Roll Calls...the Good, Bad and the Ugly

Smiles3usa

I wonder if Cruise Critic could figure out a way to separate the wheat from the chaff. It would be nice instead of picking the icon below the reply thread we could choose between cruise-related (the wheat) or chit-chat (weather, football, how-many-days-til-we-sail, etc - the chaff). And then Cruise Critic have to allow us a mode to ignore the chaff.

I don't mind the chit-chat when I'm in that mood, but when I'm planning excursions or pre-cruise hotels, etc., or when I sign on to a roll call two months before the cruise, I would love to remove the chaff - especially if it is a long roll.

Well, I'm lucky enough to be part of a fabulous roll-call. We have over four months to go, and we're already up to nearly 140 pages, on our thread! :D

This was an unusual, last-minute itinerary offering by X, and there was a lot of initial confusion about rates, cabin availability, etc. Fortunately, we have many experienced cruisers, and everyone stepped up to help each other through the booking maze. And, since we still don't have any X shore excursions listed, our r/c'ers are sharing port info, and starting to set up some outings, on their own. Many of us are doing b2bs, and we have some wonderful, infinitely patient, folks keeping roll-call charts and lists -- so, we know who's going to be where, and when (more challenging than it sounds).

I'll admit that all those pages can be a little daunting to get through. Truth be told, not every single post is strictly cruise-related. We do occasionally talk about the weather, and even .... gasp .... football ;)! But, I've been on that thread from the beginning -- and I've never seen anyone turned away, or their questions ignored. And, fortunately, we have none of those "my way or the highway" organizers to boss us around, either. :eek:

So, if our gargantuan roll-call thread is any indicator, I think this is going to be a great cruise! :cool:

I agree! All my best cruises have had very active roll calls. If you hate the chit chat, just ignore it. It definitely helps to have been involved since the beginning. :)

Arno, never realized you could turn off your signature for just that particular post. See, even old dogs can learn new things on Cruise Critic. :D

I like roll calls that have a lot of information about the cruise, ports, and that have good private excursions that can be joined, if wanted.

I am not too fond of the ones that are mostly chatting between a few members, often about completely non-cruise related items. It's difficult to wade through all the chit-chat to find information that is actually useful for the cruise.

I'm not a small-talk kind of person in real life, either, so that probably colors my opinion.

My opinion is that moderators of the roll calls don't step in enough to stop the extra chit chat. I join roll calls for information on the cruise I will be on, not for catching up with past cruisers and all the facebook like posts between members. Signed up to past roll calls and found excellent info on excursions, joined a few and tried for latest cruise this time to come up with chit chat to the extent of 1500 posts with about 10 useful for planning. Nice to get to know people but info more important that personalities, but that is my problem.

Arno, never realized you could turn off your signature for just that particular post. See, even old dogs can learn new things on Cruise Critic. :D

There are no new dogs on CC... and all of us constantly learn from fellow posters. The young never pay attention to advice.. until they have learned the hard way... ;)

I was on a roll call where a very frequent Celebrity cruiser complained vociferously about the "idle chit chat" and "admonished" posters to stick to cruise related posts.

One of the Cruise Critic hosts almost immediately posted on the thread (how they knew about this incident I have no idea) and essentially told the poster that the roll call is just as important a vehicle to "get to know one another" as it is for exchanging cruise related info, and if he didn't like the chit chat to skip over it!

So roll calls are NOT expressly to post cruise related information. Post as much or as little as you want. If a post doesn't interest you when you start to read it, skip over it. I enjoy chit chat but OTOH I don't necessarily enjoy every post by every poster so I do use common sense and read what I am interested in.

I was on a roll call where a very frequent Celebrity cruiser complained vociferously about the "idle chit chat" and "admonished" posters to stick to cruise related posts.

Some people are good at idle gossip and just shooting the breeze while others think that Cruise Critic is actually about cruising topics. Just because one disagrees with the direction the topics have have gone doesn't mean the poster is wrong.

The truth is somewhere in the middle and a host who is a chatter type might take exception whereas a different one might agree. The nice thing about roll calls is that if you don't like the one you're on you become a lurker and press the imaginary roll-eyes smilie.

So roll calls are NOT expressly to post cruise related information. Post as much or as little as you want. If a post doesn't interest you when you start to read it, skip over it. I enjoy chit chat but OTOH I don't necessarily enjoy every post by every poster so I do use common sense and read what I am interested in.

Bighair,

You always have some "common sense" posts. Thanks for posting. :)

Some roll calls take on a life of their own, some are stillborn.

I am on one where certain people were considering having their children and grandchildren hook up at the Meet & Mingle.

My favorites are those involving former fellow cruisers. We don't bother with too many excursions any more but those planned by people you know is a great feature of roll calls. I am extremely dubious of first time posters arranging trips.

Some roll calls involve a lot of chatter, some about pets and all their ailments, some about personal tragedies, some about their offspring and a lot about favorite sports.

One learns to get as involved as much as their personal comfort level.

Could you really have not found a better word for a roll call that's not active than stillborn? :(

I do wish that there were a better way to organize a roll call. Right now everything is linear and you pretty much have to read from post #1 to see who's organizing a tour, how many seats are open, etc. I'd like to see either sub-forums for tour organizing, port information, etc or wiki-type pages that can be updated as needed. That way the roll call is there for conversation for those that want it and a source of organized information for everyone else.

Some roll calls have created their own web pages to help keep track of this kind of information. I just joined a roll call that needed some help keeping track of information. Since I have some background in maintaining a web site, I said I could help. After some investigation, I discovered a few other roll calls that have created web pages as a way to organize.

One of the Cruise Critic hosts almost immediately posted on the thread (how they knew about this incident I have no idea) and essentially told the poster that the roll call is just as important a vehicle to "get to know one another" as it is for exchanging cruise related info, and if he didn't like the chit chat to skip over it!

Hi, BH Texan (BTW -- LOVE your posts)! :D

I think you're referring to a post by our very own Host Andy, who was citing this quote from the CruiseCritic Community Guidelines:

- ROLL CALLS are for people to get to know one another before their cruise; therefore, there will be all kinds of discussion!

Edited by wwcruisers

Some roll calls have created their own web pages to help keep track of this kind of information.

I was on a roll call that had a fabulous website. This lady created such a great site, with links to everything from weather, ports, history, tours, transfers, photos, chat page, etc. It was accessed by a password (sent via e-mail only, and not posted on CC). It was really a hit and completely voluntary in nature. The large group really "jelled" both before, during, and after, the cruise. :)

YES WW (and thx for the kind words). That's exactly what it was that the host(ess) quoted and politely (no sarcasm intended here) suggested that the poster just skip over.

I think probably most of us do skip over certain posts or complete threads, or certain posters. Ahhh the opportunity to exercise choice!

I enjoy the valuable information I find on roll calls, especially information on ports and planned tours. We have had the opportunity to take many wonderful tours because of those special people who take the time to arrange small group tours and make them available to others.

Roll calls have been very helpful and informative to me when it comes to European cruising. I have been fortunate to connect with other cruisers who have hosted excursions saving us lots of money.

I do not like to scan countless postings from a few individuals with inside jokes and personal agendas. No one really finds these conversations cute or funny except for the few of you who they are meant for. Please knock it off.

Thanks in advance:D

Well lordy, lordy shame on me! Guess we all need a little lesson on some southern etiquette :rolleyes:

I love being part of a roll call before a long awaited cruise, it gives time to be excited with others, share so much useful information, and I too feel a good roll call indicates a good cruise ahead! I have made some wonderful friends through the roll calls, and am probably guilty of the chit chat thing.

I cannot imagine doing a cruise, and not having a roll call actually! The horror! :D

Completely agree with this.

Could you really have not found a better word for a roll call that's not active than stillborn? :(

Debbie - I think Cruisenut didn't want to use "dead in the water" :D and I'm sure didn't realize that it could be a sensitive term.

Beth

IMHO, the Roll Calls are all chit chat, be it about the cruise or life, just like a table for 8 in the MDR. My Wifester say's eye's is one of the chatters:D

We have a great roll call! And the "chatter" is what makes it interesting, IMHO. Can't please everyone all the time.

I'm one of those who likes to chat on roll calls, and get to know fellow cruisers. Our Adriatic cruise roll call resulted in friends that I still communicate with. These folks were very supportive when I was having a particularly bad week and reached out for some support. Louise1809 (above) was a strong contributor to that cruise. When you are traveling alone, it is comforting to find you recognize people in port because you've met them on the roll call. For those who are more reserved, that is fine, please don't begrudge us our collegiality though.

We did organize a lot of it off line and rather than using a website, used dropbox to provide additional information such as tours being organized, personal photos and other info that folks might not want to put in a public forum. Organizing the roll call in the way we did, allowed those who merely wanted information on shared excursions, to skip to that section of the files and read.

One solution might be to put "Cruise or Transfer or Tour info" in the Title, then those who don't like to chat could search for the posts that were critical to them.

I firmly believe that roll calls should be more than one thing - chat room for some of us, source of travel info for others. If I'm going totally off topic, I tend to communicate via e-mail, but not everyone is willing to share their e-mail because of the risk of spam resulting from the public aspect of the forums and I just skip past posts that don't apply to me. What's more if you subscribe to the roll call so you get an e-mail, you can keep up and just delete the messages that are irrelevant to you.

I'm trying to remember to remove my signature when I post a second post - like now. Thanks for the advice. I also hate it when someone quotes a lengthy post - but I suspect that they just didn't realize they could edit inside the brackets. It took me a while to figure out and I'm pretty computer savvy.

Happy Travels,

Beth