Future Soda Package Policy

Dspcentury

To the contrary...If I can't drink the soda and my if my wife does drink the soda than they are saying that I have to buy this package.

This policy is not happening right now but maybe considered in the future....

I think the idea was that you don't have to by the soda package at all, you can either bring your own onboard, or you can pay per drink.

That's what I got out of it anyway.

The other way would be to really check who is using the card. I often just had to show either the sticker without handing them my card or only the souvenir cup. If they really scanned the card to check the picture it could be a first step to prevent abuse.

But I would prefer if they keep the process of ordering as easy as it is now and instead do the change mentioned by the OP.

The other way would be to really check who is using the card. I often just had to show either the sticker without handing them my card or only the souvenir cup. If they really scanned the card to check the picture it could be a first step to prevent abuse.

One person can still visit three different bars within minutes to supply drinks for their whole family while on sun deck.

I also called NCL last week to ask about purchasing a case of bottled water on board (which we were offered on boarding day on our NCL Jade western Mediterranean cruise and which we bought - I drink a lot of water and prefer bottled water) - the NCL rep said they never sell cases of bottled water on board - go figure....maybe the Mediterranean cruise was an exception).

The NCL rep told me TWICE - why don't you just buy a case of water and/or case of soda - and carry it on board - she said there is no limit to the quantity of water and soft drinks you can bring on board..

I don't drink soda and would be very upset if I was forced to pay for something that I don't drink....

What a lot of people are missing is that for NCL to consider this infers that people are abusing the system which ultimately means less revenue for the company.

This gives them three options to maintain their profit margin

1) Abandon the packages

2) Enforce all members of the cabin to buy a package

3) Raise the cruise fare so everyone pays for the few who abuse the system.

It sounds reasonable to have the new policy but IMO overall a bad decision.

Soda is not like alcohol, the costs do not come close to comparing.

Put any soda in a paper cup and the cup costs more than the soda in it, I bet

the avg. cost is under .10c. Even a heavy soda drinker will not down $2.00

worth in a day.

The cost of Soda for a 4person group if all used one card would still make money

for NCL, even with washing real glasses.

When I sold Soda the cost was about .06c per 12oz. serving.

It sounds reasonable to have the new policy but IMO overall a bad decision.

Soda is not like alcohol, the costs do not come close to comparing.

Put any soda in a paper cup and the cup costs more than the soda in it, I bet

the avg. cost is under .10c. Even a heavy soda drinker will not down $2.00

worth in a day.

The cost of Soda for a 4person group if all used one card would still make money

for NCL, even with washing real glasses.

When I sold Soda the cost was about .06c per 12oz. serving.

Yes, those are the real costs, but as with alcohol, the markup from fountain soda is a noticeable source of revenue for the companies and nobody sells soda for cost price so the price paid to wholesale is completely irrelevant in this case.

Every soda not sold to possibly less drinking family members not having bought the soda package is lost revenue to the company. There is a reason why NCL sells the $16 bottle of rum for 5-fold price for consumption onboard (which is still less than buying it a drink at the time) - it's all part of total economics behind the cruise pricing, IIRC only about half of passenger revenue comes from the cruise ticket itself and without revenues from bars etc. the base price for the cruise would be a lot higher.

Yes, those are the real costs, but as with alcohol, the markup from fountain soda is a noticeable source of revenue for the companies and nobody sells soda for cost price so the price paid to wholesale is completely irrelevant in this case.

Every soda not sold to possibly less drinking family members not having bought the soda package is lost revenue to the company. There is a reason why NCL sells the $16 bottle of rum for 5-fold price for consumption onboard (which is still less than buying it a drink at the time) - it's all part of total economics behind the cruise pricing, IIRC only about half of passenger revenue comes from the cruise ticket itself and without revenues from bars etc. the base price for the cruise would be a lot higher.

The base price of my room is 18 grand, I should not have to spend another $300 for soda

Just saying.....

deleted

The base price of my room is 18 grand, I should not have to spend another $300 for soda

Just saying.....

In some suites you don't need to pay for soda (in cabin) but when you look at the prices of other cruise lines that include the soda to the cruise price, total is a lot higher than just $300.

Just saying... ;)

They will lose money on someone like me. I can just as easy buy 2 or 3 (12) packs of Pepsi for under 10 bucks, Not only would NCL lose $50+ in revenue, the waiters will lose the dollar tip I always give on every soda and I would still take a cup of ice from either the buffet or the bar.

If it goes through that is our plan, cause the 2 out of our 4 in cabin will never drink the price of 4 buying it by the glass....but next they will ban us bringing it onboard!

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3

Lot's of post on a topic that is a maybe/someone said/I heard/could be/might be in the future, etc!!!

For jimmie, if you are in an 18 grand suite, you do not have to pay for soda, it comes with the suite. So does the booze.

Lets start a new post, I hear from a cousin who know a Captain that NCL is going to start sailing it's ships backward to allow the stern passengers a forward view, this may happen in a month, book now if you want to get one last cruise in before the change!!!;)

I was told today by a representative of NCL that they are discussing a policy in the future that if one person in the cabin purchase a soda package that both or all cruisers in the cabin would have to purchase it. They said there are too many instances were people are sharing the package. As of right now, if you purchase an alcohol package..everyone in the cabin has to take the package.

As far as the soda package is concern..I feel that is not right because people like myself who have medical conditions who does not drink soda should be subject to this policy....

I agree. I don't drink alcohol or soda and don't want to be forced to pay for a package that I'll never use just because they feel like some people are getting over on them. I mean honestly, soda is cheaper than water so I've never even understood why it's not just free. It's cheaper than dirt.

Sailing on the Gem this Saturday August 31. We will get an answer regarding the soda cards! Hubby usually gets one, I prefer water mix in's. If we both are required to purchase one, we will purchase none.

I don't blame you.

Whilst I can not confirm which statement is right (whole cabin does or whole cabin doesn't have to buy it). I seem to remember ALL of us having our cards checked on the Jade a few years back, when ordering multiples. This would have negated the ability to give everyone free soda's altogether. I also remember thinking that it had only just paid for itself on that Vacation. If a non-soda drinker was effectively forced; the real soda drinker would probably have to be drinking one heck of a lot of soda to actually make it worth-while buying two.

When you consider the high-profit there is on Post Mix dispensers (I used to work for a fast food restaurant) I am surpised there's not a sensible 'cabin charge' to make if still-affordable if it is to be on an all or none basis.

FWIW we are on the MSC splendida in October and selected their Non Premium Alchohol inclusive Package. They DO enforce ALL of the cabin buy-into that one!!

While I agree that we bring this on ourselves; I disagree that everyone should be punished for a few rule breakers. I do not see how they FORCE us to purchase a package for all ppl in a room if only one really wants/uses it. They are going to end up not selling any because like most others on here, I will bring my own soda from now on. I used to buy one for myself and my kiddos.

Taking a two week cruise next year with my mother. Im a soda drinker and she is not. She shouldn't have to pay for the package just because I am. And I shouldn't have to pay double because she isn't a soda drinker. Its a lose lose situation. IMHO.

On our recent trip we found that the servers are the biggest violators of the policy.

We got the soda card for our 2 kids. If my wife or I also got a soda when getting them one, we'd have our card out to pay and they'd waive us off. We actually said a few times that we had to pay for ours but they said not to worry about it. It was almost like the cost of the soda and tip wasn't worth the trouble for them.

I didn't want to feel guilty abusing the policy, so I ordered alcohol drinks instead. :D

BTW, in what regions do people call Soda....... "pop"........I've heard that before but didn't want to come out and ask those people where do they say that. :D

This is a cool "breakdown" of the nation on this:

http://www.popvssoda.com/

Can even see the breakdown by county.

In my neck of the woods, Pop is used most often, but all of them: soda, soda-pop, soft drink, pop, coke are used pretty regularly.

I really don't want to see the requirement of "if one, all must purchase" on the soda cards either.

My point about the Soda cards is that they do not compare to alcohol, Soda is so cheap

that perhaps they would sell and make more profit if they lowered the price and did

not apply a all or none policy to card sales.

Use Soda as a marketing draw and selling more rather than another stand alone profit center

and selling less overall.

I'm sure those of you in the midwest remember how Soda re-fills are used to draw people to various

gas service stations.

Archived