To Hawaiidan

atlantic cruiser

High there, Further to our comments on extended B3 balconies do you have a preference. I was booked in 7008 and on the advice of an Oceania Rep. switched to 7108 as she claimed it was less prone to motion. I have since read there may be concerns with noise from a staff elevator across from 7108 and wanted to know if you have any experience with this. Thanks for you comments.

High there, Further to our comments on extended B3 balconies do you have a preference. I was booked in 7008 and on the advice of an Oceania Rep. switched to 7108 as she claimed it was less prone to motion. I have since read there may be concerns with noise from a staff elevator across from 7108 and wanted to know if you have any experience with this. Thanks for you comments.

7008 is a MUCH larger balcony, with aft views. Most thought our room was a suite (we were in 7009/B4 now B3).

Oceania has advised me that 7108 is the same size as 7008 but I am concerned about wind. However this will be a med itinerary in late May so may not be a problem. I can still switch to 7008 but thought it was a bit too forward. Will wait to see what Dan says. Thanks

The stateroom is the same size. This balcony however is extended and then does a 45 degree cut to the aft. You still get all the benefits of a standard balcony AND the extra room. It's really big and you can have loungers out there should you ask. AND it is pretty sheltered via the other 3 more forward balconies. You might hear some rattling in high winds (partitions) but honestly - we always request these two rooms.

I would think you would get more breeze when underway in 7108 as you are facing the front of the ship

7008 you have a partition to block some of the breeze from the bow of the ship but you will still have a open view facing towards the stern

You may also consider the salt spray on the veranda we were in 7114 & did still get the spray part way on the deck

Check this thread for photos of the decks & cabin location

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=39943807&highlight=7108#post39943807

Does 7108 not have the same "cutaway". I was told the balconies were identical and an oceania rep said 7108 was actually preferable for stability. I can still change it but want to make sure we are talking apples to apples. On the deck plan 7108 is the aft cabin with the cutaway??

173743.jpg This photograph depicts the opposite side of the ship,and therefore shows how cabins 7111 through 7135 extend out over the Grand Dining Room.

102950.jpg 7108 is in the position of being the forward-most of those "extended veranda cabins" on the Port Side, and has open railings in two directions (forward and to the side). It shares a solid veranda partition only with 7110.

Some people (Hawaii-dan among them) love the open feeling, additional sunlight and exposure which that cabin veranda offers; others describe them as being too windy and "like standing on a stage".

070957.jpg

The veranda of 7108 is the same SIZE as all of the other "extended verandas" the difference lies in that cabins location as "the first of the run". As with everything, it depends on what compromises you are willing to make to get the larger, perhaps sunnier veranda at a bargain price.

Hope that this helped!

On Marina and Riviera, cabins 7008 and 7009, towards the mid to forward area of the ship, and cabins 7108 and 7111, towards the mid to rear area of the ship, have these oversized balconies, with the angle and one side open.

Excuse the post, JimandStan were posting at the same time and covered it much better.

Jim and Stan thank you for replying. I too like the more open feeling. I would like to avoid that tunnel sensation.Now I have to quickly decide whether to go back to my original cabin 7008 or stay in 7180 which the Oceania rep said was a better location and is always booked before 7008.I think it makes sense that 7108 would get more breeze as you say being the first of that group. Thanks for your comments.

Jim and Stan thank you for replying. I too like the more open feeling. I would like to avoid that tunnel sensation.Now I have to quickly decide whether to go back to my original cabin 7008 or stay in 7180 which the Oceania rep said was a better location and is always booked before 7008.I think it makes sense that 7108 would get more breeze as you say being the first of that group. Thanks for your comments.

I have not yet been in 7008, however have been on a lot of ships in a lot of places. As others have said and I conclude 7008 will have way less wind and a better view than 7108 based on simple aerodynamics and simple engineering,

7108 has a flat bulkhead directly below which would aid in the "air dam" effect defelecting wind from lower decks as it streams along side of the ship gathering speed.

Second the foward superstructure acts to defelect wind from 7008 and would seem to defelect the wind ( read burble for you aerodynamic folks) to a point midships where it can re consolidate and accelerate on its way to strike the dual bulkheads of 7108.

Having the 4 full dividers in front of 7008 I feel will act as as a wind speed decelerator...like a muzzle break or supressor would. Or like "speed brakes" used on aircraft wings. Not to mention the deck below 7008 has a covered passageway that is going to eat airflow not enhance it

Any additional motion is going to be minimal in my book.:cool:

From experience on other ships the view aft is far more pleasurable and relaxing. ( why some crave aft cabins). Hence my deduction and increase motion is more than compensated by view and usability.

And that the why and how I love these cabins...even before setting foot in one the ship plans to me speak volumes .

I don' t begin to understand aerodynamics but with all the above advise have emailed my TA and asked to be put back in our original cabin 7008 . It was still available a few hrs. ago so hopefully my TA will not think I have lost my marbles after talking to oceania rep who recommended 7108 over 7008who said this cabin always sold way before 7008. Just saying... It does make more sense re air flow however so will hopefully resolve this issue and my TA will not think I am a nightmare client. Thanks everyone for their imput. I hope I am doing the right thing.

I don' t begin to understand aerodynamics but with all the above advise have emailed my TA and asked to be put back in our original cabin 7008 . It was still available a few hrs. ago so hopefully my TA will not think I have lost my marbles after talking to oceania rep who recommended 7108 over 7008who said this cabin always sold way before 7008. Just saying... It does make more sense re air flow however so will hopefully resolve this issue and my TA will not think I am a nightmare client. Thanks everyone for their imput. I hope I am doing the right thing.

You are doing the right thing simply by boarding that ship! We stayed in 7009 in the very rough Baltics and loved it. I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's about a 2 min walk from the elevator bank/stairwell, but again - so worth it. Enjoy! :)

Just thought I would post my final decision. I called my TA and had our cabin changed back to 7008. I feel better with this decision and wanted to thank those that helped clarify this for me. Can't wait until May!!!

Happy to give the how I think to you... I will be spending 34 days in7008 so I am putting my money where my mouth is so to speak. Good luck my friend..

Archived