Wearing jeans in European ports

hurwitz5

Yes, the shorts are OK for us tourists, but very few of the locals wear them.. ;)

I've never felt at all out of place on shore, or pre/post cruise, when I've worn shorts in hot weather in Europe. A while back there were times I wore long pants thinking I'd stick out if I wore shorts and suffered because of it only to see many others in shorts.

Dress for the weather. Only exception is when a church, or another venue that might have a dress code, is a major draw on a tour such as when touring the Vatican. Even then I'd double check travel boards, the Europe forums, or the website for the church itself to double check if a dress code exists.

We will be sailing on the Infiniti in September. We will spend time in London, and then cruise to France, Spain and Portugal. Is it OK to wear jeans whie sightseeing - especially if we visit churches. What is appropriate clothing for touring these countries?

You'll be right at home, (except religious buildings etc) as you will notice it would appear that they were first made in Italy

quote Wiki "

The story of jeans begins in the city of Genoa, in Italy, famous for its cotton corduroy. Jean fabric from Genoa (at that time) was in fact very similar to corduroy; Genoese sailors started to used it to cover and protect their goods on the docks from the weather.

During the Republic of Genoa, the jeans were exported by sailors of Genoa throughout Europe. Gênes, the French word for Genoa, may therefore be the origin of the word "jeans". In the French city of Nimes, weavers tried to reproduce the fabric exactly, but without success. However, with experimentation, and through trial and error, they developed another twill fabric that became known as denim, literally "de Nimes". Only at the end of the nineteenth century did jeans arrive in the United States and that famous brand with rivets appeared.

As some have said if you don't ask the question, you won't know the answer.

And in the words from a song by Waylon Jennings 'And I finally made forty: still wearing jeans' in my case nearer sixty :eek:

Enjoy your trip to Europe and dress how you feel comfortable...

Hi Ceba,

Whilst the weather should still be good in mid October, the days will be beginning to draw in and the heat goes about 3.30 ish. I always spend a week in southern Spain the last week in October, I definitely need my jeans, and some years a fleece come later afternoon/ early evening.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Deb

Thank you so much for answering my question. I appreciate your insight

and will add another sweater or two. Enjoy your week in southern Spain!

Nebr. Cruiser beat me to it but I'll add my post for emphasis. I'm not sure where in France and Spain you're headed to but if it is along the Mediterranean then you might find it much to warm to be comfortable in jeans. It has been very warm there when we've cruised this area in September in the past.

In cooler weather I've sometimes felt out of place when I wasn't wearing jeans.

I agree, jeans can be too uncomfortable during the hotter months in the Med. I lived in southern Spain until June this year and I tended to put jeans away in May and get them out again at the end of September. Lightweight Chinos would be much more comfortable.

Thanks for all the responses. We will be sailing from Harwich, England on September 18, and will be cruising to Le Havre, France and then along the western part of Europe. We will NOT be sailing in the Mediterranean, where the temperatures are usually hotter. I will check the weather reports before I leave fom the US. We will stop in Le Havre and La Rochelle, France, Bilbao and Vigo, Spain and Porto, Portugal. We hope the temperatures will be in the 60's and 70's during the day - good sightseeing weather.

Hi

We don't all dress like they do in downton Abbey! Of course jeans are ok why wouldn't they be... The year is 2013 and we are up with modern times over here in England & Europe!

I'm going to the Caribbean in December is it ok to wear shorts on the beach!! :D

:D:D Funny - love it :D:D

Make you a deal, I'll leave my white sneakers at home when I visit Europe if Europeans will leave their Speedos at home when they come here. :rolleyes:

We could have a three way deal here, I won't wear a knotted hanky on my head and socks with my sandals whilst wearing shorts....:o

In regards to the question posed by the OP, my rule of thumb is generally that if at least 40% of visitors to a religious building or monument are tourists and not there to worship, then jeans or other more casual clothing are acceptable.

I've mostly come to this rule as a way to cope with religious guilt. I was raised in the catholic church and remember having to put on my fanciest clothes each and every Sunday or I would not be leaving the house until I did (not leaving the house on Sundays was never an option unfortunately). I actually had whole outfits which were only ever worn to churches, funerals, and Remembrance/ANZAC Day ceremonies. The church teachings never really sunk in, but showing that level of respect to religions and religious spaces did. So much so, that when I started travelling (mostly hitchhiking and backpacking) I felt really out of place visiting local churches, so rule to justify my attire.

So you say I'm going to have to buy some jeans for Europe next summer? I have few - don't go to country/western night clubs all that often here in the U.S.

Lol

Probably not!

The European jeans are an amazing variety of allsorts of colours, styles and types of cotton twill fabrics. As I am sure are those available in the US and Canada. Its about opening your mind to what is a pair of 'jeans';)

As a previous poster said, jeans can cost any amount from £12 at Asda to £1000 in a designer shop. They are a cult, way of life, many these days are stretchy and lightweight compared to work jeans of old.

It makes a mockery of the rule 'no jeans in the dining room' as many jeans are significantly smarter and better fitting than a pair of baggy legged slacks. Especially for men when teamed up with a jacket.

For ladies I add a scarf to everything, big colourfull and crinkly (can crunch it up and put it in your bag) or smooth sophisticated designer. Worn pashmina style, as a cloak or a soft silk one around for your neck, tied or loose. Hey presto your skinny black designer (wallmart) jeans or jeggings and plain t shirt are smart or casual. Scarfs also allow you to cover those bare shoulders if you feel the need.

I will just say at this point, I try my best but being 5 foot nothing and not skinny limits my ability to look sophisticated in most things.

Anyway the point is you can get smart jeans, smart shorts (linen etc) and sleeveless t shirts and string tops. Take a scarf/pasmina style and if you go into a church or it gets a bit cool, your sorted!

Anything goes in Europe and the UK thank goodness! :cool:

Yvonne

Lol

Probably not!

The European jeans are an amazing variety of allsorts of colours, styles and types of cotton twill fabrics. As I am sure are those available in the US and Canada. Its about opening your mind to what is a pair of 'jeans';)

As a previous poster said, jeans can cost any amount from £12 at Asda to £1000 in a designer shop. They are a cult, way of life, many these days are stretchy and lightweight compared to work jeans of old.

It makes a mockery of the rule 'no jeans in the dining room' as many jeans are significantly smarter and better fitting than a pair of baggy legged slacks. Especially for men when teamed up with a jacket.

For ladies I add a scarf to everything, big colourfull and crinkly (can crunch it up and put it in your bag) or smooth sophisticated designer. Worn pashmina style, as a cloak or a soft silk one around for your neck, tied or loose. Hey presto your skinny black designer (wallmart) jeans or jeggings and plain t shirt are smart or casual. Scarfs also allow you to cover those bare shoulders if you feel the need.

I will just say at this point, I try my best but being 5 foot nothing and not skinny limits my ability to look sophisticated in most things.

Anyway the point is you can get smart jeans, smart shorts (linen etc) and sleeveless t shirts and string tops. Take a scarf/pasmina style and if you go into a church or it gets a bit cool, your sorted!

Anything goes in Europe and the UK thank goodness! :cool:

Yvonne

Go to Costco, buy their Kirkland jeans, wear a shirt covering the label and no one will know the difference. Cost you about 12 dollars.

Archived