Will we see cancellations soon in Holy Land?

luv2cruise391

I would caution you to tamp down your expectation that the cruise will be cancelled. The Mediterranean Sea is quite large relative to the area likely to be impacted by any action in Syria.

If anything, your cruise will possibly change some ports.

I know you are very tied to Israel. Israel is always iffy even before the issues in Syria. A number of cruises either cancelled stops there or diverted to other ports (some went to Haifa but not Ashdod, for example) just last year when rockets were being fired by the Palestinians. This happens periodically.

I know it is not any consolation to you, but I agree with many others who have always said that if one area or port is of overwhelming importance to you on a cruise, you are better off taking a land trip there.

Ports get canceled for a variety of reasons, most of which you have no control over, and some of which wouldn't affect a land vacation. Also, a land vacation wouldn't divert you somewhere else if there were issues in the country you want to visit -- they'd likely just cancel the entire trip.

Also, you might start out with Israel on the itinerary and then something might happen that would cause the ship to change ports mid cruise. The situation is so unsettled in the middle east, that unfortunately,anything is possible.

We started out on the Cunard Holy Land cruise last November, with planned stops in Ashod and Alexandria - when we arrived on-board they passed out notes that we would not be going to Isreal (2 nights) - something about rockets flying over the areas where we would be. :eek: So the odyssey began . . . not knowing where we were going and when we would get there... ports shuffled - Antalya(great history museum!) and Rhodes (ancient walled city) added in the next few days... then 2 sea days southbound to Egypt... 15 miles offshore - a u-turn :confused: - something about a new president and riots in the streets and strikes at the port. Another day and a half we make an unscheduled stop in Malta. Three places not on the original itenerary - three places we would not have picked off a map to visit - three delightful port cities we are certainly glad to have visited in addition to Santorini, Limasol, Mykonos and Ephesus.

I am a "planner" - change/uncertanty is not in my nature... BUT, we did really enjoy the stops. Crown Gem of the whole trip was the co-cathederal in Malta - a building almost more magnificent that even St. Peter's in the Vatican. :)

Cunard, HAL (and the others) will not put their assets (ships and passengers) at risk - a lovely time will be had.

Discount the disappointment of not seeing the places you paid for... :(

A war is being thrown but nobody seems to want to come (except for the French).

The bad news is the situation is still volatile and this might not be the year to cruise the region. I say this in full knowledge that people have already booked and it represents a major disappointment and inconvenience. Destination travel has always been that way though.

As I imagined it would happen, the Noordam is heading towards Bodrum, Turkey instead of the scheduled Haifa, Israel port of call. It's a pity that the passengers won't be able to visit Israel, but I am sure HAL is making the right and safe decision.

I found this information in http://www.marinetraffic.com

The ship left from Rhodes this afternoon and is now sailing towards Bodrum.

Rotterdam,

How right you are, HAL was financially in very serious trouble and almost assuredly have gone out of business if Carnival had not stepped in with $$$$. I am old enough and I was living in Seattle, to remember it well. So, many things were different in that era. (Yes, I realize this was not what you were implying about changes. And I must say that for a number of years after that, things stayed relatively the same. People love to blame Carnival for more recent changes, and perhaps that is a part of it, but so is the economy.

Also thanks for the website on marine traffic- very helpful!

I think it IS e coming clearer that we will most likely not go to Israel either but other ports. We've already had Egypt changed and now probably Israel:)

But probably no choice on a possible refund:(

We are booked on the Noordam for a 22 day cruise Rome to Rome in early October. We were originally going to Port Said and Alexandria in Egypt. Then we were changed to Haifa in Israel and Limassol in Cyprus. We were very happy with the changes and we were looking forward to visiting both Jerusalem and Bethlehem.

Now, it looks as though it is up in the air with what is happening in that part of the world. I am hoping that we will be given an interesting port to take the place of Haifa.

Whatever will be will be and I am thinking of our cruise as a mystery cruise as we really don't know what areas will be affected in the next few weeks if there is an invasion.

Of course if the cruise is cancelled, I would be very happy to spend the 3 weeks in Italy which is one of our favourite countries. I doubt if HAL would cancel a cruise, they may just move us to a safer area of the Mediterranean.

Jennie

I would be very surprised if a cruise was cancelled. No cruise line wants to give up the revenue and keep the fixed costs of maintaining a ship with no passengers.

I would expect them to simply change the itinerary.

We were able to snag some great bargains on three fabulous cruises in the Med because general concern over issues in Greece and Turkey. We also did land trips to Greece and Turkey-and had a wonderful time without any issues whatsoever. If we can get the right air and the right cruise we will do it again in early October.

The news reports can be misleading. News here in NA is really part news and part entertainment. The goal is to get the viewer to keep tuning in day after day. The news reports are often constructed to do just that by adding as much drama and suspense as possible.

Wait and see what happens.

Also thanks for the website on marine traffic- very helpful!

I think it IS e coming clearer that we will most likely not go to Israel either but other ports. We've already had Egypt changed and now probably Israel:)

But probably no choice on a possible refund:(

It is highly likely you will board and there will be a cruise. Where it will go is another story. However, HAL did nothing to bar the ship from visiting the ports and is not responsible for refunds IMO

Were it mechanical problems with the ship, I would feel differently but it is not any fault of HAL.

I wholeheartedly agree that HAL is making the best decision to avoid Israel given the current conditions and I do realize that there will most likelybe a cruise though we may not know the ports.

I also agree or rather would with viewing this as a mystery cruise in almost all other cases. However, my group booked this a Holy Land Sojourn as this cruise was called. I would hope HaL would give us a CHOiCE as to whether go on the cruise or cancel in light of 4 ports being canceled. I would have never spent this much money on a mystery cruise involving international air plus 3 nights pre/post in Athens:(

The challenge for HAL if they offered cancellations would be finding customers to book those cabins at the same price at this late stage in the game. That would not happen, hence the chances of HAL, or any other line, offering free cancellation is about nil.

We were booked on the cruise at the bottom of my signature. We were informed almost a month ago that at least 3 ports were changed and therefore we cancelled.

We chose that cruise because we wanted to see the ports listed in the original itinerary. We are still looking for another cruise.

I would be very surprised if a cruise was cancelled. No cruise line wants to give up the revenue and keep the fixed costs of maintaining a ship with no passengers.

I would expect them to simply change the itinerary.

We were able to snag some great bargains on three fabulous cruises in the Med because general concern over issues in Greece and Turkey. We also did land trips to Greece and Turkey-and had a wonderful time without any issues whatsoever. If we can get the right air and the right cruise we will do it again in early October.

The news reports can be misleading. News here in NA is really part news and part entertainment. The goal is to get the viewer to keep tuning in day after day. The news reports are often constructed to do just that by adding as much drama and suspense as possible.

Wait and see what happens.

No doubt they will try to re-route. HAL changed a ship on us once and gave us a chance to cancel. They upgraded from Maasdam to Rotterdam so we saw no reason. Perhaps HAL would do the same in the event of a major re-route.

Its almost sacrilegious to call NA news part entertainment. Would I not want to get my tail shot off I would express it stronger than that. I am glad we travelled the region when we did.

The challenge for HAL if they offered cancellations would be finding customers to book those cabins at the same price at this late stage in the game. That would not happen, hence the chances of HAL, or any other line, offering free cancellation is about nil.

I don't know how many ships are sailing on that route but in our case they redeployed one ship, leaving only one to fill. I think its possible but as you say we have to wait and see.

...I would have never spent this much money on a mystery cruise involving international air plus 3 nights pre/post in Athens:(

Also Athens could be problematic with the one and two day strikes they spring on you. The good news here is that Greeks are much more sensitive today than they were even a year ago with respect to what it means to shut down an airport or port for even one day.

We booked a Celebrity TA cruise because it called in Casablanca, and they cancelled the port after final payment. I know how you feel but I don't think HAL will leave you without options.

A holy land cruise has to be a painful one to have messed with. I am truly sorry. I would really like to know what HAL offers.

FYI, there were so many complaints on the Celebrity roll call about the ports lost that X offered all kinds of discounts ostensibly unrelated to the port changes. They were related to age, past passenger, city of residence etc. Just about everyone on the board could find a discount appropriate to them and you could claim it retroactively. The thing was, unless you had an aggressive travel agent, you might now have known about the discounts. For the most part the people that claimed them were the people on cruise critic.

I think these boards are the cruisers best friend.:)

I wholeheartedly agree that HAL is making the best decision to avoid Israel given the current conditions and I do realize that there will most likelybe a cruise though we may not know the ports.

I also agree or rather would with viewing this as a mystery cruise in almost all other cases. However, my group booked this a Holy Land Sojourn as this cruise was called. I would hope HaL would give us a CHOiCE as to whether go on the cruise or cancel in light of 4 ports being canceled. I would have never spent this much money on a mystery cruise involving international air plus 3 nights pre/post in Athens:(

But.....

Who would make up the losses to HAL if all those cruises they sold cancelled?

Were the issue HAL's doing, that would be one thing but it isn't.

I understand your position and likely would feel the same as you but we all know all cruise lines can totally change any itinerary unilaterally with no input from guests. This is a grave matter of serious safety issues. It's hard to quarrel with that, IMO

We are on the Rotterdam "Holy Land" cruise also and initially were so disappointed about the cancellation of Egypt (but totally understand). Now possibly no Israel. Those were the two places for booking this cruise since we've been to Greece/Turkey before on a HAL cruise. I have Israel tours tentatively booked through a private tour company but now don't know if I should go ahead with payment. My inclination is not to. I hope if Israel gets cancelled we have a choice to do the cruise or cancel with refund.

From Holland Americas site.... the contract no one reads lol (BTW - almost all cruiselines have the same section in there contracts with guests

http://www.hollandamerica.com/legalAndPrivacy/Main.action

"

5. Change in Itinerary/Cancellation/Cabotage Laws: (a) Although we will use our best efforts to provide you with the Cruise, Cruisetour and/or Land Trips, situations may occur which require that changes be made. By way of example only, we may adjust itineraries and schedules, delay departures or arrivals, or cancel a Cruise, Cruisetour or Land Trip, due to casualty, weather, labor problems, the need to render assistance to others, governmental or insurer directives, passenger or employee injury or illness, schedule delays or changes by third parties, repair and maintenance requirements, fuel or other shortages, or damage to the Ship, other means of transportation, roads, tracks, bridges, docks, equipment or machinery. Furthermore, the Master of the Ship or of any other vessel as well as the operator of any other means of transportation may, in his/her sole discretion, elect not to proceed in the ordinary course. Consequently, we cannot guarantee the itinerary of the Cruise, Cruisetour or any Land Trip (including time of sailing from or arrival at any port or that all ports will, in fact, be called at, or that all places on your Cruisetour or Land Trip will be visited). We reserve the right to provide you with alternative transportation whenever the Cruise, Cruisetour or Land Trip is unable to proceed or be completed in the ordinary course or, in the case of hotels, to substitute facilities of similar category in cases where the planned hotel is unavailable due to overbooking or otherwise.

(b) Your safety is very important to us. For safety or other reasons that we believe qualify as good cause, we may, without notice, substitute any suitable ship, ships or other means of transportation, change any date of sailing or travel or cancel any sailing, Cruisetour segment, port of call, Cruisetour or Land Trip destination or stopover, or the entire Land Trip, Cruise or Cruisetour.

© If the Cruise or Cruisetour or a Land Trip is cancelled, we may disembark you at any port or terminate your travel at any location, and transship and forward (at our expense, but at your risk) you and your property to or toward a port or location from which you may return home or to the Ship, as appropriate. The means of conveyance may or may not belong to us and may or may not proceed directly to the desired destination. If a Cruise, Cruisetour or Land Trip is cancelled before commencement, you will be entitled, as your exclusive remedy, to receive the applicable Refund Amount. If a Cruise, Cruisetour or Land Trip is cancelled after commencement, you will be entitled, as your exclusive remedy, to receive the applicable Refund Amount less a reasonable allowance for transportation and services already provided to you. The reasonable allowance will be determined on a pro rata basis by taking into account the time missed relative to the scheduled duration of the Cruise, Cruisetour or Land Trip. Notwithstanding the foregoing, we are not obligated to issue any refund to you in the event of a cancelled Land Trip to Half Moon Cay.

(d) You acknowledge that for round trip cruises commencing in a country that stop in other ports of that country, you may visit but may not permanently disembark in any port in that country other than the port of embarkation. If you do disembark in a different port in that country, a fine or penalty may be imposed by that country's government. In consideration of the fare paid, you hereby agree to pay any such fine or penalty imposed because of your failure to complete the entire Cruise. "

Archived