GoPro

MarTex

I have had my GoPro for a little over a week. The "Understanding Your New GoPro" is very helpful. Plan on using it on our cruise in March and wanted to do some time-lapse shots. It looks like the best setting may be 4K 15 Wide or 4K 12 CIN. When shooting time-lapse departing or coming into port, what do you set the delay (.5, 1, 2, etc)? Some of your videos with time-lapse have looked so smooth, not herky-jerky like others I have seen.

Suggested settings for snorkeling would be helpful as well. I don't want to get back and have a "Dang" moment because I used the wrong settings.

This thread is great!

Thanks.

I think you may be mixing apples and oranges a little, but I could be wrong. The settings using 4K are video settings, and the intervals you mention would be if you were taking pictures in time lapse mode

I've been shooting all my latest time lapse projects at 720/60 or 1080/30 - I just can't see a noticeable difference between 1080 and 4k, and my cards are limited to 32GB, so 720 gives me almost 4 hours, 1080 is 2.5 hours or so. Then I have the flexibility to speed it up as fast as I want in post-production.

There is nothing wrong with individual pictures either, I get 4000+ images on 32GB, so at 1 pic/sec = little over 1 hour of recording, every 2 seconds is a little over 2 hours. My opinion is over 2 seconds between pics and you get the jerky movements - much more noticeable with people and vehicles moving about, not so much with clouds.

Note that the battery will not last that long, I rarely get over an 1:15 on the internal battery alone so I got a usb back up battery and hacked a housing so it can be mounted and plugged in at the same time for longer projects (but not water/weatherproof).

Snorkeling I have no idea, mine hasn't been wet yet! Testing the housing this weekend in the pool just to be sure (empty of course) - tied to the end of the brush pole and left at the bottom for an hour or so.

I know I won't be going deep enough to use filters, so I'm sticking with 1080/60 Wide so I can slow things down smoothly in post if I want, but that's all I know for now.

The new ones must suffer with all that resolution. My HD Hero can last 4+ hours doing a 1 second interval timelapse, and will do over 2 hours video at 1080/30.

The lower resolution helps too, because I can do a 12 hour drive on one SD card. I use a skeleton housing and plug the camera into the car for power when doing those. I know it's not quite as good as the newer cameras, but I can't find a justifiable reason to replace it.

The new ones must suffer with all that resolution. My HD Hero can last 4+ hours doing a 1 second interval timelapse, and will do over 2 hours video at 1080/30.

The lower resolution helps too, because I can do a 12 hour drive on one SD card. I use a skeleton housing and plug the camera into the car for power when doing those. I know it's not quite as good as the newer cameras, but I can't find a justifiable reason to replace it.

They suffer big time - at least the 3's like mine, the 3+ newest ones are supposed to be a little better. GoPro fully acknowledges it, just a function of tinier batteries for tinier cameras.

Battery management is key - I have done 4-6 hour hikes (with the video bakpak), just turning it on when I want a shot, then back off again and it lasted the whole hike. I plan on starting a dive with a full battery and no bakpak and doing the same - If I get an hour of footage total I'll be happy.

Edited by shootr

I am really enjoying this thread. Thanks everyone for all the useful information. It seems I learn something new every time I visit. Can't wait to see how everyone does with their cruises.

I've been playing around a bit with the H3+ but haven't really been able to take it outside for a "test drive". Looks like good weather this weekend and hope to get it out on the golf course. What an awesome little camera.

Edited by Tommy3putts

1] Pull the videos from the memory card to your computer hard drive

2] Open the editor program and add the video files to the left column

3] This is when you can look at them and decide what you want to actually edit - if you want to edit all of them, select all of them and then click the blue box just right of center at the bottom to "add selected to conversion list" and they will appear in the right column

4] Click the bottom blue box to convert them (this will take a few minutes to a couple hours depending on size of videos, power of the computer, etc)

5] When the program completes the conversion - "Step 2 Edit" box at top center turns blue - click it to start editing

6] Drag clips to the timeline at the bottom middle in the order that you want

7] You'll have to play with the settings to learn them - adding titles, music, speed up/slow down, etc.

8] Click "Step 3 Export" and choose what format you want the finished movie to be in. Click "Export" and the program will compile the movie

9] When it finishes you should have a viewable, shareable movie.

Otherwise, check youtube for tutorials, look for gopro forums, etc.

Great Thread, was considering purchasing a Gopro, have one question has anyone had experience with it in 10, 20, 30 degree weather?

We live in South Florida so we never see those temps here, and hope we never do. I could see the case and or lens fogging up if you were to bring the camera from warm air to cold air though. I bought the anti-fog inserts for mine when I use it underwater just in case, you may want to do the same going from warm air to cold air.

Great Thread, was considering purchasing a Gopro, have one question has anyone had experience with it in 10, 20, 30 degree weather?

We live in South Florida so we never see those temps here, and hope we never do. I could see the case and or lens fogging up if you were to bring the camera from warm air to cold air though. I bought the anti-fog inserts for mine when I use it underwater just in case, you may want to do the same going from warm air to cold air.

Arizona here, not much chance to experience those temps. This will be my first time trying the anti-fog inserts week after next also. Also trying Rain-X on the housing lens to try and keep waterdrops to a minimum in the beach/snorkel/surf shots.

I had no idea about the GoPro software. I used Photoshop to batch resize (1920 x 1080) all of my time lapse stills and then used Quicktime7 Pro to create the video. Is the GoPro software easier to use? I'm going to download it and give it a try.

Much easier IMO - you pull the photos into it en mass and the software lets you adjust speed, color correction, etc., then export.

Arizona here, not much chance to experience those temps. This will be my first time trying the anti-fog inserts week after next also. Also trying Rain-X on the housing lens to try and keep waterdrops to a minimum in the beach/snorkel/surf shots.

Great idea with the Rain-X. Hopefully I'll get to the beach tomorrow and I'll give it a try. I'll take an extra underwater housing with me and do a comparison.

Made a new batch of paracord leashes for the wrist mount and magnet mount.

Discovered that I can have my camera on the Peak mount on my shoulder bag strap in the hacked housing, and with a power cord plugged in and running to the extra battery in the pack - it gives enough resistance to smooth out the picture a lot - and it will last 4+ hours if I really want it to.

Packed it all up and I'm not going to touch it until Galveston next Sunday ('cept to top off the batteries).

Man I can't wait to get this thing wet (waterslides first probably!)

Made a new batch of paracord leashes for the wrist mount and magnet mount.

Discovered that I can have my camera on the Peak mount on my shoulder bag strap in the hacked housing, and with a power cord plugged in and running to the extra battery in the pack - it gives enough resistance to smooth out the picture a lot - and it will last 4+ hours if I really want it to.

Packed it all up and I'm not going to touch it until Galveston next Sunday ('cept to top off the batteries).

Man I can't wait to get this thing wet (waterslides first probably!)

Thanks for the update. Will probably get the peak mount, but waiting to see how yours works on your cruise. Interested to see your set up.

Played around with my 3+ this weekend. Love the camera! Battery life not so much. Like the free software as well. Now I have storage issues for the large files. May have to get a new computer. :D

Thanks for the update. Will probably get the peak mount, but waiting to see how yours works on your cruise. Interested to see your set up.

Played around with my 3+ this weekend. Love the camera! Battery life not so much. Like the free software as well. Now I have storage issues for the large files. May have to get a new computer. :D

Instead of purchasing a new computer, why not buy yourself an external hard drive to load your files to.

Nothing like the last minute, but I leave on Sunday for FLL and am departing for Cozumel and Key West on the Constellation on Monday. I have the center aft Aqua cabin, and plan on doing SeaTrek in Cozumel, and snorkeling in Key West. Which camera, and accessories, would you all recommend?

All of your cool videos have inspired me!

Nothing like the last minute, but I leave on Sunday for FLL and am departing for Cozumel and Key West on the Constellation on Monday. I have the center aft Aqua cabin, and plan on doing SeaTrek in Cozumel, and snorkeling in Key West. Which camera, and accessories, would you all recommend?

I personally went with the Hero3+ Black Edition only to take advantage of the 4K resolutions. You could save yourself a hundred bucks and go with the Hero3+ Silver. You will be able to shoot up to 1080p resolution which is plenty for todays high definition tv's. These cameras are a-la-cart so you will need to purchase sd memory cards (Sandisk extreme 32 or 64 gig). You also may want to invest in either a battery backpack or extra batteries as they don't last that long.

Shootr has been experimenting with different mounts so I would refer you to him for the different mounts you might want to purchase.

I personally went with the Hero3+ Black Edition only to take advantage of the 4K resolutions. You could save yourself a hundred bucks and go with the Hero3+ Silver. You will be able to shoot up to 1080p resolution which is plenty for todays high definition tv's. These cameras are a-la-cart so you will need to purchase sd memory cards (Sandisk extreme 32 or 64 gig). You also may want to invest in either a battery backpack or extra batteries as they don't last that long.

Shootr has been experimenting with different mounts so I would refer you to him for the different mounts you might want to purchase.

What they said! :)

I'm thinking the clamp is the best first choice for balcony's, dividers, poles, railings, etc. - to mount it for long duration projects. To carry around, find a handle or extension pole to get selfies and just to hold it easier.

It's going to come with a waterproof case already so just what was already mentioned will get you started.

What they said! :)

I'm thinking the clamp is the best first choice for balcony's, dividers, poles, railings, etc. - to mount it for long duration projects. To carry around, find a handle or extension pole to get selfies and just to hold it easier.

It's going to come with a waterproof case already so just what was already mentioned will get you started.

Thank you all for the quick responses! Any advice for the SeaTrek helmet dive? (or walk would be a better term) With regard to batteries, are there "generic ones"? I have Amazon Prime, so can get things quickly, but if the GoPro site is better, I'll order direct, if I can get things delivered in time. (Or I could just go to BestBuy locally)

Thank you all for the quick responses! Any advice for the SeaTrek helmet dive? (or walk would be a better term) With regard to batteries, are there "generic ones"? I have Amazon Prime, so can get things quickly, but if the GoPro site is better, I'll order direct, if I can get things delivered in time. (Or I could just go to BestBuy locally)

I'm doing the same helmet dive next week, my plan is to have the camera on a handle with a wrist safety strap. I'll film a little getting suited up, then anything cool down below - stuff the divers bring over, the wife, etc. The camera takes maybe 5 seconds to turn on, so I'll leave it off most of the time unless actually ready to film - it should get through the dive just fine on the one battery.

Amazon has good enough rep, and they have pretty good pricing on memory cards too.

I have one GoPro battery and one generic - so far I can't tell a difference.

EDIT: Might look into the anti-fog strips too - better safe than sorry.

Edited by shootr

Just received my RigWheels magnetic mount. Ordered it on Thursday and it was in the mailbox today. Awesome company to deal with. I stuck it to the side of the car and drove around the neighborhood shooting some time lapse. The magnet is rubber coated so it didn't leave any marks on the car. I have no worries about sticking this thing to the side of the boat as the magnet is very strong and the lockable ball joint makes aiming the camera a breeze.

magnetic-mount-2-453x453.jpg