Norovirus Outbreak on QM2

pke-atlanta

Well, it's time to go! :eek::eek::eek:

Wish me luck - you have all been so kind with your replies... You guys are making me cry! Glojo - WOW!

Wish I had time to find one of you to share a cab onto Kensington with after the cruise... I'm not good at this yet!

Any all prayers and good wishes and advice is SINCERELY APPRECIATED!!!

You've made me very proud to be one of you!:)

One of the biggest failures by any cruise line when dealing with an outbreak of noro is the handling of your stateroom card. Drinks servers handle it (dont forget to carry your own pen to sign for drinks). Security staff handle it when you get on or off the ship. They're touching your card as well as countless other peoples cards. Surely this has to be the biggest transmitter of infections! Wash your card as well as your hands.

A bit over the top?

No, that's one of the ways of spreading a virus.

TV remote controls, safety box control buttons and in room telephones are risky as well.

And the glasses... Have you ever watched them beeing cleaned? I have a not publishable video taken in a 5 star NYC hotel bath room when the maid cleaned the appartment...

Revolting, but I know that Cunard takes the glasses to the dishwasher when obviously used. But what happens to those which are in the cupboard? Are they frequently exchange or at least checked?

Gesendet von meinem Transformer TF101 mit Tapatalk 4

Thank you very much indeed Pushka for that most informative link and for my fellow UK travellers can you please tell me if we buy any of these products 'over the counter' and if so what one would we recommend?

rehydration fluids such as Gastrolyte, Hydralyte or Restore ORS.

I know that Cunard takes the glasses to the dishwasher when obviously used. But what happens to those which are in the cupboard? Are they frequently exchange or at least checked?

On my recent MSC cruise I found that the glass was NOT being washed. It was just left wherever I put it. I started to wonder if I was only meant to use it for drinks from the mini bar that I paid for!

Thank you, thank you ALL, you REALLY helped!:)

Blonde Artist, please come to the CC get-together in the Commodore Club at 2 p.m. on tomorrow, Sept 23. There are a few members on a Roll Call who are meeting then. We can all trade info on what we've learned about the noro outbreak. Hopefully, the news is that it is conquered for our crossing.:)

Hi Folks. We arrived home a short time ago. Disembarkation was standard, nothing unusual except I noticed contract workers cleaning the handrails on the gangway ramp as we disembarked.

Just a couple of random thoughts: the ships' doctor indicated last week on the morning TV show that until lab tests are completed - and those tests can only be done on shore, the cause of the gastro-intestional outbreak is uncertain. She also said - as others have previously stated, that hand washing and use of hand sanitizers is imperative, but also mentioned that Noro virus can airborne, i.e., transmitted via secretions such as a sneeze or a cough from infected individuals.

On this cruise, I noticed an unusual number of people coughing and sneezing. After talking to several fellow passengers, I seemed to me that there were more than a few with respiratory symptoms unrelated to any gastrointestional illness. Of course, this is only based on my observations as there are no requirements to report respiratory illness. One woman I spoke said she went to the Medical Centre the day after she first felt symptoms of what she thought was a cold. She was given prednisone, antibiotics and a Nebulizer, which she said relieved her symptoms.

Bon voyage to all of you sailing today. I know you will be understanding of the staff as they worked extra long, hard hours for the past 10 days. Hopefully, their extraordinary efforts were successful and you will all have an enjoyable voyage.

Regards,

Salacia

On this cruise, I noticed an unusual number of people coughing and sneezing. After talking to several fellow passengers, I seemed to me that there were more than a few with respiratory symptoms unrelated to any gastrointestional illness. Of course, this is only based on my observations as there are no requirements to report respiratory illness. One woman I spoke said she went to the Medical Centre the day after she first felt symptoms of what she thought was a cold. She was given prednisone, antibiotics and a Nebulizer, which she said relieved her symptoms.

Welcome back Salacia!

On my last two voyages on Queen Victoria (one 21 days and the other 18 days) I have come down with a bad cough about Day 7. It seems I have asthma that shows up at its worst on board ship! (In the last few years I had started coughing in Summer, but was symptom-free apart from that until the last year on QV.) I will go on my next cruise armed with appropriate asthma medication to see if that helps.

I also visited an alternative practitioner whose tests showed I had aspergillus (a fungus) in my lungs and who treated me for it.

I have no idea whose diagnosis and treatment were correct! I look forward to another cruise in order to test the asthma diagnosis.

Welcome back Salacia!

On my last two voyages on Queen Victoria (one 21 days and the other 18 days) I have come down with a bad cough about Day 7. It seems I have asthma that shows up at its worst on board ship! (In the last few years I had started coughing in Summer, but was symptom-free apart from that until the last year on QV.) I will go on my next cruise armed with appropriate asthma medication to see if that helps.

I also visited an alternative practitioner whose tests showed I had aspergillus (a fungus) in my lungs and who treated me for it.

I have no idea whose diagnosis and treatment were correct! I look forward to another cruise in order to test the asthma diagnosis.

Thanks Fantasy51, it's good to be home. Sorry about your diagnosis/treatment dilemma. But that is very interesting and asthma explain why there seems to be more passengers coughing on longer voyages:confused:.

One woman that I was standing next to on line waiting to board a tour bus last week started coughing and apparently felt compelled to explain to others around her that she didn't have any gastrointestional symptoms - just a bad cold. Things sure can get weird when there's a suspected Noro outbreak:eek:

On my last cruise I did a lot of ballroom dancing in the evenings. Although I knew my cough was caused by asthma, I still used the gel on my hands each time after coughing. I wasn't going to take the chance of my partners coming down with anything on my account.

One woman I spoke said she went to the Medical Centre the day after she first felt symptoms of what she thought was a cold. She was given prednisone, antibiotics and a Nebulizer, which she said relieved her symptoms.

By given I presume you mean sold.

David.

I sneeze a lot caused by massive allergies. When travelling with people from the US I feel the constant necessity to explain this.

To save yourself the trouble, you could get a t-shirt made that reads: "To US Citizens: I sneeze a lot due to allergies.

Thank you for your interest - no one else gives a dam"

:D

There was no delay in boarding today. We arrived at the cruise terminal at 11.40 and then arrived at our stateroom at 12.10 and our bags were already there. Then a nice lunch in the Golden Lion.

We were given a sheet of medical info on checking in indicating a small rise in reported gastro-intestinal on the previous cruise and a whole host of suggestions for prevention. Hand washing is, of course, the main one. It was obvious a lot of washing was underway on board.

So far is all is well. We've just enjoyed a nice dinner and a stroll around the promenade deck. Now time for bed. Tomorrow will be our first full day on our favourite ship. :D

Archived