Bathrobes

pawsplus

Good grief. What a conversation.

I'm bringing a light cover-up to wear during the day to and from the pool.

If I go to the thermal suites or the hot tub in the evening, or if it's cold down in Ushuaia in Nov I may take my HAL robe, and wear it to and from my cabin.

I have a terry robe that I wear at my local health club in the winter going to and from the pool/hot tub to the locker room. The pools are outside and it's in the 40's here in the daytime, or rainy. My robe keeps me warm, and helps me dry off. I've even worn it home in the car a couple of times when I couldn't warm up and just wanted to get home.

I don't think it's tacky. The pool, spa, exercise area isn't somewhere people go to be dressed up to compete with each other, it's about getting some exercise, sun, relax in the hot tub or get a massage.

I wouldn't wear a robe or a swimsuit/coverup into any public area except the pool or hallways. The only place I'd eat dressed like that would be a poolside snackbar.

If someone else wants to wander around the ship in their robe, I might smile with amusement, but I'd probably be relieved in many cases that they had it on! As a nurse, I've seen enough nudity in my career to appreciate a good robe.

Cute cover up, Betty.I've bought some nice ones on the beach in St. Thomas at Magen's Bay. I just got a compliment on it yesterday at the pool.There are lots of small stores on most of the Caribbean beaches and they have tons of cover ups..

People who care about how they look can also be people of substance. The two qualities are not mutually exclusive.

How people present themselves does say something about them, and what they think of others.

LOVE IT!!! Couldn't agree more

I've learned in life not to sweat the small stuff.

This is about as small as it gets.

The average HAL customer is 30-40 pounds overweight. Should I conclude they don't care about their appearance? Or that by wearing an "elegant" dress, they are transformed into something classy? Some of them wear bikinis by the pool. Should I let their appearance ruin my appetite? Of course not.

I raised a handicapped daughter who used a wheelchair. One of the teachers told me that she shouldn't be in the regular classrooms because the other students would have to look at her. When I read about you people who have your evening ruined by someone in a bathrobe, it reminds me of that teacher.

Get over it. I have some advice for you--- you'll enjoy your cruise a lot more if you stop worrying about what other people wear.

The average HAL customer is 30-40 pounds overweight. Should I conclude they don't care about their appearance? Or that by wearing an "elegant" dress, they are transformed into something classy? Some of them wear bikinis by the pool. Should I let their appearance ruin my appetite? Of course not.

I raised a handicapped daughter who used a wheelchair. One of the teachers told me that she shouldn't be in the regular classrooms because the other students would have to look at her. When I read about you people who have your evening ruined by someone in a bathrobe, it reminds me of that teacher.

Get over it. I have some advice for you--- you'll enjoy your cruise a lot more if you stop worrying about what other people wear.

:rolleyes: Noticed this is your FIRST post on CC.

LuLu

~~~

Welcome to cruise critic - nice to have you on board.

Perhaps you have been on some of the wrong ships - I will agree that some passengers could lose some weight but there are many who are looking pretty good IMO:D

As to the comments on dress - I think RuthC said it best.

btw - the comments by the teacher were totally inappropriate - hopefully that was a number of years ago - back in the dark ages.

When I occasionally see someone at the pool wearing a bathrobe I never really give it a moments thought. And that is the issue. I don't even care enough to turn and mention it to DW is she happens to be there. And DW is the same.

To me, it is just another person at the pool. I am not sitting there thinking about what does this person think about themselves, or about others on the cruise. I am too busy reading my book or just watching the world go by. It is not about judging either. We may notice but it just does not even register on any scale to either of us.

Why on earth would it?

Reading this thread it seems to me that what people are saying is, to go from cabin to pool or spa, this is acceptable

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWuzPPdM2-C1iXy5Xiq27J4GmDy3dKjBEvzbzz409diIoBn_HG-pqqc2Px

But this is not :confused:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnP7bDchxRKb2eDxmSFq0-1Has1bSWMO2C2bMqGaZ30CQfGhDg

I know which I think is more suitable. However, as a man, I know which I would prefer to see :o :D

Seriously, I think this is a cultural issue. In Europe I don’t think anyone would have a problem with someone going to the pool or spa in their bathrobe. Obviously, it is seen as something unacceptable in other areas of the world.

The problem is what happens when a European is on a cruise in Europe and wears their bathrobe? Will the US passengers still object or will they accept that things are different over here?

<snip>

Seriously, I think this is a cultural issue. In Europe I don’t think anyone would have a problem with someone going to the pool or spa in their bathrobe. Obviously, it is seen as something unacceptable in other areas of the world.

The problem is what happens when a European is on a cruise in Europe and wears their bathrobe? Will the US passengers still object or will they accept that things are different over here?

I agree it is far more common in Europe to see hotel guests wearing provided terry robes to hotel pools and beaches that abut the property. The first we saw it was when we were at a lovely resort in Marbella, Spain. It is a deluxe resort in a very upscale area and many of the European guests wore the robes out of their rooms. We didn't care either way but it was the first we had seen that though we had been to dozens of other resorts around U.S. and Caribbean.

I'd much prefer to see people in robes rather than the state of undress some young people seem to adopt in the med. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw what some girls were wearing at the airport to fly home this summer. A few years ago I don't think they would have been allowed on the flight.

Thank God my young relatives don't walk around like that. I would be so ashamed.

Can you imagine the horror if someone wore a robe over jeans? Several CC posters might have immediate strokes, wondering why poor people are allowed the same ship.

It could be me, but I strongly suspect this poster is being humerous. I get it :). Others don't.

HAL's dress code does not ban jeans on any but formal nights.

So, where is the problem? :confused:

You'd have to ask them. I don't give one care what anyone wears anywhere. Someone can wear a robe to the MDR and my evening won't be worse the wear.

I was simply making light of the great offense sone find to the clothing others wear.

It could be me, but I strongly suspect this poster is being humerous. I get it :). Others don't.

;) Someone gets it! (I should add I see nothing at all wrong with a robe to/from the pool.) I'm a young whipper-snapper though Andy frame of reference differs from the older generation, for better or worse.

I'm not a young whippersnapper, (63) and I also don't object to robes to and from the pool. When I'm done swimming I want to leave and go get dressed. I hate getting dressed in public. Coverups are fine if you want to have big ole wet spots on your bum walking back to your room. I like the robe it covers up all my lumps and bumps.

I'm not a young whippersnapper, (63) and I also don't object to robes to and from the pool. When I'm done swimming I want to leave and go get dressed. I hate getting dressed in public. Coverups are fine if you want to have big ole wet spots on your bum walking back to your room. I like the robe it covers up all my lumps and bumps.

Me too! In fact, I think they look far more "glamorous" than some of the coverups out there!

Me too! In fact, I think they look far more "glamorous" than some of the coverups out there!

And modest too. And do remember, the context OP asked about is commuting to the pool. Not formal nights, not the Lido, not the Neptune or any of the other hyperbole put forward.

And just a thought- being HAL specifically requests a coverup for swimwear, and it has been reported that robes have been provided in some of the cabanas, do you think that could be one way of nicely getting cooperation with that?

Archived