Wearing jeans in European ports

hurwitz5

We will be sailing on the Infiniti in September. We will spend time in London, and then cruise to France, Spain and Portugal. Is it OK to wear jeans whie sightseeing - especially if we visit churches. What is appropriate clothing for touring these countries?

I've worn jeans (and sneakers) in many of the places you're mentioning. The thing you need to be sure is that your shoulders and knees are covered, if you want to go into any of the churches.

People can tell we are tourists regardless. :)

I just returned from visiting London and Paris 4 days ago. Jeans are pretty much the standard.

I read a statement for London which said the dress code is "wear clothes" and that is the truth. I saw the most varied clothing styles in London. If it's in your closet, grandma's closet or at the good will someone will be wearing it in London.

Hi

We don't all dress like they do in downton Abbey! Of course jeans are ok why wouldn't they be... The year is 2013 and we are up with modern times over here in England & Europe!

I'm going to the Caribbean in December is it ok to wear shorts on the beach!! :D

If you wear jeans in Europe you will be among the majority (especially in the cities). Actually, when it comes to jeans Europe holds my personal record of the most expensive jeans I have seen. About 5 years ago we were window shopping on Capri and a boutique had a pair of torn jeans in their window which was on Sale for only 600 Euros!

Hank

I will just add. As a student of art in the 1970s, we all trolled around London and every church in the UK in shorties of all sorts or whatever, no dress code unless you are going into a muslim place of worship, a temple or other orthodox religious place.

My goodness the general dress code in summer, even if its freezing, is 'very little' lol. Trust me tourists stand out because they wear MORE clothes ;)

No you do not need a black lace scarf to enter a Roman Catholic Cathedral or church!

hi

we don't all dress like they do in downton abbey! Of course jeans are ok why wouldn't they be... The year is 2013 and we are up with modern times over here in england & europe!

I'm going to the caribbean in december is it ok to wear shorts on the beach!! :d

:) :) :)

Not sure why people seem to question wearing jean in Europe. We have even seen the odd post with people saying that jeans are not worn in Italy.

Jeans are everywhere. If you choose to wear them, you will not be out of place. But the locals will still be able to tell that you are a tourist!

I will just add. As a student of art in the 1970s, we all trolled around London and every church in the UK in shorties of all sorts or whatever, no dress code unless you are going into a muslim place of worship, a temple or other orthodox religious place.

My goodness the general dress code in summer, even if its freezing, is 'very little' lol. Trust me tourists stand out because they wear MORE clothes ;)

No you do not need a black lace scarf to enter a Roman Catholic Cathedral or church!

You may be correct about London, however, Spain, Portugal and France are more conservative. I don't think shorts would be deemed appropriate to wear when visiting Catholic churches there. Like another poster said you need to cover shoulders and knees. Jeans are worn everywhere.

I just returned from visiting London and Paris 4 days ago. Jeans are pretty much the standard.

I read a statement for London which said the dress code is "wear clothes" and that is the truth. I saw the most varied clothing styles in London. If it's in your closet, grandma's closet or at the good will someone will be wearing it in London.

Amen! And ever may it remain so, certain areas of London are well known for their eclectic and often eccentric mix of fashion style. Jeans will be perfect anywhere in Europe. Have fun.

Karen

I travel to Europe frequently and have observed that European men, especially in Britain, France and Italy, typically where jeans with a sport coat. Women are more likely to wear comfortable slacks rather than jeans. Other posters have noted that when entering a house of worship you should be sure that your shoulders and legs are covered (no shorts or sleeveless blouses or shirts). This is absolutely true. In any event, as another poster said, always wear clothes.

While I definitely agree that jeans are the norm in the areas of Europe we have been in (and there were lots of sneakers, too, though mostly on younger people), I do have one caution.

Depending on the time of year and location, jeans can be very hot. We were in Rome at the end of April and it was so hot (90+) that I about died in my jeans; and they weren't the really heavy kind.

I wouldn't wear shorts or sleeveless tops into most churches either, especially in southern Europe, but do consider wearing capris, a skirt (if a woman) or a sleeveless top with a scarf along to cover shoulders if necessary. I about had a heat stroke dressed as advised in Rome.

The next day I wore capris, a tank top, and a short sleeved blouse to wear in churches. I was much more comfortable and this was fine even for the Vatican and St. Peter's.

Nebr. Cruiser beat me to it but I'll add my post for emphasis. I'm not sure where in France and Spain you're headed to but if it is along the Mediterranean then you might find it much to warm to be comfortable in jeans. It has been very warm there when we've cruised this area in September in the past.

In cooler weather I've sometimes felt out of place when I wasn't wearing jeans.

Hi

We don't all dress like they do in downton Abbey! Of course jeans are ok why wouldn't they be... The year is 2013 and we are up with modern times over here in England & Europe!

I'm going to the Caribbean in December is it ok to wear shorts on the beach!! :D

This made me laugh out loud!

:D:D

I have been travelling to Europe since 1999 and the style of dress is changing. It used to be only the young people were wearing jeans, and if you were middle-age or older, you really stood out with jeans.

Lately, It's become more acceptable for older people to wear them especially in larger cities.

As Larry stated, jeans can be warm and they do take longer to dry if you hand-wash them and then hang them in your room.

Then there is the problem that they can start to feel tighter at the end of the cruise:D

I always take pants with an expandable waist to fix that problem.

Dave

Nebr. Cruiser beat me to it but I'll add my post for emphasis. I'm not sure where in France and Spain you're headed to but if it is along the Mediterranean then you might find it much to warm to be comfortable in jeans. It has been very warm there when we've cruised this area in September in the past.

In cooler weather I've sometimes felt out of place when I wasn't wearing jeans.

Europe has been having a really warm summer, with some temperatures reaching 100 farenheit. It would be a good idea to check the extended forecast before you go.

Europe has been having a really warm summer, with some temperatures reaching 100 farenheit. It would be a good idea to check the extended forecast before you go.

:D

Get your smart shorts packed, everyone will be wearing them if it stays warm. ;)

However in europe:

Its all leggings, jeggings, narrows and skinny's worn with tunics, long tops and dressy with a scarf or pashmina for the ladies.

Skinny, dropped, chino, slim fit and anything for chaps with light coat or hoodie.

I have actually purchased 3 pairs of those calf high trouser things that all you US ladies like to wear because on our last cruise everyone had them on, apart from us brits and other nationalities (all in our leggings, jeggings and slim fit jeans etc). Thought I might try a more structured attire for our next cruise, although I have blown it a bit by buying a pair of bright red ballet pumps :)

Hi Ceba,

Whilst the weather should still be good in mid October, the days will be beginning to draw in and the heat goes about 3.30 ish. I always spend a week in southern Spain the last week in October, I definitely need my jeans, and some years a fleece come later afternoon/ early evening.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Deb

Hi

Yes, the shorts are OK for us tourists, but very few of the locals wear them.. ;)

Archived