Breakaway review from someone who has only sailed with RCCL

klitch

I have never before sailed with NCL, so this review will be as much about the Breakaway as it is about the differences I found between NCL and RCCL.

The Food 7.5

Having always sailed with RCCL eating when we wanted to was a new thing and I guess to ease ourselves in we decided to try all of the specialty restaurants while we were on board, so we made reservations every night.

On the first night we ate at La Cucina and it was absolutely delicious, if we sail with NCL again we will definitely go back.

On night two we went to the Cirque Dreams dinner show, that was a mistake. The show itself was goodish but the food was pretty bad. It’s a set menu of Surf and Turf (filet and shrimp), which when you read that on the menu you’re thinking, well they can’t mess that up. Unfortunately they did, the filet was overcooked, and under seasoned, making for a terribly dry meal. The shrimp was actually pretty good, however they only served two per plate. I did write a comment card that was provided at the end of the meal and to their credit NCL responded quickly and offered us a free bottle of wine the next night for dinner.

Ocean Blue was our third night, my wife and I ate there with a couple we travelled with and 3 out of 4 of us agreed that everything was over salted close to the point of being inedible. One of our party sent his meal back and again to their credit NCL responded quickly and gave him $25 off of his meal. Suffice to say though we were not impressed and probably wouldn’t go back and would probably tell others to not go especially because of the lofty price tag.

On the fourth night we ate at Le Bistro, which was delicious, the roast duck was cooked to perfection, I could have done without the confit but the other preparation was so delicious and well prepared that it made up for it.

The next night was Teppanyaki, and although our chef was a trainee and his “performance” wasn’t nearly as good as some of the others going around near us, the food was better than any hibachi we had ever been to. That is no small feat as we go to hibachi once every month or so. The only knock I would say is that they didn’t serve noodles with the meal, only rice, but that was definitely not a deal breaker for anyone we ate with.

At Cagneys everything was impeccable, there is not a single thing I could say bad about it.

Churrascaria was good, we had eaten at similar restaurants locally so we knew what we in store for, it wasn’t the best or worst of that genre we had eaten at.

We only ever got to The Haven restaurant for breakfast and late afternoon snacks, but all of it was good, the hollandaise for the eggs benedict was a little too lemony but that was a small issue and a matter of how you like it I suppose.

The Noodle Bar was great, better than any I have ever been too, wish I had tried it earlier than our last day, I would have gone back.

The Raw Bar was equally as delicious, and is definitely something I would do again.

The uptown bar and grill was good and nice for an afternoon, or midmorning snack.

O’Sheehans food was a really nice change but I was a little disappointed that the Corned Beef Hash was not available 24 hours as I had read on here, I was also a little disappointed at the portion size that I finally had of it at breakfast.

We didn’t get to any of the buffets or the main dining rooms unfortunately so I can’t tell you if they were any good.

The Haven 5.5

I have mixed feelings about The Haven, and I’m still not sure that it’s worth the extra money. It is gorgeously appointed and unfortunately it was also almost always empty, which is good and bad. Good in the sense that it could genuinely be a “haven” to get away from the loudness of being on deck but also bad that there was hardly ever anyone at the bar or in the pool. I like to talk to people and find out what they think about the boat and such, I couldn’t do that in the haven. The best part about the Haven is that it afforded us the opportunity for special boarding privileges; we were basically on the boat within 10 minutes of arriving to the port. However The Haven was definitely a step up from the concierge club that I am used to being in on RCCL ships (except that booze is free in the concierge club). Oh if you’re in the haven do yourself a favor and order an Oak colada, it’s delicious and they seem to be the only bar that can make it properly.

The Room 8.5

We were in a Haven Spa Suite and it was really nice and spacious you wouldn’t be bumping into one another, each afternoon our butler brought some sort of treat, petit-fors some days, small sandwiches on others. The bed was comfy, and my wife used the in room tub basically every day. The only thing I would have done differently is swap the tub and table/chairs to opposite sides of the room so that if you have guests or are eating you could watch whats on the television. The balconies seem to be getting a lot of heat for being too small, but I think they were fine, I’m not sure what people did on the balcony that it needed to be bigger.

The People 10

Everyone who served us was very, very helpful. I don’t think I can conjure enough adjectives to describe how good the entire staff was, which is a stark contrast to my latest experience with RCCL. So again kudos to NCL and the staff of the breakaway

The Activities 9

There was a lot to do on this boat and we did as much as we could. The ropes course was a blast (I did it twice). The running track was kind of oddly placed and small, if it wasn’t by a restaurant I don’t think the size would have mattered, oh and it also got wet from the waterslides above it making some of the turns slightly precarious. The freefall waterslides were an absolute blast. We only saw one show (cirque dreams) and if it were forty-five minutes to an hour long it would have been perfect, but an hour and a half was too much. It started getting rather repetitive, the acts themselves were different yes, but it was all very similar. The gym was exceptionally busy, my wife and I thought we’d be the only people in there most days, how wrong we were, it was absolutely packed.

Overall 8

We had a blast and would definitely sail with NCL again. The differences we found between NCL and RCCL were very slight at the most. The biggest difference being that dining aboard RCCL is more of a nightly event than it was on NCL or at least on the Breakaway. I’m sure there are things that I forgot so if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

That peace and quiet in the haven sounds Devine to me we have spent to many years in the crowded main pool decks . I notice you did not mention the main dining rooms we think they are a pleasure to dine in whenever we sail Ncl we prefer the free style glad you enjoyed your trip:)

Thank you for the review as I am considering a Haven Spa Suite as well. What did you think of the Thermal Spa? My DH adores the heated tile beds, and loves the idea of an in-room hot tub.

Personally, I love the idea of the Haven being deserted. :) Just wish it was adult only as well as I have heard that on some sailings families (i.e. kids) pretty much take it over.

Thank you for the review as I am considering a Haven Spa Suite as well. What did you think of the Thermal Spa? My DH adores the heated tile beds, and loves the idea of an in-room hot tub.

Personally, I love the idea of the Haven being deserted. :) Just wish it was adult only as well as I have heard that on some sailings families (i.e. kids) pretty much take it over.

My wife loved the thermal spa, especially the salt room, she has trouble sleeping and really thinks the salt room helped. I went there once and it was nice to have all of those things at your disposable every day.

There was one family that basically used the haven as there personal pool (two kids runnin around with beach balls and such) a couple of days so it wasnt terrible, but i know what you mean

Question: like you, I imagine I'll eat largely in the specialty restaurants. So I'm curious... At the end of the week, about how much would you guess you spent, per person, on food? (Not including drinks... That'll be my big expense! Lol)

Thanks in advance!

Richard/Tralfie

Question: like you, I imagine I'll eat largely in the specialty restaurants. So I'm curious... At the end of the week, about how much would you guess you spent, per person, on food? (Not including drinks... That'll be my big expense! Lol)

Thanks in advance!

Richard/Tralfie

It was about 150 pp for the whole week.not really so bad, especially when you think that a third of that came from one restaurant (ocean blue)

Thanks for your review. My SO and I mostly sail with Royal, but we did dip our toe into NCL from time to time and did the Breakaway earlier this year. We found the food to be very good, especially since my wife is celiac and they have to be careful with her meals.

It was about 150 pp for the whole week.not really so bad, especially when you think that a third of that came from one restaurant (ocean blue)

Yeah, that,s not bad at all especially since I don't really have any interest in Ocean Blue!

Richard/tralfie

The People 10

Everyone who served us was very, very helpful. I don’t think I can conjure enough adjectives to describe how good the entire staff was, which is a stark contrast to my latest experience with RCCL. So again kudos to NCL and the staff of the breakaway

THIS is why we favor NCL at this point in time.

The Crew.

They are what keeps us coming back. They are a notch above other lines. :D

Tks for sharing your experience! I've never been on Royal but it's fun to read comparisons, good or bad.

When I saw "7.5" for the food, I was fearing the worst. But your comments are all quite glowing other than Ocean Blue really.

In case you go on NCL again and repeat Teppanyaki, they do have a "yakisoba" on the menu which is noodle based. I bet if you had a word with the Maitre d' in advance, they might be able to prepare a small dish for you.

We hadn't been to Teppanyaki for awhile so last cruise decided to go back. Had a really great meal as well as entertaining chef. I love the garlic fried rice and the filet with extra garlic.;)

Did you eat outside at any of the venues? We're thinking La Cucina might be a good choice one of the nights we're on our Caribbean cruise.

Sounds like NCL was quick to respond to the few issues you did have. Glad to hear that the crew gets a "10" in your book!:D:D

Tks for sharing your experience! I've never been on Royal but it's fun to read comparisons' date=' good or bad.

When I saw "7.5" for the food, I was fearing the worst. But your comments are all quite glowing other than Ocean Blue really.

In case you go on NCL again and repeat Teppanyaki, they do have a "yakisoba" on the menu which is noodle based. I bet if you had a word with the Maitre d' in advance, they might be able to prepare a small dish for you.

We hadn't been to Teppanyaki for awhile so last cruise decided to go back. Had a really great meal as well as entertaining chef. I love the garlic fried rice and the filet with extra garlic.;)

Did you eat outside at any of the venues? We're thinking La Cucina might be a good choice one of the nights we're on our Caribbean cruise.

Sounds like NCL was quick to respond to the few issues you did have. Glad to hear that the crew gets a "10" in your book!:D:D[/quote']

The 7.5 also included the bad surf and turf at the cirque dreams show.

We did not eat outside (my wife doesn't like eating outside) except at the uptown grill, but that's not really the outside you mean i think.

Archived