New Camera

Woobstr112G

Awhile back, I posted that I was debating on upgrading my Canon Rebel t2i. Well yesterday, I decided on the new 70D so I ordered it from BH who now has them in stock. I was thinking of getting a new lens; one that I could use as an everyday walk around lens. I was thinking of one that would do regular shots along with some distance thrown in. I was looking at the Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 EF-S IS STM Lens. I know there are better lenses out there but I didn't want to spend $$$$$. Thoughts on this lens?

Thanks in advance for any replies.....:):):)

Bob

This year I bought the T4i with that lens. I am totally satisfied with it. It focuses quickly and has good reach for my everyday needs. If I need something longer, I put on my Tamron SP AF70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC. Not sure what is out there in the same price range that would be as good or better. Maybe someone will come along and give you more options.

Here are a few recent pics. Keep in mind, I am only an "aspiring amateur". I still have a lot to learn. All with PP, because that's what I do;).

9591806502_40cd43e66b_c.jpg

IMG_1130-HDR by sharod1031, on Flickr

9591290896_bc66f58593_c.jpg

IMG_1062-HDR by sharod1031, on Flickr

9645753728_712295b6e5_c.jpg

IMG_1286-001 by sharod1031, on Flickr

9645752752_a26e570f34_c.jpg

IMG_1254-001 by sharod1031, on Flickr

9651982555_8cf141b79e_c.jpg

IMG_1240 by sharod1031, on Flickr

I had the 50 D with the 18-200 is, it was a great walk around lense. You do have to get used to flipping the lock to prevent lens creep. I have since switched to a 7D and am now using L lenses. I would say the results are noticeable with the L lenses but the 18-200 was a fun lens that provided nice shots.

I don't have any experience with the lens you question, but wanted to give props to the lens I bought earlier this year for use with my Nikon. I got an 18 - 250 mm lens and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! Before ordering it, I was worried about the additional size and weight of it. However, it turned out to be not an issue as I love the lens so much. I especially love not having to back and forth between my 18 - 55 and 55 - 200 lenses to get the pic I wanted. I haven't taken the lens off my camera since I got it.

I am a professional photographer and very picky about my lenses. They are more important than the camera body in many cases.

When I travel, I want to carry as little as possible but not sacrifice image quality. The wider ranges of zoom have generally less crispness on the image. If you want very sharp photographs, get the prime lenses. Generally 24 35 50 85 are all Prime lenses in Canon and come in a consumer grade.

Canon makes a 50 1.8 that is less than $100. It's plastic and light and has very good quality for the price.

Sigma makes a 17-50 well regarded

I travel with a Tamron 28-300 3.5 vr for my snapshots. I used and sold my 18-200 because it was not as sharp as I liked (Tamron).

Also - if you use a tripod, you can get away with a broader zoom range lens.

Archived