Holes in my plan? (miami area)

CheapieD

I wanted some advice from the Miami area experts. We are departing from POM in November. I am currently booked at the Marriott Airport since our flight doesn't get in until 5:30 or later now (Thanks AA for changing schedules :( )

I have been waffling on staying there or using Marriott rewards points to book a room at the JW Marriott Marquis. I searched the forum and Trip advisor and this seems to be a great choice for a hotel.

Now my issue. They have a sirport shuttle but it is $25 pp. It looks like a cab would also be $25 for the trip (or half the cost of the shuttle) but it looks like Miami has a great train system and I could take either the metrorail (looks like a five minute walk from the airport) or use the people mover and than get the metrorail. I could than walk from the metro rail station( Google says 15 minutes so a mile or less) or grab the people mover and be within a minute or two of the hotel. I think the station is Government center. We likely will only have our carry-on bags and 1 rolling suitcase. What is the neighborhood like from Government center to the Marriott? Any flaws in my plan or a better way to get from the airport to the hotel? I know when my flight was scheduled to get in earlier I had thought about taking a train north to see some of the landscape and the board informed me I would get a nice view of I95 so sometimes searching the internet doesn't give me the whole picture.

Lastly when I search the train schedule it doesn't go out to November so I also wasn't sure if they cut back on the train schedule on the weekends in the winter.

Walking from the airport terminal to the Miami Intermodal Center bus and rail station is completely out of the question. That is what the free monorail is there for.

The distance from Government Center Station to the JW Marriot is much too far to walk even with as little luggage as you expect to have. And I would call Metromover after dark on a weekend quite iffy for the first time user. It is a free, unmanned system with unsecured open stations; unless there is a major event at Bayfront Park or the Heat Area that night there will be more people drinking and/or sleeping on the platforms then using the system. That said, you are no more likely to encounter an actual criminal in Downtown Miami than in any other large city center; I'm just suggesting you determine your own comfort level with such arrangements.

If you can stay at the Marriott Marquis I would highly recommend that over the airport hotel. After you check in you can walk to dinner and will have a much wider selection.

I would just take a taxi though over a shuttle and over public transportation.

Keith

We are pretty comfortable taking public trains and buses and I am aware of my surroundings in metropolitan areas so that part I wasn't to worried about. But I agree if the monorail is automated and not a secure area it probably isn't a good idea. Nothing like sticking out as someone from out of the area.

I realize the Marquis is a great upgrade, I just wanted to determine the logistics of getting there safely and at a lower cost.

So it looks like a cab or shuttle is the route I would have to take.

No I have to decide if the points spent are worth it for short time we will be there. (probably be 7 pm before we checked in) It would be about 40k for a bay view room which equates to a redemption of only $.00625 per point (or less than a penny a point) I try to do redemption range of over $.01 a point. Versus the Marriott airport which is $79 a night and I will likely get a room upgrade and it would almost ensure I would get platinum this year (which would grant me United Air Elite status as well) I need to quit reading so I wont keep changing my mind because the Marquis sounds great. First world problems :)

IME 99 times out of 100 in the US major cities, as soon as you have a second person (or more) in the equation a shuttle costs more than a taxi. Unless the shuttle is "free" of course.

SO MANY people take a shuttle because they assume it costs less without ever checking. I'll admit I made this mistake for a couple of years b4 I checked... but in the early 90's it took more effort TO check ... little excuse today.

I lived and worked in Miami for 10 years on and off from 1982 'til 2000. I'd take a taxi . . . Metrorail is OK, Metromover less so esp' as mentioned after the workday ends, unless a sporting or other event fills it up . . . I don't like being the only person on a New York subway car after 8 pm, dragging a suitcase either . . .

Archived