late arrival on first overnight beginning our cruise

Azulann

Got my cruise e documents for cruise starting in Istanbul, Oct 31.

The ship leaves at 8pm on November 1 for the twelve day cruise.

According to documents the check in is from 12:00 to 6pm on Oct 31.

Flight gets in at 3:50pm on Oct 31, already have my visa and have private tranfer arranged to pier. I figure I will be at pier anywhere from 5:30-6:30.

Should I call someone at Celebrity and let them know we might miss the 6pm cutoff?

And who would I call? Captains Club? or....?

thanks for any experience with a later arrival..

I guess the question everyone is going to ask "why did you book such a late flight" a 2 hour delay on your flight can mean you miss the ship?

Why would you not call them to find out the procedure for arriving late?

Captains Club always seems to get the best answers.

You guys are missing the point!! The OP's flight gets in the day BEFORE the ship leaves, spends the first night in Istanbul. She is asking about getting to the ship after the stated boarding time of 6PM on 10/31.

I think you'd be fine, but I would def. call and check. I know in Venice you can board later in the evening. They probably just send the majority of the CSR's home and keep just a few for 'stragglers.'

No chance of Azulann missing the ship since it is overnighting in Istanbul! I would contact Celebrity and find out their procedure for checking in "after hours". I imagine there will be others in the same circumstance since many flights land between 3:30 and 5.

We are on the cruise before you and this issue has been discussed on our roll call.

I think the OP is saying that they will arrive a bit late on day 1 of an OVERNIGHT at the departure port. OP say the ship leaves THE NEXT DAY at 8pm.

So....I don't think you have any real problem. I have not done this, but have done an overnight departure in Venice. Ship was open all night for already checked-in passengers to come and go. There will be ship security people at the gangway so I'm sure they will be glad to help you.

I have read on these boards that if the check in desks are closed you have to visit guest relations to check in. BUT the advise to call X and get their instructions sounds like good advice.

I'm sure you will be fine. Just get the scoop on how to check in a bit late.

Enjoy your cruise. Istanbul is a great city so get out and enjoy it before the ship leaves the next day!

Saving money on a flight that arrives about the same time to be on the ship just crazy! Being a airline traveler I have learned one thing...EXPECT DELAY! Especially if you are going international or on the different Coast. Ships will not wait unless you are the VIP, and even that they will give you so much time. The biggest delays are coming from the regional airports who start late or the HUB plane that as mechanical problems or weather. Try to go as early as possible to start and then make sure you have at least an hour between flights. This way you will have a better chance to get OFF your plane on to the next one. Lots of transfer sit up front and pay the extra money! Saving money on flights can be your down fall in the end. Try to get to your port at least by Noon, or the day before and pay for an hotel! You peace of mind will be better.

My understanding is that the OP arrives on Oct. 31st for an OVERNIGHT in Instanbul, with the ship departing November 1st at 8:00pm. The all aboard is by 6:00pm October 31st, but the ship will still be docked.

The OP wants to know if he will be allowed to embark later than 6:00pm. Sorry, OP, but I don't have firsthand knowledge of this, but I'm sure other posters will be able to help you.

Amazing how many people prefer to criticize the poster for arriving so late rather than reading the post where she does arrive the day before the ship sails.

We arrive in two weeks and I'll get the scoop from ship security for you.

Lucinjo, Cathy Cruiser,Lady, and Pelican,

I am glad you all can read...LOL.

Thanks for the advise.

Of course I forgot there will be people arriving early and then getting off for an evening in Istanbul. :)

I will call Celebrity on Monday morning.

Documents did say that there will be security at the pier before you get to check in.

Lucinjo,

I am so excited about our itinerary and we will have 3 nights after cruise in Istanbul.We have a private tour on Nov 1 during the day, before sailaway at 8pm.

For other posters, I would never arrive at port the same day the ship leaves:eek:

We have direct flight form MPS to AMS, a nice four hour layover: to buy some wine at duty free, use the SkyClub lounge and then get our connecting flight to IST on the day before the ship leaves.

Lady Arwin,

I certainly will post a review of our cruise and time in Istanbul.

Istanbul is the reason we are doing another Eastern Med. cruise.

I fell in love with Turkey when we were in Kusadasi in 2011.

Have been reading like a mad woman: history of the Byzantines, Ottomans, and early Orthodox churches. I am taking the book, Mistress of the Elgin Marbles: A biography of Mary Nisbest, Countess of Elgin to read on the plane.

I think I am ready....

I even plan on buying a rug in the Grand Bazaar.:D Have done all the research have a reliable contact who will be expecting us at his shop.

Azulann,

Our cruise has the same thing- leaving the first from Venice on Silhouette, but many are arriving after the boarding times of 12-3:30 on the 31st. Several people contacted Celebrity and were assured that there would be no issue, but that they might have to schlep their own bags to the ship itself.

Captain's Club provided an "Emergency Services" number for friends of ours, but also stated that it wouldn't be an issue. Best to call/e-mail for your peace of mind, but you should be all set.

Happy cruising- Istanbul is one of my favorite cities, so be sure to enjoy yourself there on the 1st. We'll be in Venice enjoying ourselves that same day!

Andrew

Amazing how many people prefer to criticize the poster for arriving so late rather than reading the post where she does arrive the day before the ship sails.

We arrive in two weeks and I'll get the scoop from ship security for you.

I read the OP and didn't pick up on that. I though overnight = night. Why would there be a time after which you could not check in?

Perhaps I didn't understand, but I'm not a dummy. It wasnt clear to me what OP meant.

My first Royal Caribbean cruise was like yours; I let RCI book my flight to Singapore. The airplane was on time, I didn't get to the dock till midnight!

The had me checking in at Guest Services on board. No issues what so ever.

(I don't remember what happened with the luggage; after 20 hours of travel I was tired!)

Aloha,

John

ps: that was the last time I let the cruise line pick my flights!

rigs 32 asked "Why would there be a time after which you could not check in? "

Because the check-in desks would not be manned, and/or the luggage handlers would not be there any more.

Those who had already checked in and chose to leave again to explore the territory would only need to enter through the normal gangway, sans luggage, and would not need to register their credit cards, have their photos taken, fill out the health form, and anything else that is required at check-in.

Lady Arwin,

I certainly will post a review of our cruise and time in Istanbul.

Istanbul is the reason we are doing another Eastern Med. cruise.

I fell in love with Turkey when we were in Kusadasi in 2011.

Have been reading like a mad woman: history of the Byzantines, Ottomans, and early Orthodox churches. I am taking the book, Mistress of the Elgin Marbles: A biography of Mary Nisbest, Countess of Elgin to read on the plane.

I think I am ready....

I even plan on buying a rug in the Grand Bazaar.:D Have done all the research have a reliable contact who will be expecting us at his shop.

Azulann,

We are planning a cruise out of IST next summer. The thought of buying a rug is intriguing but I tend to avoid doing much significant $$ shopping on vacations. How did you conduct your research on area rugs?

Look forward to reading your trip report,

Sharon

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sharon,

When I was in Kusadasi, My friend and I spent about one hour in a rug shop. Learned a lot. Left with two embroidered pillow covers,no rug.

This time, I have done some research online, will visit a rug store locally to get feel for Turkish rug prices here. My traveling companion's sister lived in Istanbul for a number of years, teaching school. They bought a rug before they left and it was shipped to their US address. So the "sister school teacher" has already emailed the store owner and said we would be stopping by when we are Istanbul.

I am only talking about a 5 x7 ft rug for under my coffee table.

The one thing I have learned if you give the salesperson your price and he says a deal, you really have to buy it. It is very disrespectful to continue to bargain.

Here is the web site for the store:http://www.adnanandhasan.com

I will let you know how my shopping experience turns out.:)

Archived