GoPro

MarTex

Thanks shootr. As for aplmac's purchase. Everything I've read affirms shootr.

I saw a test where it we ok'd but it takes forever to transfer image to card.

Everything I've read says class 10.

Just got back yesterday from our Carnival Valor cruise from Barbados to P.Rico and back home to Barbados.

I purchased the Hero 3+ Silver at Boolchands in Sint Maarten -at the base of the pier, there...

..and now have the iPad2 'talking' to it, via the GoPro app

which could use some refinement I reckon: longing for an update to the app!

How much easier to change camera settings via the GoPro app on the iPad! :)

What a confusing nightmare for beginners, changing cam.settings via little fiddly buttons :eek:

I paid $299 for the basic Silver package and all that entails.

Also bought the suction-cup mount, the tripod mount/s

and an SD card, this time a Class 10 (thanks for the heads-up).

Got the whole deal for $400 even. :)

No-one in St.M, P.Rico or St.Thomas seemed to have spare battery or the tether kit, dammit.

Bought another Class 10 card in P.Rico, so along with the Class 4 (ugh) card I now have substantial storage.

Guess I'll experiment with the Class 4 card when it does dashboard-cam duty...

Shot some very nice stuff, panning slowly while on the ship.

I used the box it came in, as my 'tripod' with that big square 4x4 flat base!

Just find a flat surface (railings) and held it firmly while panning.

Got amazingly stable results and absolutely fantastic image quality using 960-60 setting in daylight outdoors

switching to 960-30 for shots in the dining room at night.

Recently tried the 720 very-horizontal format. LOVE that.

Edited by Aplmac

I hear ya' on the settings - I've got different "counts" memorized now for changing them in anything less than full sun!

Is their packaging great or what? I've seen people hack that box mount into chest mounts, wrist mounts (what I did) - you name it.

After the talk of leaks from some folks, I put a little tissue paper in it, strapped mine to the pool brush pole and dunked it for an hour last weekend - swished it around for good measure (sans camera) - perfectly dry so no worries.

I really like that magnet mount- compact, no marring - that was a great find.

I am done working - just hanging in the office with the internet until 5 then I am GONE! :)

I hear ya' on the settings - I've got different "counts" memorized now for changing them in anything less than full sun!

Is their packaging great or what? I've seen people hack that box mount into chest mounts, wrist mounts (what I did) - you name it.

After the talk of leaks from some folks, I put a little tissue paper in it, strapped mine to the pool brush pole and dunked it for an hour last weekend - swished it around for good measure (sans camera) - perfectly dry so no worries.

I really like that magnet mount- compact, no marring - that was a great find.

I am done working - just hanging in the office with the internet until 5 then I am GONE! :)

Let me know how the Rain-X works out for you when you get back from your cruise. I was going to try this last weekend but the water temps in the Gulf were to cold, for me at least.

I hear ya' on the settings - I've got different "counts" memorized now

for changing them in anything less than full sun! ===> At age 64, I HAVE to wear my glasses..

Is their packaging great or what?

I've seen people hack that box mount into chest mounts, wrist mounts (what I did) - you name it.

OK so it's not just me utilizing the box it came mounted on!

I want to fill that box with something 'fluid' (not liquid!)

- like sand or ball bearings, to make it a heavy sucker!

That way it'll stay put, or remain stable when I'm moving it around!

Edited by Aplmac

Let me know how the Rain-X works out for you when you get back from your cruise. I was going to try this last weekend but the water temps in the Gulf were to cold, for me at least.

In the swimming pool it was awesome - water just sheeted off, or blew off with a quick breath.

Have a great trip. Can't wait to see the videos.

Can't wait to take them!

First off, I want to say that picture in your sig shootr is awesome! Now I want to take a shot like that on my next cruise, haha.

I am thinking of picking up a 3+ pretty soon, mostly for my cruise in Sept, but also to use when I ride my bike around Chicago. Thanks for all the tips! It's starting to overwhelm me already and I don't even own one yet. :eek:

In the swimming pool it was awesome

- water just sheeted off, or blew off with a quick breath.

I read that advice in the camera's manual...about using RainX, or licking it! :D

Today I used a little Pledge furniture polish (it's a spray wax)

I use it on my chrome bathroom faucets...it 'pearls' the water droplets off, like wow!

to keep the chrome nice and bright.

I applied a tiny bit of Pledge to the lens port, and polished it dry and transparent.

I haven't subjected the camera to any water yet

but I have no doubt it'll 'pearl' the water droplets right off...just like my bathroom faucets.

Edited by Aplmac

Like many others

I've been using the black box the camera came mounted on, as a tripod/base.

Well.. I half-filled it with sand and the whole thing, with camera in place

now weighs 3.75 lbs. Makes it a lot steadier when panning while walking etc.

Found myself forgetting to replace the little access-port cover

after either charging the cam or fiddling with tiny SD card.

So I sprayed the outer face of the cover with fluorescent orange marking paint

and a small portion of the cover's underside, where it doesn't matter.

Now the little cover stands out on my desk and I remember to replace it!

Not that it matters if you forget to replace it.

I took the port cover and the battery cover off the first time I used it and never put them back on.

Can't see the point since mine is always in a case 'cept for charging and fiddling with the card. The battery still leaves an impression in the foam on the back door so I know it is secure and won't wiggle loose.

Plus I have no fingernails to dig them out easily anyways. :)

Looking to purchase 3 or 3+. I have read about some accessories don't fit 3+ would I be better off with the 3?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most of the accessories will fit the 3+. I purchased all of my GoPro gear directly from http://www.gopro.com. They have all of the accessories and mounts listed for the different cameras.

The only thing that's different is the waterproof housing. It's thinner for 3+ so it can't go as deep as 3 (hence some of the water issues with divers). But you can buy the thicker housing if you need to go for deeper underwater shots.

No issues with any accessories so far with my 3+. Love it!

Edited by Tommy3putts

Thank you all for the quick responses! Any advice for the SeaTrek helmet dive? (or walk would be a better term) With regard to batteries, are there "generic ones"? I have Amazon Prime, so can get things quickly, but if the GoPro site is better, I'll order direct, if I can get things delivered in time. (Or I could just go to BestBuy locally)

BestBuy will price match anything on Amazon.com, as long as it is sold and shipped by Amazon.

1] Pull the videos from the memory card to your computer hard drive

2] Open the editor program and add the video files to the left column

3] This is when you can look at them and decide what you want to actually edit - if you want to edit all of them, select all of them and then click the blue box just right of center at the bottom to "add selected to conversion list" and they will appear in the right column

4] Click the bottom blue box to convert them (this will take a few minutes to a couple hours depending on size of videos, power of the computer, etc)

5] When the program completes the conversion - "Step 2 Edit" box at top center turns blue - click it to start editing

6] Drag clips to the timeline at the bottom middle in the order that you want

7] You'll have to play with the settings to learn them - adding titles, music, speed up/slow down, etc.

8] Click "Step 3 Export" and choose what format you want the finished movie to be in. Click "Export" and the program will compile the movie

9] When it finishes you should have a viewable, shareable movie.

Otherwise, check youtube for tutorials, look for gopro forums, etc.

Thanks, Shootr will be playing with the camera on my days off, I only have 2 weeks then I am driving to Miami to set sail on the Breeze.

BestBuy will price match anything on Amazon.com, as long as it is sold and shipped by Amazon. Was able to get all my accessories at BestBuy and got some awesome deals, like the Chesty for $15 (selling at Best Buy for $40), got the wrist housing for $26 (selling for $39.99 at BestBuy) and Head Strap+ Quick Clip for $14.99 (selling for $29.99 at BestBuy),and pole mount $15.73 (believe it was being sold for $19.99) and the Tripod mount for $6.90 (selling for $9.99) all these items were price match by Best Buy. This really saved me some money.

Getting back to a previous discussion re. dry vs. lubricated O-rings

related to seal failure and thus leakage....

I've had my GoPro for about a week now, and had a good look/feel at my white O-ring last night..

realized it was bone-dry as supplied. (GoPro really should do something about that)

So I used a Q-tip to apply a tiny amount of Pledge spray-wax

to both the ring and the flat groove area where it seats against

and was pleasantly surprised when I shut and locked the case

-it did so without the usual tight struggle!

If GoPro is supplying their housing O-rings bone dry

that situation is inviting failure at depth. :eek:

I suggest you take a long hard look (and feel) at your O-ring

and do something about lubricating it with silicone spray

or silicone grease if you can avail yourself of that.

Edited by Aplmac

Whoa, I think you're playing with fire there. Old technology rubber o rings might have needed lubrication, but many current generation silicone and synthetic rubbers are naturally lubricating. I feel confident gopro knows what they have and monkeying with it is inviting trouble.

Whoa, I think you're playing with fire there.

Old technology rubber o rings might have needed lubrication,

but many current generation silicone and synthetic rubbers are naturally lubricating.

I feel confident gopro knows what they have and monkeying with it is inviting trouble.

Would be reassuring to have GoPro say something about their dry-O-ring technology.

Is this mentioned anywhere on their web-pages?

Or are we assuming on a Faith basis?

The only danger involved is if an unsuitable lubricating agent

acts as a chemical solvent against the O-ring material.

Nuther thing:

Does GoPro offer additional replacement O-rings?

Nothing lasts forever, and it's not a bad idea to replace O-rings annually.

Beats flooding the camera! ;)

I hope this is not a question that I should know better. We cruise in two weeks and I don't want to get home and have messed this up. When shooting time lapse, are there two ways to essentially accomplish this:

1. Shoot normal video and adjust speed up in formatting with GoPro App.

2. Shoot pictures in time delay.

If you can do it both ways, do you have a preference and does your preference depend on what your are shooting? What settings do you suggest for each?

Thanks for any help.

It depends on the scene. If it is a fast scene less than 30 minutes I will do video. If the scene is a slower one like snow melting or a sunset or something I will do time lapse mode. It really does depend on thescene and what effect I am going for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Also depends on size of file you want to work with. Time lapse mode may have smaller files depending on lengths as discussed by Belmont.

Another consideration is if you will have a lot of moving objects in the TL. If so may want to do video and speed it 5up. Otherwise objects look could "choppy"

Between an 18 hour drive home and now packing to move this weekend - I squeezed this out to see how it looked:

little over 3 hours shot at 720/60fps and sped up 10000%. Used the magnet mount and sprinkler timer for the panning movement hung upside down from the bulkhead. Inverted the video in post (easier than trying to find it in the camera menu). I goofed and upscaled it to 1080 in post, going to re-run it in 720 native and see if there is a difference in quality.