need cheering up ...tell me the best things

Lovely other

Why does anyone sail? Why do I sail? Why did you book this cruise, or any other?

Go outside (balcony, Lido aft pool, Promenade, whatever.) Do it at or before dawn. Listen. The sea speaks, and if you are still, and quiet, and listen, you may hear. Ponder all of life's mysteries...or not. But, listen and heed. You might find peace.

Dave

Why does anyone sail? Why do I sail? Why did you book this cruise, or any other?

Go outside (balcony, Lido aft pool, Promenade, whatever.) Do it at or before dawn. Listen. The sea speaks, and if you are still, and quiet, and listen, you may hear. Ponder all of life's mysteries...or not. But, listen and heed. You might find peace.

Dave

Lovely! So true. Being outside and watching the sun rise is something so tranquil and, well - just wonderful:).

thank you for all the lovely replies, they have made me feel much better.

after turning 40 a couple of weeks ago and my grandmother passing away on the same day, i've been having a tough time of funeral arrangements, families that can't co-exist and sorting out a mortgage at the same time. i swear i've aged about 10 years in as many days!

but i need to look forward to something now and this will be a chance to catch up on all that missed sleep (are the beds nice and firm?) and missed meals. coming on this forum late at night has kept me sane this past few days as i've lost myself for a little while in other members experiences. i've read menu's and imagined what i'd order, looked at the daily schedule and planned what i'd be doing, and been amazed by the photo's.

thank you all

m x

The beds on HAL are some of the best in the business IMO and I find them great (and I like a firm mattress)

It's time to get serious -you will have a GREAT sleep - you will be away from the hustle and bussle (don't know how to spell that).

And you are about to visit great places with no need to unpack and ppack:D

Sit back, close your eyes and picture the ocean and the waves - it's coming - relax - enjoy - and have a great time.

feeling much better now. i got the guidebooks out for a read in the bath and then started sorting my clothes.

still had the odd tearful moment, but i guess that is to be expected seeming as my grandparents raised me, so it is like losing a parent. but i'm now getting excited again and all the stress and missed meals does mean my holiday clothes now fit again.

so a few last minute things to purchase and then in less than two weeks i'll be sailing away from all the troubles ....

Just for fun, hit the Dollar Tree Store and splurge on ten of the most useful or crazy things you can find. Sleep mask, lavender sachet, tiny flashlight, Angel anything, unicorn or something that reminds you of your grandmother.

What you don't need leave behind for anyone else. I'm taking Silver tiaras for any little girls. We used them with a book club event.

Blessings throughout this difficult time,

Gail

I am sorry to read what you are going through but at the same time thank you for posting. This thread has been so therapudic (sp?) for me too and I am so glad to read you are excited again.

I lost my mother Dec. 21 and we are going on a cruise this New Years so that we are not home. DH wanted to be home for Christmas because DS still believes in the jolly old elf. Now we are leaving Dec. 25 so I will still be home on "that day - the shortest daylight day".

Reading these replies and knowing that we will be leaving in a few days has gotten me excited and I still have 3 months!

Please enjoy and hope you can reconnect with your inner peace and find yourself again.

Wishing you a pampered relaxing journey. Time to distract and treat yourself. But also time to contemplate without the added stressors. It sounds like you are taking care of everyone. Let other's take care of you for a bit.

Inhale the fresh air, the soothing breeze, the comforting calm.

So many kind and supportive posts before me... CC is full of cruisers with passion for the sea, but also for the journey. Meeting new folks is certainly a part of that. So let all of us pamper you some as you ready for a break. A vacation means many things to many different people... and that can change with each voyage. Don't miss a date with the yum yum man!

thank you for all the lovely replies, they have made me feel much better.

after turning 40 a couple of weeks ago and my grandmother passing away on the same day, i've been having a tough time of funeral arrangements, families that can't co-exist and sorting out a mortgage at the same time. i swear i've aged about 10 years in as many days!

but i need to look forward to something now and this will be a chance to catch up on all that missed sleep (are the beds nice and firm?) and missed meals. coming on this forum late at night has kept me sane this past few days as i've lost myself for a little while in other members experiences. i've read menu's and imagined what i'd order, looked at the daily schedule and planned what i'd be doing, and been amazed by the photo's.

thank you all

m x

You're going to Santorini, one of my favorite places in the world. You are also going to Kotor, another terrific place.

Lovely! So true. Being outside and watching the sun rise is something so tranquil and, well - just wonderful:).

Yes, sunrises are amazing emotion lifters. The day is new and fresh and life goes on. I love getting up early, grab some coffee and walk the deck watching the ship and passengers wake up.

I say hello to the crew working early and just enjoy the peace on board.

Yes, sunrises are amazing emotion lifters. The day is new and fresh and life goes on. I love getting up early, grab some coffee and walk the deck watching the ship and passengers wake up.

I say hello to the crew working early and just enjoy the peace on board.

Through the years, several times when we boarded, I had a lot on my mind. Lots of stress and issues I wanted to 'think through'. I woke early some mornings, got coffee in Lido and went out on deck. It was the most calm time I can recall in most of my adult life. It was, indeed, therapeutic and helped me over a rough patch.

Most adults have those troubling times over one thing or another during their lives and a quiet few moments with only the sea and sky to focus on can truly be healing. It has been for me in the past. :)

I think the best thing to do when you are experiencing a rough patch in life is to get away from it for a while. The cruise will allow you to do that. Look at a sunrise and listen to the ocean.

Think to yourself, "OK, life has been yucky lately, but I got through it and am looking at something beautiful."

Repeat each day of your cruise.

(If you are not a morning person, looking at a sunset or the moon works, too.)

Dave

:(:o:)--its amazing how everyday gets better and better--cheaper than therapy

Wishing you a pampered relaxing journey. Time to distract and treat yourself. But also time to contemplate without the added stressors. It sounds like you are taking care of everyone. Let other's take care of you for a bit.

So many kind and supportive posts before me... CC is full of cruisers with passion for the sea, but also for the journey. Meeting new folks is certainly a part of that. So let all of us pamper you some as you ready for a break. A vacation means many things to many different people... and that can change with each voyage. Don't miss a date with the yum yum man!

darn tylerRose--you got me all teary eyed,and im out at a coffee shop--ill just say its allergies if anyone askes--;)-

You're right I do take on a lot. I tend to feel responsible for other people's happiness all the time, and as i'm one of life's organisers a lot of things fall end up on my plate to deal with.

i obviously need a holiday and i'm going to really enjoy it. i've just packed my grandmothers favourite pashmina to cuddle up in on deck in the evenings ...

hi guys,

well i've been having a terrible time these past two weeks, so much so that i have lost all interest in my upcoming cruise with HAL on the 9th October. So in an effort to get me in the holiday mood again, what are the things I can look forward to? best dessert? funny little things?

anything really, just please cheer me up :(

m x

the Beds! I suffer from insomnia most nights and when I am on a HAL ship I sleep 8 to 9 hours straight. Love the beds so much I have thought of buying one.

Just being waited on, sitting on the promanade deck falling asleep in a deck chair and reading the same page over and over:)

Standing at the railing and watching the water and feeling so relaxed. All these things just do not happen at home in the busy day to day schedule.

sorry for moaning on but i'm feeling a bit out of sorts and as usual i'm home alone while my husband is hard at work. i'm beginning to think fridays are cursed ...i lost a very good friend today and got turned down for my mortgage. can anything else go wrong ????

thankfully we don't fly out on a friday or i might have been tempted to stay at home ...:(

Cr*p tends to happen in waves. I'm sorry you are experiencing a huge wave of bad stuff right now. It will get better. (as an aside, after my husband died, my house through a temper tantrum [MAJOR stuff breaking down constantly for about a year] and then I lost my job AND my car broke down to the tune of $4000 -- just off warranty -- AND then the house flooded to the point it was uninhabitable ....) It will get better, though that is probably little comfort to you right now.

Sending you a cyber-hug {{{{{{Lovely other}}}}}}}}

Soon, you will find a chocolate on your pillow every night. "Chocolate does it all." ;)

Chin up.

Let us not forget the unbelievably delicious flourless chocolate cake for dinner or the chocolate covered coffee ice cream frozen bomb.

Personally, staring at the ocean, seeing its vastness and the curve of the earth have curative powers for me.

Archived