Norovirus Outbreak on QM2

pke-atlanta

My parents are traveling on the QM2 currently (NY roundtrip sailing to New Wngland and Canada). I heard from my mother today that a norovirus outbreak has been announced, and they are taking all precautions. The spa staff are wearing gloves to wash hair, they're encouraging passengers use damp paper towels to open public doors, extra staff are offering hand sanitizer, etc. It sounds like Cunard are doing what they can to limit exposure. They're asking for those infected to stay in their rooms and even had a doctor onboard do a travel health presentation to discuss ways passengers can protect themselves.

Has anyone else heard about this yet? Or is there anyone currently onboard posting from the ship to CC that can update us on the situation?

My parents are traveling on the QM2 currently (NY roundtrip sailing to New Wngland and Canada). I heard from my mother today that a norovirus outbreak has been announced, and they are taking all precautions. The spa staff are wearing gloves to wash hair, they're encouraging passengers use damp paper towels to open public doors, extra staff are offering hand sanitizer, etc. It sounds like Cunard are doing what they can to limit exposure. They're asking for those infected to stay in their rooms and even had a doctor onboard do a travel health presentation to discuss ways passengers can protect themselves.

Has anyone else heard about this yet? Or is there anyone currently onboard posting from the ship to CC that can update us on the situation?

Only a handful of cases recently but all measures are in place and the Captain reports that the situation is well under control. So, vast majority of passengers are unaffected.

Only a handful of cases recently but all measures are in place and the Captain reports that the situation is well under control. So, vast majority of passengers are unaffected.
Except that bowls of nuts and chips/crisps will have disappeared from the bars, self-service in Kings Court will have been replaced by latex gloved waiters with tongs, and the trays of crystalized ginger at the restaurant entry ways will have gone.

I have no information on the number of passengers or crew suffering from gastro-intestional illness. But I can tell you that the World Club Party scheduled for tonight (16 Sept) was cancelled this afternoon "due to an increase in gastrointestional illness". The crew is working extra hours, doing their best to contain the situation. -S.

That's pretty gross isn't it. I'm not sure I'd dip into a bowl of nuts when all onboard were healthy!

You get your own personal Crisps, olives and nuts if you ask the nuts also are served with a spoon,

No canapés then in the Commodore Club with norovirus about ?

I have no information on the number of passengers or crew suffering from gastro-intestional illness. But I can tell you that the World Club Party scheduled for tonight (16 Sept) was cancelled this afternoon "due to an increase in gastrointestional illness". The crew is working extra hours, doing their best to contain the situation. -S.

Yes, Mom mentioned the World Club reception had been cancelled. She was disappointed with that, but I'm glad the staff are being so careful and diligent to limit exposure and to keep passengers healthy.

On our recent QE trip to Norway we noticed that the tv channel promoting safety & cleanliness stated that those infected must use separate laundry (v wise idea) and 'complimentary' room service.....errr, I thought it was already! Not you'd want it if you were ill of course!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

On our recent QE trip to Norway we noticed that the tv channel promoting safety & cleanliness stated that those infected must use separate laundry (v wise idea) and 'complimentary' room service.....errr, I thought it was already! Not you'd want it if you were ill of course!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's like when a bank closes the branch right next door to you and advises you that "for your convenience you can use the Branch a few kilometres away (and which has always been open).

Hope it settles soon.

Same. The thought of eating some nuts after every Tom, Dick & Harry has pawed their way through the communal bowl is less than appetising.

My partner did a Nepal trek a couple of years ago. One of the girls arrived quite unwell. No details needed. The next day she joined the others at lunch and helped herself to a bowl of communal chips. Needless to say...

Same. The thought of eating some nuts after every Tom, Dick & Harry has pawed their way through the communal bowl is less than appetising.

I believe they've done cultures on the chip and nut bowls in pubs and discovered they were more virulent than the toilets! I never touch them.

Whitemarsh You should know that Cunard do not have Communal bowls of Nuts in their bars. You are given individual portions when asked for, which are presented in a bowl on a plate with a spoon to serve. For that very reason. When you leave your table or bar stool the any remainder in the bowls are thrown away.

If some passengers are that uncouth that they put their hands into the bowls then its there own fault they are ill.

Whitemarsh You should know that Cunard do not have Communal bowls of Nuts in their bars. You are given individual portions when asked for, which are presented in a bowl on a plate with a spoon to serve. For that very reason. When you leave your table or bar stool the any remainder in the bowls are thrown away.

If some passengers are that uncouth that they put their hands into the bowls then its there own fault they are ill.

I don't know why I should especially be the SME regarding nuts on board? :)

To be honest, I can't remember exactly what the nut situation is on board. My comment to Pushka was a just a general one regarding my distaste at the thought of eating from communal bowls.

I agree with you, I don't think it should be done.

Any update on the extent of the norovirus from anyone onboard or in contact with those onboard? Has it halted and those affected recovered? Did it affect many people on board?

Code Red still in effect. Captain said yesterday at his noon announcement that new cases of gastro-intestional illness are still being reported. No details are being given regarding how many passengers and crew members have been/are sick.

Thanks all for your good wishes.

Regards,

Salacia

Archived