Does RCI do adult beverage tastings?

I'm sure I'll be making you all insane with my questions. I've sailed with Disney 7 times but never with anyone else. We'll be on Allure with the inlaws for Thanksgiving week. The more I try to plan for this first spin away from Mickey the more questions come up in my mind. I'm sooooo sorry, y'all! :)

So, will there be adult beverage tastings or mixology classes offered on the Allure? If so, when is the earliest I can go about finding out when/where and get them booked? Disney offers a fairly wide variety at nominal fees ($15 or so). If RCI does these, how much is their usual fee?

This is definitely pertinent information when considering whether or not to jump in with the premium adult beverage package. :cool:

I'm sure I'll be making you all insane with my questions. I've sailed with Disney 7 times but never with anyone else. We'll be on Allure with the inlaws for Thanksgiving week. The more I try to plan for this first spin away from Mickey the more questions come up in my mind. I'm sooooo sorry, y'all! :)

So, will there be adult beverage tastings or mixology classes offered on the Allure? If so, when is the earliest I can go about finding out when/where and get them booked? Disney offers a fairly wide variety at nominal fees ($15 or so). If RCI does these, how much is their usual fee?

This is definitely pertinent information when considering whether or not to jump in with the premium adult beverage package. :cool:

The mixology classes are listed in the compasses. I don't know of a way to sign-up for them before the cruise.

Royal does offer a wine tasting called the Lafite Wine Tasting Experience. I've seen this offered on the Pre-Cruise Planning section of the website around 90 days before the cruise. I would also check with the people in Vintages once you are on board. They may have some additional tastings that are not available for pre-cruise booking.

We had two classes at the R bar on the Enchantment last January. Great fun. I believe they were both martini classes and were $15 each. (I guess that says something about them since I can't quite remember) ;):D:rolleyes:

In addition, Vintages offers "wine flights" where you get to sample several wines of a particular kind. We tried a couple flights in Vintages on Allure and it was a lot of fun!

As examples, here are the wine flights that we tried:

1. Elegant Whites ($16)
    • Attems, Venezie Giulia IGT, Italy
    • Robert Mondavi, "Reserve", Fumé Blanc, Napa, California, USA
    • Torres, Vina Esmeralda 85% Moscato 15% Gewürztraminer, Catalunya, Spain

[*]Silver & Gold ($18)

• Mer Soleil, "Silver", Unoaked Chardonnay, Santa Lucia Highlands, California, USA
  • Mer Soleil, Chardonnay, Santa Lucia Highlands, California, USA
  • Torres, Gran Viña Sol, Chardonnay, Penedès, Spain

Each glass is roughly a 2 oz. pour.

They always seem to offer such classes, but the offerings vary by ship/itinerary. On our Navigator cruise in April, we participated in both a martini seminar in the Viking Crown and a mixology class in the Champagne bar. Both were quite fun. I don't remember the exact charges for each, but it was similar to the $15 you mentioned. I think that may have been the charge for the martini class, and the mixology one was more like $20 (but we ended up having about half-size portions of six or seven different cocktails).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info!

So, few more questions getting down to details...

Exactly how/when will we be able to find out what tastings are when/where? Can we go to Guest Services and ask? Will we have to wait until we get our Compass each day?

Exactly how/when can we sign up? Is there a reservation system for these or is it first come first serve?

There's a reason I ask. As previously mentioned we've only ever cruised with Disney. I know all the ins & outs. Trying to learn RC. On Disney the tastings are often mentioned in the daily schedule but not always. On embarkation day if you go to Guest Services & ask they will have a complete list of all tastings for the entire cruise that you can reserve. Its best to reserve early because they do book up completely. THIS is my concern. On a ship that holds as many passengers as the Allure on a holiday week (Thanksgiving) I don't want my lack of knowledge to cause us to miss out on tastings. We looooove the variety and fun of doing them.

Thanks again, y'all! I'm learning my way as fast as I can!

Usually they are first-come, first-served. I have never tried asking for a schedule in advance - we've just checked the compass and done them on more of a spur-of-the-moment basis.

That said, when we went to the "Mixology Seminar" on the Navigator earlier this year, it was pretty much booked up. We weren't sure how people knew to sign up in advance, but it turns out the bartender who hosted it had talked to some of his patrons about it and got them signed up to attend. As it turned out, though, he ended up making room for everyone who showed up. (And it was a very good class!)

We have done all the wine tastings (wine flights) in Vintages, martini making classes, etc that have been offered. That said, the Lafitte tasting was terrible and not worth the money. I strongly suggest you speak with the staff selling the wine package right after you get onboard, the wine tender in Vintages as soon as they open and the bartender at the Champaign or Martini bars. They will know when these events will be held because they usually are the ones doing them so you can sign up ASAP.

Margee

Thanks for the info!

So, few more questions getting down to details...

Exactly how/when will we be able to find out what tastings are when/where? Can we go to Guest Services and ask? Will we have to wait until we get our Compass each day?

Exactly how/when can we sign up? Is there a reservation system for these or is it first come first serve?

There's a reason I ask. As previously mentioned we've only ever cruised with Disney. I know all the ins & outs. Trying to learn RC. On Disney the tastings are often mentioned in the daily schedule but not always. On embarkation day if you go to Guest Services & ask they will have a complete list of all tastings for the entire cruise that you can reserve. Its best to reserve early because they do book up completely. THIS is my concern. On a ship that holds as many passengers as the Allure on a holiday week (Thanksgiving) I don't want my lack of knowledge to cause us to miss out on tastings. We looooove the variety and fun of doing them.

Thanks again, y'all! I'm learning my way as fast as I can!

My husband and I did the martini tasting on Disney..it was so much fun...

Archived