Would you upgrade to a JS from a D1 for another $1,000?

Ladysilver

I am hoping you mean $1000 total and not pp. If I were trying to rack up more C&A points to get to the Diamond/Diamond Plus/Pinnacle level I may consider it. We booked a JS for our next cruise in January and felt it was worth it because we are doing a B2B and will be able to utilize the Diamond Lounge on the second leg of our cruise. Then, we will switch rooms and be in a balcony. I am still hoping we will be able to upgrade to a GS for the first part of the cruise so we can utilize the CL.

No offense, but very difficult to answer not knowing your expectations as to what would make this worth $1,000 more.

What I can tell you is that you will get double C & A points, a larger balcony, larger room with more cabinet storage, additional chairs in the seating area, typically a walk in closet, and a tub in the bathroom. Other than that you get none of the full suite (GS and higher) perks which primarily means no Concierge Lounge privileges.

If you want an opinion, we have stayed in D1's, JS's and full suites and $1,000 more for a JS seems steep in my book unless the double points matter to you. (When we stayed in JS's the premium over the D's was not that high).

That's $1,000 for 3 people. If it was per person, I wouldn't even consider it. :eek:

Well that's a minor omitted detail that certainly would slant the thought process a bit. :D

Having three in a JS certainly would be more comfortable than a D1 and that in of itself might justify the upgrade if it is within your budget. Adding the double cruise points - if that's important to you - would probably seal the deal with me.

Not worth it . 1000 dollars seems alot for prority embarkation,walkin wardrobe and additional cruse points. Lady silver is right g

Lady Silver is the OP who asked the original question as to whether or not this would be worth it. :confused:

The key benefit IMO you are overlooking is that there are three in their party currently in a D1 and the extra space would be a consideration with cost. $1,000 across three people is maybe something worth considering. True there have been better valued upgrades that other people have experienced but the issue with Lady Silver is this particular cruise.

Lady Silver is the OP who asked the original question as to whether or not this would be worth it. :confused:

The key benefit IMO you are overlooking is that there are three in their party currently in a D1 and the extra space would be a consideration with cost. $1,000 across three people is maybe something worth considering. True there have been better valued upgrades that other people have experienced but the issue with Lady Silver is this particular cruise.

SORRY meant you not ladysilver in my reply.

The JS are ok on the NAV a lot of room, but a 1000 seems a lot extra If this is for a 7day cruise, for 3 especially as the third would be paying less. g

I'm in a D1 looking to upgrade to a JS for the points (would make me Diamond BEFORE a 10 day Honeymoon instead of after). But $1K is too much for me at this time. If it gets down to $500 (total, which I doubt!) I will go for it.

On a cost basis for points only though it's not an awful deal at $1K total; just that historically there have been much better deals. And even though I may not make Diamond before the next one, I can apply my savings to the next next one and enjoy my time again.

If you have the money I say YES! We always stay in a JS. We love the bigger balcony and the lounge chairs are great for napping. The walk in closet is wonderful and the bigger bathroom with the tub/shower is really nice. I like space. I don't like feeling crowded. I know many cruisers see their cabin as just a place to sleep and shower. We love spending quiet time in our room on the balcony. Totally worth it to me. It's a personal choice.

$1000 (even for 3) is too much! I booked a JS on the Navigator 4-17-14 for $400 (per cabin) more than a D1. Also have the corner aft JS on Serenade of the seas for $300 (per cabin) more than a D1!

I am sailing on the Navigator Feb 5th 2014...first sailing after dry dock! Booked in an E2 .... this will more than likely be my last "balcony"..... I have a feeling the JS are going to spoil me! :rolleyes:

Well.......I just checked and it's gone down to a total of $650.00 to upgrade to a JS. Now I'm reconsidering.....:cool:

If you are in a position where the double points matter, spending $650 on three people for one week is a pretty cheap way to get them. One aspect to consider. If it doesn't make a difference I would still say keep the D1.

This is a decision only you can make. There is more room, a larger balcony, a bathtub and double cruise points. That's about it for the difference except for the price. If those things are worth a cool G to you, then go for it. ;)

We recently sailed on the Grandeur with family, some had JS and others had D1, the sofa beds in the D1 cabins were actually larger than the one in the JS 2 cushions vs 3 cushions...something to consider if you've got a 3rd & 4th in the room. I don't know if this is always true on all ships.

Archived