For my amusement (and maybe yours)

shrimp56

My pre-HAL ships. Approximate dates are in my signature.

pre-HAL_zpscaa48984.jpg

Worthy of note: The younger sister to the Royal Viking Sea, which was the Royal Viking Sun is now HAL's beloved Prinsendam.

And the Paquet Rhapsody was the former Statendam II. So I actually "sailed" HAL before I actually did. She still had her beautiful blue, green and gold mosaic indoor pool.

Thanks for your kind comments.

I agree ships have "come a long way," but I still remember our Orpheus cabin at the bow with curved walls, and our non-cookie-cutter stateroom on the Rhapsody which still had its Indonesian batik curtains, and not to forget, the small Dolphin IV which we enjoyed thoroughly.

The only ship I don't have fond memories of was NCL Skyward. Teeny cabin, and totally inane entertainment including how many ping pong balls female passengers could stuff in their bikinis while treading water in the pool. I was cruising with a girlfriend and our morning ritual was to check the schedule then go to the other end of the ship from any activity LOL. Although the horse racing was a blast.

Thanks for your kind comments.

I agree ships have "come a long way," but I still remember our Orpheus cabin at the bow with curved walls, and our non-cookie-cutter stateroom on the Rhapsody which still had its Indonesian batik curtains, and not to forget, the small Dolphin IV which we enjoyed thoroughly.

The only ship I don't have fond memories of was NCL Skyward. Teeny cabin, and totally inane entertainment including how many ping pong balls female passengers could stuff in their bikinis while treading water in the pool. I was cruising with a girlfriend and our morning ritual was to check the schedule then go to the other end of the ship from any activity LOL. Although the horse racing was a blast.

Love it.

The Horse Racing was great!!

And we had paper sheets for Bingo -- $1 for 5 games -- used a pencil to circle your numbers.

Thanks for the pics. I have fond memories of the Royal Viking Sea; the picture looks "right" to me.

But I never would have recognized the old Statendam---maybe because it's too long ago? She was my first ship so very, very long ago.

Thanks for the pictures. Drug out our old photos of our first ship, Sitmar's Fair Wind. Similar ship design. Yes, we participated in the horse races and every other crazy game they offered. That cruise hooked us on cruising, and we're always anticipating the next cruise as we look back fondly to the ones we've enjoyed.

Thanks for the pics. I have fond memories of the Royal Viking Sea; the picture looks "right" to me.

But I never would have recognized the old Statendam---maybe because it's too long ago? She was my first ship so very, very long ago.

I agree with you Ruth, I don't recognize the picture of the Rhapsody as the old Statendam. I googled the Rhapsody and came up with pictures of the Statendam (as we remember it) and the Rhapsody. That Rhapsody isn't the same ship as the post card picture the OP posted. BTW, we sailed the Statendam in 1973. The only other ship we sailed in the OP's gallery was the Skyward.

I agree with you Ruth, I don't recognize the picture of the Rhapsody as the old Statendam. I googled the Rhapsody and came up with pictures of the Statendam (as we remember it) and the Rhapsody. That Rhapsody isn't the same ship as the post card picture the OP posted. BTW, we sailed the Statendam in 1973. The only other ship we sailed in the OP's gallery was the Skyward.

You are absolutely right. I've corrected the photo.

pre-HAL_zpsf46e4cdb.jpg

Archived