Those Returning from Brilliance NE today - please tell all!

Beach4me

Pineapple creatures in the Lido buffetB_Ship_Food2.JPG

And HUGE Boston Cream Pie!!!

B_Ship_Food3.JPG

We loved specious buffet with many areas

B_Ship_Food6.JPG

Rita's Cantina is open for breakfast and lunch

B_Ship_Food11.JPG

B_Ship_Food13.JPG

B_Ship_Food12.JPG

Arcadia really was the only thing that was impacted by the Government Shutdown.

The only thing updated in the cabins that I could tell was the new flat screen TV's. Overall the ship was very nice.

The Centrum is very nice. However when the aerial shows perform it's very crowded. You really have to claim a space by the one of the railing at last 45- 60 minutes before the show.

The woman performing in the Schooner bar is fabulous!

I don't usually spend much time thinking about the cruise director and generally can't remember their name. However this cruise the CD did make several appearances at functions that the group I was traveling with held and didn't find him to be all that great. His name was Steve don't remember last night. The Activities Director - Thomas who just transferred from the Navigator IMHO would have been a better choice for cruise director.

This cruise was the first time I went to a Specialty Restaurant - Izumi and it was very good. A tip - if you like sushi than go to the Sushi Demonstration in the Centrum. After the demo you're invited to sample what was prepared. Most people did not participate. Having been at Izumi the night before the sushi chef remembered me and told me to take as much as I wanted as it would only be thrown out. I basically ate lunch. What I ate probably would have cost $30 or more in the restaurant.

Throughout the day the musical entertainment in the Centrum "R" bar was generally very good.

There were several parties held in the Centrum such as 70's night. It gets really crowded so if you are not attending the party suggest you use the forward elevators at that time.

The Park Café in the Solarium was my overall favorite. Never was crowded and in my opinion was the best kept secret of the ship.

Rita's Cantina is only open in the evening. Personally never saw anyone in there so don't think this will last. Been to Rita's on the Allure and found it not to be worth the extra $. I liken it much to Chilli's on land.

Didn't use the computers or Wi-Fi so can't comment other than to say there were several times during the cruise that the computers were down.

Just a different opinion on the Cruise Director Steve, we are actually so happy he is on this ship since we had him on the Jewel when he first became a Cruise Director. He is very personal, energetic, approachable and talented in singing and dancing. He also teaches the "Thriller Dance" to anyone that wants to learn it on the ship with three practices and then performs around the last day of the cruise. I never had another cruise director that has been so involved with his passengers.

Just a different opinion on the Cruise Director Steve, we are actually so happy he is on this ship since we had him on the Jewel when he first became a Cruise Director. He is very personal, energetic, approachable and talented in singing and dancing. He also teaches the "Thriller Dance" to anyone that wants to learn it on the ship with three practices and then performs around the last day of the cruise. I never had another cruise director that has been so involved with his passengers.

Yes, we found him to be funny and very friendly.

My husband and I will be sailing on the Brilliance this Sunday (10/13) and we are so enjoying looking at your photos. I must know, what type of camera do you use, and did you use any filters? The quality of your photos is the best!

On the Sept.15-22 cruise, formal nights were Day 2 (Monday-Portland) and Day 5 (Thursday- Sea Day). We had dinner one night at Giovanni's Table on a non-formal night and it was excellent. Enjoy your cruise.

I'm sorry if I missed this in an earlier post, but does anyone know what the formal nights will be on the route that goes in the opposite direction (Boston - Halifax-St John-Bar Harbour-Portland- Boston)?

Also- Thank you for the amazing pictures (can't wait to get on a Radiance-class ship again), and helpful information. Hurry up October 20!!!!:D

Thank you so much for an attention to my photos!

I loved Brilliance and ports so decided to share.

I am still a beginner and have pretty basic starter DSLR camera Nikon D3000. I did upgrade my lens to Tokina AF 12-24mm f/4 AT_X 124 Pro DX II Lens - Nikon Mount though. It is not very fast and if you can go with f2.8 it will probably be even better, but twice more expensive. This lens is great for landscapes (wide angle) and overall a good quality, although it has its limitations. Taking pictures of people or objects close to you can be a challenge.

I do not use any filters, but have a lens hood.

Edited by Tatka

I'm sorry if I missed this in an earlier post, but does anyone know what the formal nights will be on the route that goes in the opposite direction (Boston - Halifax-St John-Bar Harbour-Portland- Boston)?

Also- Thank you for the amazing pictures (can't wait to get on a Radiance-class ship again), and helpful information. Hurry up October 20!!!!:D

If I am not mistaken formal nights were on 1st sea day (day #2) on the way to Halifax and on day #6 in Bar Harbor.

Thank you so much for an attention to my photos!

I loved Brilliance and ports so decided to share.

I am still a beginner and have pretty basic starter DSLR camera Nikon D3000. I did upgrade my lens to Tokina AF 12-24mm f/4 AT_X 124 Pro DX II Lens - Nikon Mount though. It is not very fast and if you can go with f2.8 it will probably be even better, but twice more expensive. This lens is great for landscapes (wide angle) and overall a good quality, although it has its limitations. Taking pictures of people or objects close to you can be a challenge.

I do not use any filters, but have a lens hood.

Thanks for the camera information. I went from an SLR years ago to a point and shoot, and more recently to my Samsung S3 camera phone (which for a camera phone takes some pretty decent pix). But lately I've been wanting to go back to a good camera and use my phone as a phone. So the information you provided really helps.

Thanks!

Betsy

If I am not mistaken formal nights were on 1st sea day (day #2) on the way to Halifax and on day #6 in Bar Harbor.

Thank you! I'm really looking forward to my first Canada/New England cruise. It will be a different packing experience too. Less bathing suits and more long pants! I hope the great weather we've been having will follow us on the trip.

Well a little fun. :)

This is a picture of me on Brilliance

A_Boston4.jpg

taken by my Mom from the red car on the bridge

A_Boston3.JPG

Her camera is not DSLR so she does not have telephoto lens. But you can find me, right? I had to go a little bit overboard. :D

Thanks for the camera information. I went from an SLR years ago to a point and shoot, and more recently to my Samsung S3 camera phone (which for a camera phone takes some pretty decent pix). But lately I've been wanting to go back to a good camera and use my phone as a phone. So the information you provided really helps.

Thanks!

Betsy

There are some really nice very advanced non-DSLR cameras. My Mom is using one. It has a fast lens with f2.8. Her photos are amazing. She knows photography better than me though, as she started in 70ies when there were more manual settings.

Have a great trip and show us your pictures!

I agree that the photos are great and I also that Steve was a very personable cruise director. Loved the sea days and all 4 ports were great! The week just went by too quickly. Fall colors were disappointing and we heard various reasons from "it hasn't been cold enough yet" to "they peaked 2 weeks ago and the wind blew them all off already." Portland had pockets of colorful trees that we saw on the city and lighthouse trolley tour. Eat lobster on shore! Our favorite was in Bar Harbor at Rte 66 diner on Cottage St on the right. The placemat gave detailed directions for tearing apart and eating the whole lobster. So sweet and succulent that no butter was needed. $21.95 included a cup of clam chowder, fries, cole slaw, approx 1 1/2 lb lobster and blueberry pie with ice cream. The lobster tails in MDR that night were flavorless and dry by comparison. Also had whole lobster in Portland yesterday that was just as sweet, a little smaller and no chowder or pie but came with corn on the cob and baked potato for $18.95. I want to go back! Hope everyone enjoys the next cruise as much as we enjoyed ours.

Lobster in MDR was really Caribbean warm water lobster. I am not sure why Brilliance, which sailed from Europe, and continued sailing in NE had them.

We are not Carnival fans, and food and cruise overall was better on Brilliance than on CCL Glory to Halifax and St John in July. But cold water lobster was served on Glory, only tails too though.

I just got back from the 10/6 brilliance cruise and brought home all my cruise compass documents.

Day 1 Boston - Casual

Day 2 At Sea - Formal

Day 3 Halifax - Casual/70's

Day 4 At Sea - Smart Casual

Day 5 Saint John - Casual

Day 6 Bar Harbor - Formal

Day 7 Portland - Casual

I've been on 4-5 cruises, but most of them were 10+ years ago so I can only give an honest comparison to my most recent trip on the Norwegian Gem in May 2013.

With that said, I really wasn't impressed with the Brilliance.

Food - I don't like eating in the dining rooms, so I only ate at the windjammer and park cafe. The food at windjammer and park cafe were mediocre in my opinion, the desserts were the only items that I would consider to be good. I was also disappointed that the windjammer cafe closed at 8:30pm, I really wish it had stayed open just a little bit later until say 9pm. The park cafe is open late, but their selection is much more limited than the windjammer.

Getting around - Getting around the Brilliance was a bit confusing at first. The main elevators in the centrum area drove me nuts. You have six elevators there, and it is very easy to not notice that an elevator is ready for you unless you stay alert and constantly monitor all six elevators. I found myself constantly waiting at least 1-2 minutes to catch an elevator on the Brilliance in the centrum. This might not seem like a very long time, but it does get frustrating when you have six elevators around you. Not to mention, half of the time when I did manage to catch an elevator, they are typically at least half full, and you have to squeeze in the elevator with 6 other guests.

Crew - On a positive note, I thought the Brilliance crew were excellent, everyone I met was very friendly, polite, and seemed to really care about making the guests comfortable and happy.

Rooms - Not much to say about the rooms. Rooms were clean, beds were comfortable. I felt that the showers were small compared to the NCL Gem, and I'm not a very large person at 5'9" and 140lbs. Caulking inside the shower had a little bit of mold in some areas, but not enough to bother me. I did find that every time I took a shower, water would somehow go under the shower curtain and end up on the bathroom floor.

Not sure what else to say, if anyone has questions feel free to ask.

Edited by apexigsx

I just got back from the 10/6 brilliance cruise and brought home all my cruise compass documents.

Day 1 Boston - Casual

Day 2 At Sea - Formal

Day 3 Halifax - Casual/70's

Day 4 At Sea - Smart Casual

Day 5 Saint John - Casual

Day 6 Bar Harbor - Formal

Day 7 Portland - Casual

Thanks for posting the Itinerary/Dress from your itinerary. We leave next Sunday so hope it's OK that I posted that part of your post on the Oct 20 Roll Call thread.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise