Horizon view suites

forevertravel

For those of you who have booked Horizon suites in the past, are they worth it? Regent offered an upsell yesterday to a Horizon suite and we decided to take it. I usually do not like Aft suites because I'm afraid of vibration. I always book mid-ship cabins. However, this sounded like a good deal so we decided to give it a try. I read on some of the posts that instead of tipping the butler we should contribute to crew fund. Is that what most of you do? I was wondering if I should tip the butler and how much. Thank you for your comments. Our cruise is Med cruise from Athens to Istanbul with three days in Israel. We are so looking forward to it. In less than two weeks we fly to Athens.

Forevertravel

Voyager 2010

Mariner 2011

Navigator 2012

Voyager 2013

Mariner 2013

We've done Horizon suites on Voyager. We find the view of the wake mesmerizing. The terraces are larger and lovely but there is often some and can be [in rough seas] a great deal of vibration. Only you can decide how much this matters to you. Your itinerary suggests relatively calm seas and lots of port days.

Enjoy your cruise.

We were in a Horizonview on Voyager once, and while there was a bit of vibration on occasion (mostly tinkling of glasses and a few ceiling creaks) we didn't find it objectionable. We are booked in another one next spring.

One issue we did have, however, was black soot on our deck furniture...ruined a pair of shorts before we learned to drape a towel over the chairs before we sat down. Just be aware...

For those of you who have booked Horizon suites in the past, are they worth it? Regent offered an upsell yesterday to a Horizon suite and we decided to take it. I usually do not like Aft suites because I'm afraid of vibration. I always book mid-ship cabins. However, this sounded like a good deal so we decided to give it a try. I read on some of the posts that instead of tipping the butler we should contribute to crew fund. Is that what most of you do? I was wondering if I should tip the butler and how much. Thank you for your comments. Our cruise is Med cruise from Athens to Istanbul with three days in Israel. We are so looking forward to it. In less than two weeks we fly to Athens.

Forevertravel

Voyager 2010

Mariner 2011

Navigator 2012

Voyager 2013

Mariner 2013

Good decision IMHO. Like others say, minor vibration but large deck is great. Wonderful itinerary unless they are rioting in Athens like when we went. Also, we like to personally tip the butler if he really does special things for you. Enjoy:D

I'm assuming you are on Mariner. If so, you will love the Horizon suite. We were upsold on Mariner starting in Istanbul three years ago & that balcony is to die for. (No vibration on Mariner)

Enjoy!

Forevertravel

Voyager 2010

Mariner 2011

Navigator 2012

Voyager 2013

Mariner 2013

Thank you for all the responses. Now I'm getting more excited about the Horizon Suite on the Mariner. Thank you for tip about soot on Deck furniture.

Jackhawk, we were on the Beijing to Bangkok cruise March 2013. It's a wonderful cruise and you will love it. We have friends who will be on that cruise also.

Thank you again. I didn't mean to open a can of worms with question about tipping. I know is personal and we have tipped our cabin steward in the past if she or he has been exceptional.:)

For those of you who have booked Horizon suites in the past, are they worth it? Regent offered an upsell yesterday to a Horizon suite and we decided to take it. .........

The value is kind of hit and miss. If you are with a group and use the extra space to entertain. I took an up sell once on the same kind of last minute offer. It was on a crossing so we did have sometime to enjoy the larger suite and use the butler. Your upcoming voyage is very port intensive, some of the Israel tours run 13 hours, so I don't think you have much time to truly enjoy the suite.

See you on the ship, two more week.

j

29/402

(31/424)

Thank you for all the responses. Now I'm getting more excited about the Horizon Suite on the Mariner. Thank you for tip about soot on Deck furniture.

Jackhawk, we were on the Beijing to Bangkok cruise March 2013. It's a wonderful cruise and you will love it. We have friends who will be on that cruise also.

Thank you again. I didn't mean to open a can of worms with question about tipping. I know is personal and we have tipped our cabin steward in the past if she or he has been exceptional.:)

....The soot only happens when an engineer has not properly brought the throttles up. It is not a normal occurance. The Mariner has no vibration at all. Enjoy your cruise!

Congratulations! You made the right call. We have had the horizon suites and seven seas aft suites and have never been disappointed. Never had a soot issue.

By the way, whatever advice you get on this board, tip the butler and anyone else who provides exceptional service, plus the crew. You will not regret. It is a "luxury" cruise.

Uncle D,

I totally disagree with you. Indeed it is a luxury cruise. Tips are included. I believe that the crew always chooses to do whatever they can to make the guest's experience the best. I do not believer that tipping provides better service. Donate to the crew fund!

Agree 100% with Patti22. Those of you who have been tipping have already set an expectation. Shame on you! We have had a butler who did not give good service (rare on Regent) stand there waiting for a tip. This is not what Regent is all about. Just a few years ago this was not an issue. People who felt a strong desire to tip, gave to the Crew Fund. Suddenly Regent is getting passengers from mainstream cruise lines who feel that they must tip -- regardless of the policy of the company. IMO, passengers on Regent (NOT Oceania) should have respect for their policies! This has already created a "we"/"they" situation. Most loyal Regent cruisers understand the policy while "newbies" (and I usually love newbies) think they know more than Regent.

In terms of Horizon Suites. I have been quite outspoken about not having Horizon or Seven Seas Aft Suites on the Voyager or Navigator. However, due to circumstances beyond our control, we will be in a Seven Seas Aft Suite on our Singapore to Sydney cruise in December (Voyager).

On the Navigator we have had plenty of opportunities to view where we have been vs. where we are going and do not care for it much. It reminds my DH of going backwards on British Air Business Class (they have weird seats). However, in order to take this cruise, we have what we have and will live with it. I will report back as to how the vibration affected us. I would be surprised if it didn't bother the heck out of my DH and not bother me at all. Not sure why some passengers love the large balconies unless you are having parties in good weather. We have sailed in Master Suites with huge balconies...... but, we are only two people and cannot utilize all of the space.

Forevertravel

Voyager 2010

Mariner 2011

Navigator 2012

Voyager 2013

Mariner 2013

Hi,

I have 2 questions for general info. Others who could answer, I would appreciate it.

1. When you were offered this upsell, what room did you have originally? Just wondered how many levels do they normally upsell from reserved room.

2. We are reserved in penthouse b. Will have butler. What is the normal suggested tip for a 10 day crusie?

Thanks!

Hi,

I have 2 questions for general info. Others who could answer, I would appreciate it.

1. When you were offered this upsell, what room did you have originally? Just wondered how many levels do they normally upsell from reserved room.

2. We are reserved in penthouse b. Will have butler. What is the normal suggested tip for a 10 day crusie?

Thanks!

We typically are booked in Penthouse "B" suites. Our upsells have been for Seven Seas Suites, Voyager/Navigator/Mariner suites, Grand and Master Suites.

Hi,

Thanks!

Please don't tip. Gratuities are not expected and do not get to the many who help make your cruise enjoyable. If you feel the need to pay extra, contributions to the crew fund are always welcome. Your Cruise Director will explain the benefits.

Hi,

Thanks!

The "normal" suggested tip for a 10 day cruise is absolutely ZERO (0). Gratuities are included in your cruise fare. Like many others, if you absolutely have to tip more than the included amount, please give it to the crew fund!!!

Hi,

Thanks!

We up sold from F to Horizon suite.

Grew up in KC

Archived