Insurance

cruizer1001

Hello all,

My family and I (dw , 2dd and myself) are sailing on the Triumph out of Galveston on 12-30-2013. We only have a 4-1/2 hour drive and going the day before. Question is what type of insurance would buy medical only or anything else.

Thanks in advance

Harley

Go to insuremytrip.com. Fill in the information. Find the top three companies that seem to give you a good deal. Then call them. Tell the rep exactly what you want (some will have other benefits as part of the package). Then choose the one you like best.

Go to insuremytrip.com. Fill in the information. Find the top three companies that seem to give you a good deal. Then call them. Tell the rep exactly what you want (some will have other benefits as part of the package). Then choose the one you like best.

Also consider tripinsurancestore.com. We use them for all our travel insurance needs. You can check their website out which is very informative. I would also suggest calling and talking to their very knowledgeable reps who will work with you to get the coverage you want or need for your particular situation.

On the insurance websites that have been mentioned, I believe that if you DON'T want trip interruption/cancellation coverage, you leave the "value" of the trip blank. The site will then return premiums for only medical coverage, and perhaps some other items.

I have never don't this, so if I am incorrect, hopefully someone else will comment.

On the insurance websites that have been mentioned, I believe that if you DON'T want trip interruption/cancellation coverage, you leave the "value" of the trip blank. The site will then return premiums for only medical coverage, and perhaps some other items.

I have never don't this, so if I am incorrect, hopefully someone else will comment.

Leaving it blank will probably result in an error -- it's usually a required field. Use $0.00 instead.

Question

If OP requires medical coverage of pre-existing coverages, wouldn't OP be required to cover everything?

Depends on the plan. For example, with CSA they don't care how much or how little of your trip cost is insured. The timing of the purchase is all that matters. So using $0.00 as the insured trip cost will not affect the pre-ex status of the medical coverages. There are other similar plans. For example, this is from TravelSafe:

"WAIVER OF THE PRE-EXISTING CONDITION EXCLUSION

The exclusion for Pre-Existing Conditions will be waived if this plan is purchased within 21 days of the date Your initial Trip deposit is paid." That's it.

By contrast, many Travel Guard plans have the following requirement:

"PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION WAIVER

The Insurer will waive the pre-existing medical condition exclusion up to a maximum of the first $30,000 of Trip Cost per person if the following conditions are met:

1. This plan is purchased within 15 days of making the Initial Trip Payment;

2. The amount of coverage purchased equals all prepaid, non-refundable payments or deposits applicable to the Trip at the time of purchase, and the cost of any subsequent arrangement(s) added to the same Trip are insured within 15 days of the date of payment or deposit for any subsequent Trip arrangement(s);

3. All Insured’s are medically able to travel when plan cost is paid."

The former approach is much more user-friendly.

Depends on the plan. For example, with CSA they don't care how much or how little of your trip cost is insured. The timing of the purchase is all that matters. So using $0.00 as the insured trip cost will not affect the pre-ex status of the medical coverages. There are other similar plans. For example, this is from TravelSafe:

"WAIVER OF THE PRE-EXISTING CONDITION EXCLUSION

The exclusion for Pre-Existing Conditions will be waived if this plan is purchased within 21 days of the date Your initial Trip deposit is paid." That's it.

By contrast, many Travel Guard plans have the following requirement:

"PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION WAIVER

The Insurer will waive the pre-existing medical condition exclusion up to a maximum of the first $30,000 of Trip Cost per person if the following conditions are met:

1. This plan is purchased within 15 days of making the Initial Trip Payment;

2. The amount of coverage purchased equals all prepaid, non-refundable payments or deposits applicable to the Trip at the time of purchase, and the cost of any subsequent arrangement(s) added to the same Trip are insured within 15 days of the date of payment or deposit for any subsequent Trip arrangement(s);

3. All Insured’s are medically able to travel when plan cost is paid."

The former approach is much more user-friendly.

Hi cruiseco,

I hope you're well. I just found out that CSA is changing some of its plans soon and one change is that they will be requiring that 100% of the prepaid trip cost will be required to get the waiver of the pre-ex conditions.

Steve Dasseos

Hi cruiseco,

I hope you're well. I just found out that CSA is changing some of its plans soon and one change is that they will be requiring that 100% of the prepaid trip cost will be required to get the waiver of the pre-ex conditions.

Steve Dasseos

That's a shame. I think they were the only ones that let you insure as much as you want AND they gave you up until the final payment to get the pre-ex coverage.

Archived