best restaurant in Grand Caymen?

58Piano

Eric Rippert's BLUE! but may not be open for lunch and will certainly cost you more than snorkeling or rays excrusions.:p

But if you don't mind vegan or vegtarian cuisine, Bread and Chocolate on Dr Roy's Drive in Georgetown would be a great choice.

Lots of people like Sunshine Grill up on 7 Mile Beach.

Tukka's on the East end has great sea views from the patio, excellent cocktails and a bit of Australian flavor.

For local Cayman eats, head for the Heritage Kitchen out in West Bay or Kurts Corner in Old Bay, behind a liqour store. Neither of these spots are fancy( wooden tables, et.al. but both have excellent local fresh seafood and shorts and flops are probably on the "dressy" side of the attire. You're definantly not in margaritaville any more.:D

On our first cruise to Georgetown we enjoyed the Paradise bar & Grill right by the water, very casual and open-air.

Rackam's Waterfront and of course Margaritaville are 2 other popular places right in town.

Our favorite Italian restaurant when staying on GCM is Casanova's, a short walk north.

Our favorite fun bar/restaurant is Coconut Joe's a short taxi or bus north across the street from the Comfort Inn and the Marriott.

And just a 5 minute walk further north will put you at the Reef Grill at Royal Palms. This is beachfront on SMB and they have excellent burgers and cold beers. They have chair/jetski/pool/tent rentals as well.

There are fine restaurants along SMB, and you also have Guy Harvey's place right in town.

Cruise stop? Then we're just talking lunch

BEST is subjective, but these are places I tell my friends to consider

Guy Harvey's is in the main downtown area with a nice view

http://www.guyharveysgrill.com/lunch.php

My Bar at Sunset House

http://sunsethouse.com/bar.php

mybarpic.jpg

http://sunsethouse.com/images/Menus/Restaurant%20Lunch%20menu%20Single%20page%20Main%20%202011.pdf

http://sunsethouse.com/images/Menus/Restaurant%20Snack%20Menu%20Nov%20%2010%208_5X11%202011.pdf

sunsethouse_zps9083c174.jpg

My Bar is a good spot too.

If not interested in water activities and you have enough time in port I would rent a small car and drive to Rum Point. 45 min liesurely drive on good roads, left hand lane but easy to drive. The Wreck Bar & Grill has an excellent grouper BLT and the beach there is gorgeous. Many return day visitors do this to get away from SMB and the more developed part of the island.

Just another option, but My bar is a great spot as well, and you can slso hit Smith Cove, a tiny but beautiful beach on the way.

actually Smith's Cove is a lil past The Grand Old House, which is a bit past (south of) Sunset House (Sunset .75 miles south of Town, Smith's Cove 1.4 miles or so) .... or did you mean on the way to Rum Point vs on the way to Sunset as I read your post? Then sorry for questioning . . .

But that brings us to another rest' !!! Grand Old House, one time haunt of one of the earliest TV Chefs, Chef Tell

http://www.grandoldhouse.com/index.php

http://www.grandoldhouse.com/lunch-menu.php

Smith's Cove

159.+looking+to+South+view.JPG

2013-01-02

photos linked from Google Earth

Can you suggest a restaurant in Grand Caymen. Going there on a cruise in a few weeks. Not sure what to do there. Not into snorkling or swimming with sting rays.

We rented a car out first time there. Nice way to see the island. Recommend hitting Kaibo Beach Bar near Rum Point if you do. Their fish curry is AMAZING. Vivienne's Kitchen, Chester's, Tukka, Sunshine Grill, Rankin's, TimBucTuu, Heritage Kitchen are all good as well. Check out http://www.caymangoodtaste.com for other suggestions.

actually Smith's Cove is a lil past The Grand Old House, which is a bit past (south of) Sunset House (Sunset .75 miles south of Town, Smith's Cove 1.4 miles or so) .... or did you mean on the way to Rum Point vs on the way to Sunset as I read your post? Then sorry for questioning . .

No I was reversed, you are correct, thanks.

Cathy Church's photography shop and studio is also located at the Sunset House if interested in photography, great shop.

CDN there are many great spots with unique dishes and we enjoyed only about 1/3 of the restaurants we wanted to during our last 12 day stay. One reason is we loved the lobster ravioli at Casanova's, the fish tacos and burger at Sunshine, and the fun happy hours at Coconut Joe's. So we have at least 2 more visits to GCM if my math is right! :p

For a cruise stop, if the Kaibo/Rum Point excursion seems too much I think a little walk around town away from the main street and then a relaxing lunch at My Bar would be an enjoyable way to experience GCM. But we also loved our day on the water with Fat Fish Adventures 58Piano, and would highly recommend that if you wanted to experience the stingrays and a stop at either Rum Point or Kaibo if time permits. We hit both but we took the 1 or 2PM tour which is longer for the same price. Something to consider if you get hooked Nd return for a longer visit.

We were hungry so we checked out the Margaritaville Cafe. A raspberry margarita and a basket of fries set us back $18 including tip. Won’t do that again. The menu prices were displayed in Cayman dollars which are worth 20% more than US dollars, and we didn’t realize it until the adjusted bill with itemized tip arrived.

M'ville did nothing out of the ordinary for Cayman

on line menu clearly states prices are in CI and 15% is automatic and IME the printed menu there does too ... and both of these practices (prices are CI and tip is automatic 15%) are pretty common in Cayman. (Imagine, they print prices in their own currency . . . .)

the conversion rate to US has been in effect (fixed to US) for MANY years .... $1US = 82 cents Cayman, but merchants use 80 cents. When I changed a US $100 to Cayman @ Sunset this March, I got $80

"she may look 20, but she's 16 CI"

sorry you feel burned but this is not new news, I first experienced this in 1984 . . . if you are looking for cheap eats and drinks on Cayman you are better off staying on the boat!

Simple conversion is to figure your meal with a 40% tip in US$ . . .

Just mentally add $20% when looking at any prices if they are in $CI. But yes you aren't alone, many folks with no research are shocked to learn that. Not the destination for the budget-minded, but generally we didn't find prices to be as outrageous during our first stay as others complained about. We knew before going there that beer and wine is expensive, but you can also find decent prices dining out if you look.

We've been to most every Margaritaville and that one is not one we'd go to again. But there are too many better choices too.

Just mentally add $20% when looking at any prices if they are in $CI. .

True and so glad you posted this!

Almost always the prices are in $CI.

Grand Cayman is a lovely place to visit but does come as a shock to the "budget minded".

Not saying Paradise beside Eden Rock is the best place of all to eat BUT their "World's Worst Fish Sandwich" is fantastic. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Coconut Joe's!!!

Across from the Marriott and a short bus or taxi ride from the dock.

Tables are outside under a huge shaded tree. Fantastic fish tacos!!

We are going again in November, can't wait!!

Yes you can't easily recreate that setting

Paradise by Eden Rock would be our choice with limited time - open air tables by the water and good food, great spot to relax even if it's busy. And if you get too comfortable you can wave Bon voyage to your fellow passengers as they cruise off ;)

Paradise by Eden Rock would be our choice with limited time - open air tables by the water and good food, great spot to relax even if it's busy. And if you get too comfortable you can wave Bon voyage to your fellow passengers as they cruise off ;)

good choice

or Guy Harvey's is pretty much across the street. Here you are on the second floor and can eat inside out of the heat or on the balcony for the view.

You can google either and get the menu

Archived