancelled before that got nothing back.)

Copper, I was not clear in my earlier response that you took exception to. Yes, of course the cruise line itself did make the decision. But we were told onboard the new itinerary, of course we had to change the cruise. Without an insurance company willing to insure the trip if we went through the Suez Canal, we certainly will not go that route.

Now I know that this may not be the case at this point in time, and I defer to your more intimate knowledge. However, until we were onboard we never knew the part that the insurance company played. We did know that we were offered an itinerary almost twice as long and some money back. Fortunately we were able to go, many could not extend their trip and got their full money back. (Those that were willing to wait to hear from the cruise line that is. Those who cancelled before that got nothing back.)

Hi Wander; I did not take exception to your response! Yes, you are correct that insurance companies could play an eventual part. Having said that, the decision to cancel a port or ports because i.e. it/they is/are deemed unsafe/a hazard, etc. will have been made by the company/cruise line before any insurance co. potentially gets involved.

With the exception of civilian passenger ships getting requisitioned by their respective Dept./Ministry of Defense, i.e. Cunard's QE 2 and P&O's Canberra in the 1982 Falklands Campaign, I am not aware of any cruise lines knowingly sailing their passenger ships into potential war zones with their.insurance companies desperately trying to cancel them. Have a nice one!

JMO.......

Sorry, I know my statement " Never cruise with them is hallow " My real message is " being on board when ports are changed is one thing and knowing 6 to 8 weeks in an advance is another ! Not giving a full refund for a known change in advance is " we promised you a Cadillac, but you must accept any car we deliver"

Sorry, I know my statement " Never cruise with them is hallow " My real message is " being on board when ports are changed is one thing and knowing 6 to 8 weeks in an advance is another ! Not giving a full refund for a known change in advance is " we promised you a Cadillac, but you must accept any car we deliver"

I understand your point and certainly your possible disappointment if the itinerary is drastically changed.

I do not agree that HAL has an obligation to make refunds because of a change of itinerary when they did not create the problem.

If the ship was disabled in some way and could not sail, then certainly HAL would owe refunds.

But because of possible war or warlike actions...... they do not owe a refund IMO so long as you board, you sail the given number of days, you eat the given number of meals, you receive the service you expect and you sail wherever HAL/Captain/Department of State/Insurers deem safe and reasonable.

We all know when we book a cruise, they have unquestionable right to change the entire itinerary and cancel any and all ports. If we cannot accept that, we should not be booking cruises.

I would be just as disappointed as you.

We have been on cruises where ports were cancelled.

We had a cruise literally end two and a half days early and we left the ship because we were back at disembark port which happens to be our home. HAL making plans to stay safe during a hurricane which never came on the path they expected but that's another story.

These are the truths about cruising.

I hope all turns out well in Syria and the region for the short term and the long term but we all know this is a problem of centuries and not likely to end this month.

I know this is not a popular post but I think most know it is the truth.

If we can't sail through the Suez Canal, next January, we really have no cruise! This is a real concern! :(

If you can't sail through the Suez Canal, you likely will get "A" cruise but it won't be "THE" cruise you counted on. You still have time before final payment to decide if you want to take the risk.

I understand your point and certainly your possible disappointment if the itinerary is drastically changed.

I do not agree that HAL has an obligation to make refunds because of a change of itinerary when they did not create the problem.

If the ship was disabled in some way and could not sail, then certainly HAL would owe refunds.

But because of possible war or warlike actions...... they do not owe a refund IMO so long as you board, you sail the given number of days, you eat the given number of meals, you receive the service you expect and you sail wherever HAL/Captain/Department of State/Insurers deem safe and reasonable.

We all know when we book a cruise, they have unquestionable right to change the entire itinerary and cancel any and all ports. If we cannot accept that, we should not be booking cruises.

I would be just as disappointed as you.

We have been on cruises where ports were cancelled.

We had a cruise literally end two and a half days early and we left the ship because we were back at disembark port which happens to be our home. HAL making plans to stay safe during a hurricane which never came on the path they expected but that's another story.

These are the truths about cruising.

I hope all turns out well in Syria and the region for the short term and the long term but we all know this is a problem of centuries and not likely to end this month.

I know this is not a popular post but I think most know it is the truth.

If you can't sail through the Suez Canal, you likely will get "A" cruise but it won't be "THE" cruise you counted on. You still have time before final payment to decide if you want to take the risk.

Disagree that we have to accept any itinerary they change well in advance of sailing 6 weeks or more and not being able to cancel and get a refund. It seems possible that they have insurance against this possibility.

What your saying is they could stay in the departure port on a ten day cruise and there is nothing you can do about it. They are giving you 3 meals a day and you can swim in the pool, so they are covered.

Yes, I think that is what I am saying.

I am not saying I like it, approve of it, agree with it but read the cruise contract.

It is my understanding they can cancel some ports, all ports and just about everything in the contract leans in cruise line's favor.

When you did the pre-cruise, on line check in, did you read the whole long section that had a box on the bottom of the page that you had to click saying 'I accept'? You agreed to all the terms on that page.

If we can't sail through the Suez Canal, next January, we really have no cruise! This is a real concern! :(

can't blame you at all for this feeling. Part of the reason we booked the P'dam cruise the year before was the opportunity to sail down the river to Seville and dock there instead of going to Cadiz. Unfortunately, Spain with it's economic problems did not clean out the silt so no ship could go down and our itinerary was changed to Cadiz. (groan). Our roll call was disappointed of course, but we made the best of it and still had a wonderful cruise.

I totally understand where you are coming from. There are some things that there is no control over.

That being said, I do feel that if an itinerary has been drastically changed then there should either be (a) the option to cancel or (b) a serious price reduction/obc given to those on the cruise. Our change wouldn't have warranted it but a Holy Land cruise where there could be no Holy Land would I would think. But it's just my opinion.

And yes, I have read the contract and I do know that company is covered ........ but.... it would be nice if some fairness was also applied.

I wholeheartedly agree that HAL is making the best decision to avoid Israel given the current conditions and I do realize that there will most likelybe a cruise though we may not know the ports.

I also agree or rather would with viewing this as a mystery cruise in almost all other cases. However, my group booked this a Holy Land Sojourn as this cruise was called. I would hope HaL would give us a CHOiCE as to whether go on the cruise or cancel in light of 4 ports being canceled. I would have never spent this much money on a mystery cruise involving international air plus 3 nights pre/post in Athens:(

We are coming a long way from Australia- spending carefully saved money to see places we've dreamed of. A mystery tour may be fun, but it was not what we saved & planned for.:(

We are coming a long way from Australia- spending carefully saved money to see places we've dreamed of. A mystery tour may be fun, but it was not what we saved & planned for.:(

We too are in the "same boat", excuse the pun as you are but as we cannot do anything about the world situation, we do have to go with flow and accept what will be. At least we will be visiting some places that we haven't seen before and others we have been to. We think of it as a wonderful vacation that we are lucky to be able to do and even if the ship didn't leave Rome, we would find plenty to do for 3 weeks in fabulous Italy.

There is always a silver lining if you look for it. I am a positive person and I always try to find the best out of even the worst scenarios. Hence, I have named this trip our Mystery Voyage as already we have been changed once already and probably we will be changed again.

Jennie

Archived