Newbie - questions

Hi,

I have posted this in the Newbie thread and the RCCL forum as well, but thought I might be better to post it on here.

We have now booked on our first cruise. Rhapsody of the Seas New Years Eve cruise 2014/2015 to South Pacific :D We are travelling with a group from my daughter's dance school and are very excited to be going!! I just have a couple of questions and since I have been reading the boards on here for a while, I thought you might all be able to help me.

We are planning on getting the soda package for the kids (aged 16, 13 and 10), but, from what I have read, in the Teen area on the ship, if they decide to hang out there (the 13 and 16 yr olds), they have Mocktails. Would these be extra? I have been told previously to take the cc charge off their sea pass cards and possibly back them up with case so they have a small spending limit. Would the Mocktails then be booked to the seapass card?

I have read lots and lots about the drink packages and we've pretty much decided to get the premium package as much for the fact that it's pre-paid and we don't need to worry about the expense while on board. It's also a group social cruise so we are thinking there will probably be extra drinking involved. We are not normally heavy drinkers at home but on holidays where we don't have to drive anywhere we will probably drink enough to pay for the package. Anyone had it that thinks it's definitely not worth it? It know it's a personal decision but don't want to waste money we don't need to.

I am presuming my 13 year old will be able to sign himself in and out of the Teen Club or does he not need to sign in at all? Will the 10 year old be able to sign himself in/out or can I make it so that we have to sign him in or out?

Is there anything else that we might need to know about cruising to the South Pacific? Anything we should definitely not miss? We are cruising from Sydney to Luganville, Champagne Bay, Vila, Lifou and Isle of Pines. I will research before we go, but thought others who have been might know of some must do's. Has anyone done the underwater post office? It's not my thing but my 15 yr old (will be 16) said she would love to do it. Would she be able?

Sorry for the overload. I am a "planner" and I am sure I will have many, many more questions before we go, although hopefully once on board we will just be able to relax and enjoy it. Thanks.

Vickie

The premium drinks package is well worth the money but not the hangover lol

We cancelled ours on day 5 of a 14 nighter because we couldnt remember much at all about the first 4 days:D

If you are not big drinkers at home but moderate drinkers on holidays then its not worth the price unless you want to drink premium type cocktails.

RCI drinks are very reasonably priced and very very strong, people are always saying they dont mind paying for the package because of "convenience" but how inconvenient is signing a til slip when you pay as you drink?

To be honest unless you were a big drinker then you couldnt drink that amount of drinks to cover the cost day in day out.

You just cant help chasing the daily cost and surpassing it as you pass out lol.

Hi Vickie

We have not done the drinks packages before but will do the soda package for the kids on our upcoming cruise. I suppose you have to work out how much you will be drinking each day, this includes days that you are in port. If you plan to spend the day doing the tourist thing then you won't be drinking while on land. If I got the package I would feel the need to drink to excess just to feel like I have got my moneys worth.

We went to many of the places you listed on our P&O cruise.

Pt Vila- good place to get duty free stuff, I think it is Fung Kuei.

Luganville- We did a half day tour around the town, it was interesting to hear about the American presence during the second world war.

Lifou- did not go there but heading there on our new years eve cruise

Isle of pines- we just spent all day on the beach snorkelling, was ok.

Champagne Bay- One of the best beaches we have seen. Brilliant white beach and wonderfully clear blue water. Great snorkelling. Downside or something to be prepared for. The beach is mainly coral and the feet can take a bit of a battering. Highly recommend buying the reef shoes for about $10 each from K-Mart.

Only downside was leaving and seeing the hordes from the ship had left their rubbish over the beach. Something that looked so pristine when we got there did not look the same when we left.

I am also a planner and like to make sure I have covered every possibility. You will pack a heap of things you don't need... but good to have just in case!

I'm sure you will have a great time, make sure you relax and enjoy.

Brian

I've sailed on Rhapsody 2 times but never had the drinks package ,for a couple of reasons ..I don't think I'd get value for money (I'm a moderate drinker my wife is a social drinker) but more important was you could only order your own drink on your own card so if your in a group of people there would be no getting into "shouts", kids club was great on rhapsody from all accounts also

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

As a "newbie" there are always lots of questions and this forum will help you heaps! I don't know how I managed my first cruise without it!

Up towards the top here you'll find a search tool where you type in a question and then that may open a thread with a similar query. You'll also find some reviews here about the Rhapsody.

I looked to see if there was a Roll Call for your cruise but it appears that there isn't one started yet. Here is the link to the Rhapsody Roll Calls where perhaps you can read what others are asking specifically about the ship:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=270

Also click on Destinations on the menu bar here and from there you should be able to find information about your ports of call.

Personally, I really enjoyed my cruise to the South Pacific on Rhapsody. A great little ship with a happy crew! What more could you want?

You have LOTS of time to plan! All the very best!:)

Gae

I'm new to RCI and we're booked for 22 Feb. I've just read that there's no laundry facilities (self service) on board. Is it expensive to have professionally done. Have cruised on P&O and Princess and with three girls found that I spent every 2nd day in the laundry.

I'm new to RCI and we're booked for 22 Feb. I've just read that there's no laundry facilities (self service) on board. Is it expensive to have professionally done. Have cruised on P&O and Princess and with three girls found that I spent every 2nd day in the laundry.

Correct, no self-serve laundries. We found the laundry costs to be quite economical. Normally there is a day or two when they offer a special service where you fill a bag with as much as you can for $20 or $25, limited to PJ's, underwear, T-shirts etc.

In any case, it's your holiday too - why would you want to spend every 2nd day in the laundry :D

The idea is to take enough clothes so you do not have to wash.

I have been on 17 cruises and have only been to the laundry the very first cruise. What a hotbox. I wash underwear in my room and wear clothes a couple of times, even did this on our last 35 nighter....clothes were worn more than twice on that one. :)

The idea is to take enough clothes so you do not have to wash.

I have been on 17 cruises and have only been to the laundry the very first cruise. What a hotbox. I wash underwear in my room and wear clothes a couple of times, even did this on our last 35 nighter....clothes were worn more than twice on that one. :)

Yes, everyone is in the same boat (pun intended):D

Hi,

Is there anything else that we might need to know about cruising to the South Pacific? Anything we should definitely not miss? We are cruising from Sydney to Luganville, Champagne Bay, Vila, Lifou and Isle of Pines. I will research before we go, but thought others who have been might know of some must do's. Has anyone done the underwater post office? It's not my thing but my 15 yr old (will be 16) said she would love to do it. Would she be able?

Vickie

I can't answer any of the drink questions but the Underwater Post Office is an easy one :)

It can be found at Hideaway Island (about 10 minutes drive from Port Vila) and is very easy to do. There is a free boat from the mainland and you pay 1000vt on the island for use of the facilities. The snorkelling there is great, the water is clear and if you take bread you will have thousands of fish surrounding you for a feed. The 'Post Office' is meant to be manned at certain times of the day, I have never seen this but there is also a small postbox where you can post your waterproof postcard (about 400vt from the island shop). There is a bar, small restaurant and lots of sun loungers there so it's easy to spend a few relaxing hours. Just remember to wear reef shoes as there is no sand here, just crushed coral, and it can be rough on the feet!

You can hire snorkeling gear for 500vt, take a snorkeling safari or do a glass bottomed boat tour (I think these are around 1000vt pp).

Happy to give more advice if there are other activities you are considering doing :)

Champagne Bay has the famous Blue Lagoon, it's worth taking a bus or doing a local tour to swim there. There are lots of markets are just lounge on Champagne Beach.

Lifou has the most amazing snorkeling at Jinek Bay, there are some caves and 2 churches with amazing views, small markets and a quaint pub.

Isle of Pines has the Natural aquarium, again some amazing snorkeling. We also snorkelled the Sacred Rock but on the day we were there there was nothing to see :/

Archived