GoPro

MarTex

Thanks for sharing. What was the reason you chose to shoot this at 720/60 as opposed to using the time-lapse mode? Any lessons learned---how'd the external battery work, how large was the video file..etc...?

Edited by Tommy3putts

720/60 gives me maximum record time on my 32gb cards. In time lapse mode, every 2 seconds = less than 3 hours and borderline choppy with moving boats/vehicles Imo. Was right at 30gb total, took the gopro editing program 6 hours to chew through it all, 7 hours +/- total for project.

External battery rocked, I'll post a pic of the setup tonight. If you have a video back, use it for composing. I did, then pulled it off for the project.

They closed parts of the ship depending on conditions, like the bow one morning, so be aware your ideal location may change if wind picks up, maintenance, etc.

Minimize the distance from mount to camera - again wind will buffet it and be very noticeable in your project. When calm I used whatever, but in the wind just the camera on the magnet.

I wish I did more deck stuff, but was too busy having fun. Do have waterslide shots I'll post someday.

Will add more later, back to work...

Between an 18 hour drive home and now packing to move this weekend - I squeezed this out to see how it looked:

little over 3 hours shot at 720/60fps and sped up 10000%. Used the magnet mount and sprinkler timer for the panning movement hung upside down from the bulkhead. Inverted the video in post (easier than trying to find it in the camera menu). I goofed and upscaled it to 1080 in post, going to re-run it in 720 native and see if there is a difference in quality.

Great Vid Shootr!! After seeing your video I can't wait to try my magnetic mount in a couple of weeks. I have a 64 gig card and the battery pack so I'm going to try 1080/60 and see how that works out. I'm bringing my laptop and my one terabyte passport so I can dump the files every night. BTW,,how was your trip?

Gonna post some pics I hope?

1080/60FPS

USE YOUR ANTIFOG INSERTS! I had 2 in it on this trip, changed the battery between here and the barrier reef stop, and that brief 30 second exposure was enough to start getting a touch of fog on the back door after the second and third snorkel dives.

1080/60FPS

USE YOUR ANTIFOG INSERTS! I had 2 in it on this trip, changed the battery between here and the barrier reef stop, and that brief 30 second exposure was enough to start getting a touch of fog on the back door after the second and third snorkel dives.

Good info Shootr. We're in 5 different ports so I'm glad I bought a bag of them.

Did you use any filters while shooting this video?

I wanted to get a backscatter 3.1 flip combo filter before we left on the 22nd but

they are sold out until the 21st. Not enough of time to get one before we left so I guess that gives me an excuse to book another cruise:D

Good info Shootr. We're in 5 different ports so I'm glad I bought a bag of them.

Did you use any filters while shooting this video?

I wanted to get a backscatter 3.1 flip combo filter before we left on the 22nd but

they are sold out until the 21st. Not enough of time to get one before we left so I guess that gives me an excuse to book another cruise:D

Not sure how the driers work - they don't change color themselves so I'm guessing the indicator in the bag changes to tell you they are deteriorating. I just tossed them after each day in the water (which was only 2 as they canceled our dive in Coz. :(

No filters, I tweaked the color balance in post as well as the contrast a little. Even in beautiful water, after 10 feet or so, you're going to lose color just from the amount of water between you and the subject.

I still may get a ND filter to see how it impacts colors in land shots, but the shots I posted are only manipulated a little.

Here's the deal - the herky-jerky parts: I didn't change from 1080/24 (for early morning time lapse') to 1080/60, so when making the movie I slowed it down even more thinking it was at 60fps. It wasn't so the result is like 12fps instead.

Lesson: Constantly check your settings between projects...

Just got back from a long weekend in Florida for MLB spring training. Really enjoyed the GoPro. It's a great camera. Took two sunrise time lapses. One use time lapse mode the other using video. The video one clearly turned out vp better. But I'd still like to use the time lapse mode for our cruise. I think the weather that morning and had an effect. Also I used one frame per second and think the one frame per .5 seconds would be better for sunrises. I may try to post these this weekend.

I had the GoPro 2HD for my last cruise. I got the special red filter that was supposed to enhance Caribbean snorkel pictures. Very disappointed. I will film my snuba and snorkel dives my next cruise without the red filter snap in deal. I will also buy the Olympus stylus Tough IHS to bring with me as well. The reviews of the Olympus are very compelling. The f2.0 lens offers a significant picture over standard point and shoot cameras. I also found the Camalapse for only $30 from a major camera store in NY you can buy online.

Edited by FireStation46

When shooting our snorkel trip at 1080/60, I didn't get any stills at the time.

I pulled these frames from the video stream and I have to say, in a pinch, they are pretty darn good. Waiting to see how they print in a photobook, but at that small size I think it will be passable.

Run of the mill school...TkXo3yYrhBh2gm18ICz5qGMF-4NF5qz7qKGCp0Gb=w1044-h587-no

Frisbee the stingray...

cayman005.jpg

Reef stuff...

cayman004.jpg

Whoa, I think you're playing with fire there. Old technology rubber o rings might have needed lubrication, but many current generation silicone and synthetic rubbers are naturally lubricating. I feel confident gopro knows what they have and monkeying with it is inviting trouble.

I needed a tight seal on my aquarium canister filter and bought this on Amazon: Dow Corning high vacuum grease. One tube should last me 19,000 years:eek: it put an awesome and non-permanent seal on the filter, I wonder if it would help the GoPro case?

1080/60FPS

I will use them on my trips! Nice video and editing, I wish I could edit like that!

I just posted two brief Carnival VALOR videos -shot up high on Sky Deck 14!

First one is a general pan showing the Havensight area at St.Thomas, USVI

and some of Lido Deck 9 as seen from up high!

Second shot shows the girls having fun, going down Valor's waterslide!