Norovirus Outbreak on QM2

pke-atlanta

Thanks for the update, Salacia. And thanks for bring the thread back on topic.

I found this story from Wednesday indicating there were 8 cases prior to then:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10682051.Norovirus_outbreak_on_luxury_cruise_ship/

I hope, Salacia, you have had a great cruise despite the outbreak. We are boarding on Sunday and hoping all is disinfected by then.

I do hope that the outbreak will not impact those of you on the next voyage. Crew infections as well as contaminated surfaces are the issues after the current passengers depart. Fortunately, my husband and I are not boarding until mid-October, but these outbreaks can last a long, long time.

I had also heard (I believe from one of you wonderful folks) that when this happened before - that the ship was VERY late (like an entire DAY!?) leaving port. Will we possibly be stuck in NY for hours or a night???:eek::eek::eek:

To the best of my recollection, the last time there was a significant Norovirus outbreak on the QM2 was last December. At least that's the last time the outbreak was bad enough to trigger a report on the CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program web pages. There were a total of 220 passengers and crew counted as being ill in that CDC report. At that time, Cunard notified passengers on the next voyage that there would be a four hour delay in boarding.

So far there is no indication this outbreak is as widespread as the one last December. At any rate, it has not yet triggered the posting of a CDC report. It is certainly possible that there will be an embarkation delay for the upcoming crossing, but I would think it is unlikely any such delay (if it occurs) would be more than a few hours.

Regards,

John.

Code Red still in effect. Captain said yesterday at his noon announcement that new cases of gastro-intestional illness are still being reported. No details are being given regarding how many passengers and crew members have been/are sick.

Thanks all for your good wishes.

Regards,

Salacia

I know how serious this can be to

Follow passengers and you

To have this on your vacation is upsetting

To say the least

This noro seems to be getting worse

Hoping it can be stopped

Anybody know what's really going on or just how worried I should be? Don't want to be a sissy, but husband has stents... is 80! Seems stupid to walk into an outbreak on PURPOSE!? ADVICE? :eek::eek::eek:

Hello Blonde Artist:

Being concerned about a loved one is certainly not being a sissy.

We were on a sailing right after a Norovirus outbreak on a ship. The crew were very vigilant in cleaning the ship (cleaners were everywhere), serving the food (we were not allowed to serve ourselves in the buffet), the staff even poured the drinks at the self-serve counters, the salt and pepper were packaged in individual serving packets, etc.

We were asked if at all possible not to use the public restrooms but to use our cabin's restroom. Do not shake hands with people. Everyone should understand this and not take offense following a sailing with Norovirus.

I take Lysol wipes with me and wipe down all switches, door handles, the phone, the TV remote, etc. in the cabin (not sure if it helps but I feel better doing it for my husband's sake who has health issues).

The important thing is to wash your hands as often as possible, try not to put your fingers in your mouth or to touch your eyes with them. (a nurse offered me that advice).

Here is an article that was on Cruise Critic about Noro:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=71

About the staff serving the food in the buffet, I heard some people complaining as it 'takes longer' to get through the lines, however, it is necessary and we really appreciated that this was done. The staff really does such an amazing job in these type of circumstances.

I hope you have a healthy and enjoyable sailing and I hope that all those that were ill on this past sailing are feeling better real soon.

best regards,

seasidegal

Anybody know what's really going on or just how worried I should be? Don't want to be a sissy, but husband has stents... is 80! Seems stupid to walk into an outbreak on PURPOSE!? ADVICE? :eek::eek::eek:
Hi Blonde Artist,

I agree with every word that seasidegal has written above. Her post contains sensible advice, without over-reacting.

I was onboard QM2 (WB transatlantic last December) when there were some cases of noro onboard (refered to by bluemarble above). There were very sensible precautions taken by the crew, and everyone I saw (with a couple of exceptions*) understood the reasons why the buffet not self-serve for the first few days of the voyage, why the captain and senior officers didn't shake hands with passengers, and why there were no canape in the Queens Room or Commodore Club for the first half of the crossing.

I can honestly say that these precautions barely affected me and certainly didn't affect my enjoyment of the ship or voyage. I barely touched buttons in lifts, handrails etc.

I urge you not to over-worry, follow the sensible points raised by seasidegal (esp washing hands frequently), and have a great time! :) .

All best wishes to you, Bon Voyage! :)

(*the couple of exceptions were two guys I saw leave the "gents" without washing their hands :mad: )

Leaving in 48 hours (not even?) with my 80 year old husband. Norovirus... I'm REALLY WORRIED! Advice!? :eek::eek::eek:

Don't touch any door handles, handrails, switches in public areas. Use your arms and elbows.

Learn how to wash your hands properly. Most people do not do it right! Do not use the public restrooms at all.

Use any chance to desinfect your hands.

Then you are on the safe side.

In March of this year, boarding the Queen Elizabeth in Los Angelos was delayed about 90 minutes due to extra cleaning being done as there had been a norovirus outbreak on the ship. There was some confusion in the terminal as to the reason for the delay but I had received an email from Cunard a few days before informing me of the situation. Happy to tell you the problem was solved and no norovirus on my voyage. The usual precautions were taken the first few days to include being served in the lido by the crew which was surprisingly smooth and no long lines or delays. I believe other venues were shut down, like the Verrandah, so that those crew members could assist in the lido.

In March of this year, boarding the Queen Elizabeth in Los Angelos was delayed about 90 minutes due to extra cleaning being done as there had been a norovirus outbreak on the ship. There was some confusion in the terminal as to the reason for the delay but I had received an email from Cunard a few days before informing me of the situation. Happy to tell you the problem was solved and no norovirus on my voyage. The usual precautions were taken the first few days to include being served in the lido by the crew which was surprisingly smooth and no long lines or delays. I believe other venues were shut down, like the Verrandah, so that those crew members could assist in the lido.

Ship coming from other countries docking at their first US port are subject of an intense health inspection. If the carry Mr. Noro this inspection will be a nightmare and may result in serious delays.

I have been on QE in January 2012 coming from Panama to LA without Mr. Noro, but even then the crew was rather nervous expecting the inspection.

Gesendet von meinem Transformer TF101 mit Tapatalk 4

My wife and I will be boarding tomorrow in New York. My wife is a nurse and her reaction is that you can get noro in the supermarket or any number of other places in everyday life so no reason not to board. She also says frequent hand washing alone reduces the risk of getting noro by 90%.

So we will be washing our hands frequently and following all the other sound advice in the posts above. I will survive the absence of canapes in the Chart Room tomorrow evening. :D I'm sure also the crew are working overtime to disinfect and clean everything before we board. If that means a short boarding delay, that's not a problem.

We're leaving home this morning looking forward to a wonderful crossing on our favourite ship.

My niece picked up noro at home. Perhaps from the supermarket or wherever. Just try to be vigilant about hand washing.

A medic told me that passengers put the hand washing gel on their fingers and rub their hands together but generally do not rub it in effectively on their thumbs!

I read somewhere that the alcohol based anti bacterial gel that is readily available does not kill viruses (not sure if this is true). You can actually buy an anti-viral gel in some large chemists but it is quite expensive (but I think it leaves a coating on your hands for several hours).

Perhaps people rely on these gels a bit too much and don't feel the need to wash their hands as a consequence. As previously stated, frequent, thorough hand washing is the best bet.

Try not to worry. Enjoy your trip. :)

A medic told me that passengers put the hand washing gel on their fingers and rub their hands together but generally do not rub it in effectively on their thumbs!

The gel also doesn't kill noro. Soap does that.

I don't know why I should especially be the SME regarding nuts on board? :)

To be honest, I can't remember exactly what the nut situation is on board. My comment to Pushka was a just a general one regarding my distaste at the thought of eating from communal bowls.

I agree with you, I don't think it should be done.

As was my initial comment about the yuck factor. Couldn't image any ship serving communal nuts. Sometimes even the thought of hands in the buffet makes me ill. Have you ever watched what some people do?

The gel also doesn't kill noro. Soap does that.

As was my initial comment about the yuck factor. Couldn't image any ship serving communal nuts. Sometimes even the thought of hands in the buffet makes me ill. Have you ever watched what some people do?

As I was passing through Kings Court, I once saw a woman pick food from a bain-marie with her band hands.

Regarding the hand washing, I was told it's the vigorous hand washing, not especially the soap, that kills the germs.

I may be a bit dim but I don't really understand why canapes served in the bar areas should be affected by a noro outbreak.

They are delivered to your table and, if you don't eat them, presumably disposed of. What is the difference between serving canapes in a bar area or meals in the dining room?

This noro virus is clearly an awful, awful thing to go down with and we all can fully understand why folks are concerned about boarding a ship that has a number of passengers that have gone down with this ailment but me being me I just do not understand how this awful thing gets spread so readily.

Is it down to just one person bringing this condition aboard the ship at the start of a cruise or maybe getting infected during a port visit?

This picture shows a typical messdeck on a warship when I first joined the Royal Navy. The table where some sailors are sprawled over is not just a place where folks have their meals, it is the main recreational area where games are played food is eaten and many a drink consumed and no doubt spilled, at night these tables were lowered and men would sleep on them!

Food was collected from a galley, at first in bulk but in my time the sailors would queue at the galley and take their meals back to their mess. The plates are washed in a communal bucket where the water and it was just water with no detergent, starts out hot, but by the end of the meal this water is at best just tepid and terribly greasy. :eek::o

Toilets were quite basic and there were definitely no sinks where folks could wash their hands after using 'the facilities' and yet no noro virus or any other tummy bug, although it would be wrong to say that no one ever had an upset tummy, but it is correct to say that there was never a problem with a number of men being effected.

TheCrew-1_zps8d792405.jpg

That picture shows the greater part of an area where approximately 24 men lived and I can NEVER recall anything like this norovirius. Sailors during my time were an extremely fit bunch of characters that worked hard and played hard and whilst personal cleanliness was a major requirement, it certainly was not a 'cleanliness' like we are discussing where hands were washed so often.

A loaf of bread would be cut with one knife, if the butter did not melt there would be one knife that everyone would share for spreading that butter and at tot time it was a regular sight for the afternoon watch-keeper to share his rum ration out to his fellow messmates who would all drink from the same glass! :) I think hygiene was two words a sailor would use when calling out to a lady called Jean ;):) (humour)

How does this noro virus spread so quickly and yet it was unheard of in those possibly unhygienic conditions? I am NOT poo hooing the excellent advice being offered and I will certainly strictly adhere to all that is asked of us, I am simply curious about this awful condition and how it is so contagious.

Blonde Artist

You are only human. You clearly love your wonderful husband and I would also be concerned but....

What will be, will be. Carry out these procedures that folks have very kindly recommended and then ENJOY this cruise. What will be, will be. Far better to go on this cruise and take the very small risk, rather than stay at home and wonder about 'what if'

This noro virus is clearly an awful, awful thing to go down with and we all can fully understand why folks are concerned about boarding a ship that has a number of passengers that have gone down with this ailment but me being me I just do not understand how this awful thing gets spread so readily.

Is it down to just one person bringing this condition aboard the ship at the start of a cruise or maybe getting infected during a port visit?

This picture shows a typical messdeck on a warship when I first joined the Royal Navy. The table where some sailors are sprawled over is not just a place where folks have their meals, it is the main recreational area where games are played food is eaten and many a drink consumed and no doubt spilled, at night these tables were lowered and men would sleep on them!

Food was collected from a galley, at first in bulk but in my time the sailors would queue at the galley and take their meals back to their mess. The plates are washed in a communal bucket where the water and it was just water with no detergent, starts out hot, but by the end of the meal this water is at best just tepid and terribly greasy. :eek::o

Toilets were quite basic and there were definitely no sinks where folks could wash their hands after using 'the facilities' and yet no noro virus or any other tummy bug, although it would be wrong to say that no one ever had an upset tummy, but it is correct to say that there was never a problem with a number of men being effected.

TheCrew-1_zps8d792405.jpg

That picture shows the greater part of an area where approximately 24 men lived and I can NEVER recall anything like this norovirius. Sailors during my time were an extremely fit bunch of characters that worked hard and played hard and whilst personal cleanliness was a major requirement, it certainly was not a 'cleanliness' like we are discussing where hands were washed so often.

A loaf of bread would be cut with one knife, if the butter did not melt there would be one knife that everyone would share for spreading that butter and at tot time it was a regular sight for the afternoon watch-keeper to share his rum ration out to his fellow messmates who would all drink from the same glass! :) I think hygiene was two words a sailor would use when calling out to a lady called Jean ;):) (humour)

How does this noro virus spread so quickly and yet it was unheard of in those possibly unhygienic conditions? I am NOT poo hooing the excellent advice being offered and I will certainly strictly adhere to all that is asked of us, I am simply curious about this awful condition and how it is so contagious.

Blonde Artist

You are only human. You clearly love your wonderful husband and I would also be concerned but....

What will be, will be. Carry out these procedures that folks have very kindly recommended and then ENJOY this cruise. What will be, will be. Far better to go on this cruise and take the very small risk, rather than stay at home and wonder about 'what if'

That's a good post, thanks for sharing the photo too!

The gel also doesn't kill noro. Soap does

I was told it's the vigorous hand washing, not especially the soap, that kills the germs.

From all that has been posted on this forum, Soap seems just as ineffective as Gel, With only certain Bleaches or Extremely (beyond what would be safe to put your hands in) Hot Water capable of actually killing Noro. but the act of proper hand washing, dislodges the Virus and flushes it down the sink.

One of the biggest failures by any cruise line when dealing with an outbreak of noro is the handling of your stateroom card. Drinks servers handle it (dont forget to carry your own pen to sign for drinks). Security staff handle it when you get on or off the ship. They're touching your card as well as countless other peoples cards. Surely this has to be the biggest transmitter of infections! Wash your card as well as your hands.

A bit over the top? Perhaps....but once you've contracted noro once, you'll do all you can to never experience it again.

Having said that... happy sailing :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

Archived