Northern Lights

rosepark

Has anyone on a Canada/ New England voyage at this time of year been lucky enough to see the Northern Lights? I know they are very much atmospheric and cloud dependent but it would be such a wonderful bonus to see them.

If you have seen them whilst on board, has any prior warning been given and have any special arrangements been made to turn down the ship's lights for a while so that the display can be seen more clearly?

Rp - who is thinking that she might just have to stay up all night, every night on deck on the off-chance of getting a glimpse. Do you think our steward would bring my bed up there for me??

We saw the lights on our recent Canadian arctic/Greenland cruise. An announcement was made each night that the crew thought they were worth getting out of bed for. Once up on deck the ship lights were turned of and the display was fantastic!

----------------------

Helen

Were you on a "normal" ship, Helen or on the Explorer? And How's, it seems that there can be sightings in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, so I am getting a bit over excited now. Wouldn't it be fab?

Rp

Believe it or not I saw them many years ago -- duh yes MANY years -- as a child -- one summer night out on the lawn of our house in a very small town in the Midwest. No city lights to interfere -- I remember vividly something that was unusual and never seen (by me) before but explained as THE NORTHERN LIGHTS by my parents. They were not as spectacular as has been posted from the Explorer, but wonderful.

Helen and I saw them on explorer, but we were way further north than what you will be on the regular canada cruise. I did NOT see them last year on our canada fall trip, but it was cloudy almost every night. And I have not seen them at our ranch in BC, but we only go there in summer.

Yes we also saw them from the Explorer on our Reykjavik to Churchill cruise but also saw them in Jasper,Alberta-not nearly as good though as the show on the Explorer.

This year is predicted to be a good year for viewing.I was lucky earlier to see the Southern lights from a plane heading to Tasmania-extremely unusual that far north.

Were you on a "normal" ship, Helen or on the Explorer? And How's, it seems that there can be sightings in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, so I am getting a bit over excited now. Wouldn't it be fab?

Rp

It certainly would be fab !!!!!!!! I am very excited, if it happens it will be a wonderful bonus, if not, we will not be disappointed.

Are you on the Oct 19 cruise Rose?

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It certainly would be fab !!!!!!!! I am very excited' date=' if it happens it will be a wonderful bonus, if not, we will not be disappointed.

Are you on the Oct 19 cruise Rose?

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app[/quote']

I am on the 28th September one, Chris, so 8 days to go now. Do you still need me to unscrew a few bits and pieces round the ship to keep your husband happy or have you finally persuaded him to leave his toolkit behind?

Rp

I am on the 28th September one, Chris, so 8 days to go now. Do you still need me to unscrew a few bits and pieces round the ship to keep your husband happy or have you finally persuaded him to leave his toolkit behind?

Rp

Have finally persuaded him to leave it at home, but I am sure he will spot something............

Let me know how your trip goes, I am very interested in what the colour is like for your cruise. We dont have the beautiful fall colours where we live like you do over there, so we are anticipating a spectacular show.

Chris

Have finally persuaded him to leave it at home' date=' but I am sure he will spot something............

Let me know how your trip goes, I am very interested in what the colour is like for your cruise. We dont have the beautiful fall colours where we live like you do over there, so we are anticipating a spectacular show.

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app[/quote']

I think you might get a better display than will we, as I fear our cruise might possibly be that bit too early. But if I get a chance to do so, I will let you know, en route, how the colours are going.

Rp

I think you might get a better display than will we, as I fear our cruise might possibly be that bit too early. But if I get a chance to do so, I will let you know, en route, how the colours are going.

Rp

Thank you Rose,

That would be lovely

Chris

There is a slim change you may get to see the Northern Lights. A few years ago I saw them from a cruise ship in BC. You can sometimes see them in Ontario & Quebec. Usually it's VERY late at night when they are seen, you really want to be away from any light source.

I believe the fall colours are a bit late this year. They usually peak in the Quebec City area around early October.

• 3 weeks later...

We saw the northern lights twice on our 12 night cruise to Canadian arctic and Greenland; once on August 26th and then again on our last night September 7th. Both times it was about 10:45 PM and somebody made an announcement ship wide. They turned off the high spotlight from the bow and some of the stern and running lights. They were like green fire at first low in the sky and then streaking brightly directly overhead. if you google Northern lights, Canada forecast there is a website the shows the northern light' doughnut shape over and around the Arctic circle. You can spot your location and see if the "ring"will be overhead that evening. It rates the probability and intensity of the lights over the coming couple of days. While it is accurate, if cloud cover moves in, you won't see the lights through the clouds. while in Aptock, I asked a teenage girl if people get excited when the display is extreme and she said it happens so frequently that it's hardly noticed.

• 5 weeks later...