Oops! Forgot to update ins after final pay

Deb0702

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I booked our cruise waay back in July 2012 and purchased a policy through Travel Guard covering the amount of the initial deposit. A year later I made the final payment and completely forgot about updating the insurance. It never crossed my mind until I went to print our travel documents. We're leaving in 2 days. Big Oops!

So my question is, do you think our policy is still valid if only for the amount of the initial deposit? Or is the whole thing null and void?

We are going on this cruise one way or the other, so losing coverage on the trip cost doesn't rattle me too much. But, I'm really wondering about the medical expense and emergency evacuation portion of our policy.

Are we covered if something truely awful happened? Any thoughts?

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I booked our cruise waay back in July 2012 and purchased a policy through Travel Guard covering the amount of the initial deposit. A year later I made the final payment and completely forgot about updating the insurance. It never crossed my mind until I went to print our travel documents. We're leaving in 2 days. Big Oops!

So my question is, do you think our policy is still valid if only for the amount of the initial deposit? Or is the whole thing null and void?

We are going on this cruise one way or the other, so losing coverage on the trip cost doesn't rattle me too much. But, I'm really wondering about the medical expense and emergency evacuation portion of our policy.

Your situation is different.

I've always insured the full value of the cruise within the 10-14 day window from the initial deposit (for pre-exisiting condition waiver), and then sometimes added value for non-refundable airfare and hotels later. I've never just insured the value of the initial deposit.

I seem to recall there are some requirements about insuring the full value of your cruise (and other non-refundable costs) in order for certain provisions to kick in (such as trip cancellation). Although, even with just insuring the initial deposit, I think the medical portions of the policy would still be valid, along with other things like lost/delayed baggage and missed connections.

I'd definitely give Travel Guard a call right away, before you leave! They might let you add the additional value even at this late date, assuming nothing has already happened which might be a reason for cancellation (hope not!).

Your policy is till valid, but you may have missed the deadlines to retain your pre-ex exclusion and other benefits that rely on complete prompt coverage.

And, of course, until you update your policy, the amounts you haven't paid for aren't covered.

You can add in the full amount for the insurance.

The only thing I am not sure is it's impact on any pre-existing conditions. Just check with them.

Keith

Archived