Question about travel insurance

kesam

We don't normally take out travel insurance, but we are going on the 49 day cruise around Cape Horn in Feb. And it is becoming very expencive as we have booked a full suite for the full 49days and the number of tours have added up a lot too.

This is the question, which insurance is the best? Princess or other? Any help will be appreciated.

Cyndi

We don't normally take out travel insurance, but we are going on the 49 day cruise around Cape Horn in Feb. And it is becoming very expencive as we have booked a full suite for the full 49days and the number of tours have added up a lot too.

This is the question, which insurance is the best? Princess or other? Any help will be appreciated.

There is no one "best" as there are so many variables. Age is a consideration. Princess insurance does not charge a premium if you're older; independent insurance companies normally do. Princess insurance doesn't cover anything that isn't booked through Princess. If you've booked independent air, that isn't covered. Tours aren't covered although if you've booked Princess tours and cancel, you won't be charged. Independent insurance can cover any hotel or other non-cruise specific expenses.

Does one of you have pre-existing medical conditions? Definitely something to double-check when it comes to insurance as most insurance policies won't cover you if you do.

Do you want "cancel for any reason"? This can be an important question. If one of you gets sick and leaves the ship, will the other's hotel or other costs be covered? Some independent insurance companies will cover only a few days. Princess insurance will refund or credit up to the cost of the cruise.

Check all of the "what if's" and decide what type of insurance you want, what you want covered, what you're willing to leave to chance. Independent insurance costs more as you add options. Do your research.

We use the Princess Platinum insurance and have an annual policy with MedJet Assist, which will fly you from anywhere in the world to anywhere in the US in a medically-equipped jet. You can purchase MedJet Assist for just your cruise.

We always buy both insurances, health and travel interruption. My wife had a gall bladder attack on one of our Alaska Cruises and was medevacuated off the ship. In hospital for 3 days, flight out back to Seattle. Insurance paid for all of it including a 50% refund for the part of the cruise lost, plus First Class airfare from Alaska back to Seattle. This was well into 5 digits. If your insurance covers you for 100% of all issues while travelling including way out of the country, use it. We were glad we had the insurance. Yes you can shop it around as some are less than others, but make sure it covers all you need to get covered, cause if it does not, you pay the balance.

thank you all for the help, just called TA and we will go with princess and maybe med jet, dh is 75 so not sure about that, and we have platinum Amex so they may cover some too. We are checking, :D thanks again.

Cyndi

We purchase our travel insurance thru tripinsurancestore.com and usually get the Travel Safe policy as it has a high medical coverage and medical evacuation. If not sure what you need or should have, you may want to check out their website and/or call one of their very helpful reps. They will work with you to get the best coverage for your situation needs.

Hope you have a great cruise:)

Yes, AMEX Platinum rules. I have it and when it was time to leave the hospital after my wife's gall bladder issue I made one call and said "get us out of here" and in 3 minutes we were booked. Turned the ticket into the insurance company and their check covered the First Class air fare back to Seattle. It is the only card I carry. YMMV as there are other cards out there that may do this but this is my one and only card. All points go into one bucket also. I purchased the cruise medical insurance thru AMEX, as they do not cover cruise medical insurance for me. My company insurance also does not cover cruise or out of country medical. Please read your insurance policy's very closely to insure that you are covered wherever you go and stay safe.

We never travel without the insurance. On our last cruise DW broke her leg. Between the ship medical charges and flight changes the cost totaled more than $3300. We were just in the Caribbean and she didn't require hospitalization or medi-vac services. The travel insurance covered the costs. Pay close attention to the "existing conditions" clause and the time frame needed to cover these.

Many insurance policies WILL cover pre-existing conditions as long as you purchase the insurance within 10 - 15 days of booking your trip. (The number of days depend on the company offering the insurance). I prefer to book with an independent insurance company--not the cruise line's insurance--because there's no question of a conflict of interest.

To find (and compare) a wide variety of insurance policies, check out the well-regarded and oft-recommended InsureMyTrip.com and SquareMouth.com

Cyndi

Don't ever leave without it! I had to be evacuated from Turks and Caicos to Miami about 3 yrs ago. We had Princess Platinum and they were wonderful to me and to my husband with help and phone calls to him daily.I was in Miami at Jackson Memorial for 17 days,did well after surgery and was very glad to have insurance cover most of hotel costs, all the med evac costs and airline rebooking fees. Princess gave us cruise credit for the days missed because of my illness..

We purchase our travel insurance thru tripinsurancestore.com and usually get the Travel Safe policy as it has a high medical coverage and medical evacuation. If not sure what you need or should have, you may want to check out their website and/or call one of their very helpful reps. They will work with you to get the best coverage for your situation needs.

Hope you have a great cruise:)

I have also been very happy with the help and advice I get from tripinsurancestore dot com. They only handle a few different agencies so they know the ins and outs of each policy very well and can recommend which is best suited for your needs.

I applaud the OP for checking it out and getting insurance. A friend of mine who never gets insurance for shorter cruises, did get it for her 45 day Around-the-Horn cruise. They were a very active, healthy couple in their late 50's. She had multiple pulmonary embolisms two days before they left. It was a relief to them to know they didn't have to worry about those costs when they had so many other issues to deal with at that time.

Archived