Epic 17004 or 17030?

tarps14

We will be cruising in January on the Epic and are having a very difficult time deciding. We are currently booked in 17004, however, 17030 is also available. We are cabin dwellers and like to spend time on our balcony. We have read that privacy can be an issue in 17030 because of the pool deck. However, in pictures it appears that the pool deck is some distance from the cabin balcony. This cabin also looks like it might be a bit larger in square footage and the balcony definitely looks bigger than 17004. Are we correct in these assumptions? Any advice you guys can give us would be greatly appreciated.

We will be cruising in January on the Epic and are having a very difficult time deciding. We are currently booked in 17004, however, 17030 is also available. We are cabin dwellers and like to spend time on our balcony. We have read that privacy can be an issue in 17030 because of the pool deck. However, in pictures it appears that the pool deck is some distance from the cabin balcony. This cabin also looks like it might be a bit larger in square footage and the balcony definitely looks bigger than 17004. Are we correct in these assumptions? Any advice you guys can give us would be greatly appreciated.

I can help you with this :) This past March I was in 17030 but for this coming March I've booked 17004. The suite itself was beautiful but the noise, not people noise but music during the day from the lower deck was a bit much at times. This year the weather was a bit cooler and it would have been nice some days to have the balcony doors open to catch a breeze but if DH had the TV on this was impossible as he couldn't hear the TV over the deck music. I love reading and normally noise doesn't bother me but to read out on the balcony I found this distracting. The other thing was regardless of what time you got up in the am if you wanted to step out on your balcony you needed to be covered up as even at 5 am people were out on the main deck either grabbing chairs for the day or watching the sun rise. Your balcony is pretty exposed and there were quite often people looking up at you. So I'd have to say if you want to be right in the thick of things take 17030 but if you want something more private go with 17004. Also the view from the balcony on 17030 the majority of it is over the pool deck and while it wraps around slightly to the side to get a nice water view you had to stand and sort of look over and down. The balcony in 17030 is bigger but if there is just 2 of you it's much bigger than one needs, also 17030 is a bigger suite but again with just 2 people either suite has ton's of room. If you are more than 2 people there is no way I'd do the DOS as you then have to turn your living room/dining room into a bedroom so I would for sure choose a 2 bedroom villa. I've sent you a friend request so I'm not sure thru this we can communicate or I can provide you with my email and send you some pic's of 17030.

Edited by dlynn0366

Dlynn 0366......thank you, thank you, thank you! This is the kind of info I needed. We would rather not be "on display" while out on the balcony. And I like island music , just not each and every day, all day. :rolleyes: I think we will definitely stick with 17004. We have looked at all the pix on another 'cruise deck' website, but, pictures online can be very deceiving and 'objects in mirror are closer than they appear' apparently ;). At times we love to sit on the balcony and just watch the ocean go by and it sounds as if it would be more like watching the people go by instead in 17030. It's only the two of us this trip so no worries there. We've had the two bedroom villa in the past and liked it well enough. The only complaint I had with it is I'm not wild about the bedroom being so tucked back in the alcove where you can't really see out when you first wake up (that, and the fact that we were directly below the free weights in the gym. Learned a very valuable lesson there. Always check what's above and below you when booking!). The view might be the thing I'm looking forward to the most with the Epic DOS. The wrap around windows in front of the bed seem like they will be amazing to wake up to each morning. I'll look for your friend request. We're going in January so maybe I can return the favor and answer any questions you might have after we get back. Thanks again!

17004 was without a doubt the best cabin ever.

You can find pics in my flickr account.

I came across your pics before I booked 17004 :) I think from what I have seen in video's & pics one difference in 17030 & 17004 is that in 17030 the mirrored area with seat for putting make-up on, air dryer etc. was located in the large walk in closet where from either a video or a pic I saw it looks like this area is in actual bathroom? Also in 17030 the toilet area has just a curtain, not sure if 17004 has an actual door or not.

Edited by dlynn0366

Dlynn 0366......thank you, thank you, thank you! This is the kind of info I needed. We would rather not be "on display" while out on the balcony. And I like island music , just not each and every day, all day. :rolleyes: I think we will definitely stick with 17004. We have looked at all the pix on another 'cruise deck' website, but, pictures online can be very deceiving and 'objects in mirror are closer than they appear' apparently ;). At times we love to sit on the balcony and just watch the ocean go by and it sounds as if it would be more like watching the people go by instead in 17030. It's only the two of us this trip so no worries there. We've had the two bedroom villa in the past and liked it well enough. The only complaint I had with it is I'm not wild about the bedroom being so tucked back in the alcove where you can't really see out when you first wake up (that, and the fact that we were directly below the free weights in the gym. Learned a very valuable lesson there. Always check what's above and below you when booking!). The view might be the thing I'm looking forward to the most with the Epic DOS. The wrap around windows in front of the bed seem like they will be amazing to wake up to each morning. I'll look for your friend request. We're going in January so maybe I can return the favor and answer any questions you might have after we get back. Thanks again!

There were times on the balcony I felt like I was the Queen :p people waving up...me waving back.

• 6 months later...
17004 was without a doubt the best cabin ever.

You can find pics in my flickr account.

Thanks for your photos :)

Silly question - is the bed a full size bed? It looks short. Or is that just a trick of the eye? Would hate to have my feet hanging over the end! LOL

I can answer that! I am height-challenged (5'1") but my DH is 6'. We both feel it was equivalent to our king bed at home. DH says his feet didn't hang off at all.

I agree! We too thought it equalled our king.

Just thinking of the stateroom gives me happy thoughts. :)

We were in 17004 last week. Loved the view from the bedroom. I am 6' 1" and had no issues with the size of the bed. A very nice suite but the living room chairs are a bit unusual and uncomfortable. Everything else is first class.....

Ray

• 4 years later...

I just found this video of 17004 in case people can't find the above mentioned link.

It looks like the biggest differences between 17030 and 17004 are the balcony and views.  in 17030 the balcony is huge and has a big round double lounge bed as well as several other sets of patio furniture.  However, you give up privacy as this end of the 17th floor faces into the main public pool deck. You are visible to them as is everyone else on the pool deck to you.

17004 faces forward with unobstructed views of what your'e sailing toward and no one staring up at you from the pool.  However, the balcony is rather small for such a large suite.  I can't say for sure, but it looks barely larger than an average balcony (though it does show two chairs and a small table as well as two lounge beds, so maybe a bit bigger. ).  We stayed on an older boat where this level of suite literally had the entire aft end of the floor split between two suites.  It was massive!  So this balcony is a little disappointing in comparison.  But the room itself looks great and the panoramic views from the bedroom might make up for it.  

We will be sailing out of Barcelona in September in 17004 so I hope we chose right!

1 minute ago, rfkeith10 said:

When we sailed on the Epic, all DOS cabins had only 1 bedroom.  There are 2-bedroom suites in the Haven...

We've sailed in the two-bedrooms, but were wondering if that was an option for the DOS on the Epic. If we book her next year, we'll stick with the two bedroom.

48 minutes ago, brookie848 said:

We've sailed in the two-bedrooms, but were wondering if that was an option for the DOS on the Epic. If we book her next year, we'll stick with the two bedroom.

The DOS is a very nice suite.  I don't know how many folks are traveling with you but perhaps the sofa in the living room makes out into a bed.  Hope you have a wonderful cruise...

Ray