First time cruiser

DJSchib

We are ready to book our flights and are not sure if we should fly into Miami since that will be our port or fly into Fort Lauderdale which would be easier and then find a way to Miami. Any suggestions? Any hotel recommendations in either city that is not $250+ a night? We will be flying in the day before cruise

Debbie

Debbie,

You'll find good hotel info on the Florida board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

In my experience, we flew to Miami and stayed twice downtown - once at the Intercontinental and once at the Marriott Courtyard Downtown. I reserved them both on last minute travel dot com and got them both for under $150 per night in the winter.

I always fly a day ahead. Less stressful

You could fly into FLL and take transportation to Miami, many recommend SAS Transport.

The Florida board is a great place to get your info.

Have fun!

For a Miami departure I'd rather fly into Miami, of course, but often the flights are a lot cheaper to Ft. Lauderdale.

We find hotels either on Priceline or Hotwire; I have used LMT also, once. We can get 3-4 star hotel for under $100, normally. I research the bidding travel help sites so I am pretty sure of what I am getting.

From Ft. Lauderdale, SAS is good and cheap. When we had a large group we rented a Limo. That was several years ago, but we had a great rate then.

We are putting our downpayment down tomorrow on the Celebrity Reflection but now I am wondering if its the right decision We are in our 50's and our first cruise. I always thought I would want to sail on the Oasis after seeing it in port while taking a FL water tour. Are we making the right decision by going with Reflection? Any help would be appreciated. It's crunch time. Money due in by close on Monday. Thanks

Yes...you'll have to give a credit card when booking. I always book directly through the hotel...not thru any of those "3rd parties"....find the hotel you want, then call them directly...not the 800 booking number! Ask for any "special" rates....the hotels can and do give discounts that the reservation number can't or won't give!

Yes...pre book SAS, if you are staying in FLL. If you stay in Miami, a cab is all you need!

Yes, you do give your credit card info before you know your hotel--they are both 'opaque' sites; on Priceline, if your bid is accepted, then you get the hotel, and there is no backing out.

On Hotwire, you don't bid, but choose a hotel based on the amenities, location and reviews given (at the price stated)--but you don't know the name of the hotel until after you book. Again, there is no backing out once you choose a hotel and click the 'buy' button.

So far we have always been satisfied with our hotel. Only once was a hotel not ideal, because it was much farther from the port than I expected--but that was my fault, as I misread the areas and didn't factor in taxi costs. It would have been cheaper to buy a hotel right at the port that didn't need a $25 taxi ride to get to the ship. It still worked out.

We use these sites--I prefer Hotwire because it is much less of a hassle, since there is no bidding; you just choose the hotel at the price stated-- because you can get such great bargains. So far, I have not been able to come even close by calling hotels directly. But, of course, you do give up your ability to choose your hotel, though you can often figure out which one you will get by using the sites that give advice on bidding for travel.

Last Minute Travel is also opaque, although there are ways to figure out those hotels for sure. Bargains are usually not as great, but can still be substantial.

I always use one of the online sites to book my hotel, this way I can actually pay for it and mark it off the 'money I need' list - whereas when you book with the actual hotel they just 'reserve' your room. This is just me though, I like to start vacation with everything already paid for.

I fly into FLL and use SAS to drive me to Miami.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We prefer to book our own hotels -- that way if something happens, we can cancel the booking. Most hotels do ask that you give a 24 hour notice that you are cancelling when you book directly with them.

Sites like Priceline -- if you change your mind about the cruise or if something comes up and you cancel -- you are out the money.

That makes sense Krazy. Pretty sure we will fly into FL two days before cruise day and will stay 2-3 days after cruise. Not sure where to stay that would be a good relaxing area prior to cruise. We plan to rent a car after coming back to port.

Thank you. If you don't bid how do you know price range? Can you explain opaque. Just means you can't see it?

Opaque means you cannot see the name of the hotel before you buy it. Last Minute Travel, by the way, has some opaque hotels, many that are not.

On Hotwire, you don't bid. You just enter the city you want a hotel (or area of the city, if it's large), the dates and # of people/rooms. Then a list comes up with all hotels that have rooms for that date on Hotwire, and their prices, amenities, distance from, say a port or airport, etc.

For instance, we are looking right now for a hotel in San Pedro for a cruise in December. The one I want is going for $86 right now; almost sure it is the Crown Plaza, from the amenities list and recommendation %. We stayed there last year. I'm waiting a month or so to book because we got it for $69 last year, plus taxes. It could also be the Doubletree, which I would also be fine with.

You do take the risk that if you cannot make the cruise or other plans change that you will be out the hotel cost--there are no refunds on these sites. We do have insurance, if necessary.

I use sites like Bidding for Travel (I think it's ok to mention this site, as it's not a travel agent) that helps to figure out which hotel you are likely to get.

Archived