Repositioning without passengers?

SnowshoeCat

The Ecstasy is finishing a 5-night cruise on Jan 9 at Port Canaveral, then leaving on a 3-night sailing from Miami on Jan 10. It seems she will spend the winter sailing out of Miami.

So what happens on the night of the 9th? Does she sail empty to Miami? I'm guessing she can't get to a distant foreign port in that short of a time frame, so they can't take passengers.

I just thought this was interesting and somewhat unusual. But maybe not. Any thoughts? Is this unusual, preferred, last place option to move a ship? I'm just curious.

That is what they'll do. The crew will clean and then probably get the evening off to have a deck party. The ship will roll into Miami already prepped and the guest will be able to go straight to their cabins.

This year and last year the Glory went from Miami-->Norfolk-->Boston-->New York-->Norfolk-->Miami without any guests. The Cruise Director's wife even had to debark the ship between ports because she was not crew.

I don't know if it's "always", but I have heard when it's short like that, sometimes it's a break for the crew, to an extent. I'd love to be right - it sounds really cool to think of the crew being able to relax for such a long time!

It happens sometimes.

After DESTINY got chartered for Cricket 2007 here in Barbados

there was some left-over idle time, so 3,000 of us islanders paid for a 4-day cruise!

When we disembarked

we were told she was sailing empty, back to home port in San Juan, Puerto Rico

to resume normal scheduled sailings.

The crew must love it, having the ship to themselves,

no idiot passengers to cater to, deck parties,

little work -must make a welcome relief!

I don't know if it's "always", but I have heard when it's short like that, sometimes it's a break for the crew, to an extent. I'd love to be right - it sounds really cool to think of the crew being able to relax for such a long time!

That's what I'm thinking, too. Even just one night without having to be "on" must be a nice break.

I've always complained about Carnival not offering nearly as many repositioning cruises as other lines. Seems they've decided that actually offering these makes some sense.

I did Glory to Bermuda on her only sailing there in October 2011 after being moved from the New England cruises.

I boarded (solo) and, of course, we were told that the cabins wouldn't be ready until 1:30.

What do you mean? You sailed here without any passengers! Why wouldn't the cabins be ready?

Finally got someone in an Ask Me t-shirt to go to the desk and find out, and, sure enough, they came on the intercom shortly after and said that the cabins were now ready! Creatures of habit, I suppose.

Anyway, I also was quizzing one of the crew members about the sailing from NY to Norfolk and he implied that they had pretty much partied the entire time. I know a few looked like they could've used a few more hours of sleep. :p

I've always complained about Carnival not offering nearly as many repositioning cruises as other lines. Seems they've decided that actually offering these makes some sense.

I did Glory to Bermuda on her only sailing there in October 2011 after being moved from the New England cruises.

I boarded (solo) and, of course, we were told that the cabins wouldn't be ready until 1:30.

What do you mean? You sailed here without any passengers! Why wouldn't the cabins be ready?

Finally got someone in an Ask Me t-shirt to go to the desk and find out, and, sure enough, they came on the intercom shortly after and said that the cabins were now ready! Creatures of habit, I suppose.

Anyway, I also was quizzing one of the crew members about the sailing from NY to Norfolk and he implied that they had pretty much partied the entire time. I know a few looked like they could've used a few more hours of sleep. :p

amazing that they actually said cabins not ready to 1 30. Wonder how long before the first person asked why this would be.

That is what they'll do. The crew will clean and then probably get the evening off to have a deck party. The ship will roll into Miami already prepped and the guest will be able to go straight to their cabins.

This year and last year the Glory went from Miami-->Norfolk-->Boston-->New York-->Norfolk-->Miami without any guests. The Cruise Director's wife even had to debark the ship between ports because she was not crew.

We were on a Repo cruise on the HAL Amsterdam that only had 188 pax onboard. I thought the ship was clean when we got on. She SHINED when we left. The crew will be assigned 'Spring Cleaning' duties.

They are doing a 9 night when the Dream moves from Port Canaveral to New Orleans. Looks like a nice itinerary at a decent, but with the wife being a teacher, can't squeeze it in.

They are doing a 9 night when the Dream moves from Port Canaveral to New Orleans. Looks like a nice itinerary at a decent, but with the wife being a teacher, can't squeeze it in.

Biggest problem for us is the cost of the air as we live in a small town with no discount airlines serving us

I'm doing Leg 2 of the Conquest repo in November. Jumped on it the minute I saw it. Had hoped to do a 10-14 day (maybe even a B2B2B on 3 different Victory itineraries), but I love San Juan and love the ports (and get a new one in St Maarten).

I may book Leg 2 of the Pride repo for December 2014 (also 8 nights, some of the same ports).

I actually got very good airfare. RDU-SJU for $126 and FLL-RDU home for $121 on SW, so no bag fees, either.

Also got a good deal on the Sheraton in OSJ right across from the pier for only $114/night for 2 nights, and staying in Ft Lauderdale after returning (to Miami) at a Hyatt Place for only $78!

And my inside cabin is <$100/night for a solo.

Just too good to pass up. Oh, and I'll be celebrating my birthday on the cruise, too. :D

Biggest problem for us is the cost of the air as we live in a small town with no discount airlines serving us

I understand. I saw some repositioning cruises from Europe to here, 16 night (or something like that) for a little more than a 7 night. Then you add in airfare to Europe and it gets really expensive.

3 years ago I sailed the Miracle out of NYC in May, and then out of Miami in October. The October cruise was the first in MIA. I asked my PVP if I could hop the ship in NYC and sail down with them, and he said that the ships have to sail empty within US waters, some act or the other. Too bad, because I could get to NYC for less than $50, compared to the $275 flight. I even volunteered to help clean, and was still denied. It was pretty nice to board super early tho when the ship was in Miami. No pax to unload.

I understand. I saw some repositioning cruises from Europe to here, 16 night (or something like that) for a little more than a 7 night. Then you add in airfare to Europe and it gets really expensive.

Hope to figure this out next year as it is time to see more of the world.

:p

Carnival offers less repo cruises because most of their ships stay in the same port and offer the same cruises year round. Unlike other lines that move multiple ships to Alaska, Europe, South America, etc every year and then have to move them back to the Caribbean at the end of every season.

We were on a Repo cruise on the HAL Amsterdam that only had 188 pax onboard. I thought the ship was clean when we got on. She SHINED when we left. The crew will be assigned 'Spring Cleaning' duties.

That's what I figured. I can't imagine Carnival letting the crew just party all day and night.

After I retired from my regular job, I got a job as a Maintenance/Custodian at our schools. If there was a snow day or spring/Christmas break, we worked harder during those days that we did any other time. They called it "Catch-up" time. Doing the things that normally don't get done because of time constraints.

If this were a multi-day repositioning cruise, I would expect them to be doing the "spring cleaning", but it's just one night. I'm sure (figuratively) there are some overdue projects that would get done. So for one night, would you expect the crew to work extra hard to catch up, or let them have a break once the necessary things are taken care of?

If this were a multi-day repositioning cruise, I would expect them to be doing the "spring cleaning", but it's just one night. I'm sure (figuratively) there are some overdue projects that would get done. So for one night, would you expect the crew to work extra hard to catch up, or let them have a break once the necessary things are taken care of?

They have fun too

It is a legal issues about a non US flagged vessel carrying passengers between two US cities. The Jones Act states that only US crewed and flagged vessels can carry passengers between US cities

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_Marine_Act_of_1920

The Jones Act actually only applies to shipping Cargo between ports. Has absolutely nothing to do with passengers or cruises. It is the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 that actually bans non-us flagged ships from transporting passengers between US ports without visiting a distant foreign port.

Archived