Suggestion for hotel in Venice

Yaya&Papu

We are booked on a HAL cruise which starts in Venice, Italy and we are bringing along our grandson, who is 11. We are going 2 days early and would like a convenient, quiet place that has no smoking rooms. Recommendations?

What is the best way to get to the hotel from the airport?

What is the best way to get from the hotel to the cruise terminal?

TIA

Yaya

We stayed in the Carlton (not Ritz) when on a cruise package. Very nice and includes breakfast. I cannot speak to the smoking as I don't recall, but smoking is a lot more visible overseas. It was on the canal in walking distance of the train station and a longer walk from the cruise terminal. Could also be reached by water taxi as there are steps to go over when walking. We caught the vaporetto at a nearby stop, bought the two day ticket, and went to many places that way.

We are booked on a HAL cruise which starts in Venice, Italy and we are bringing along our grandson, who is 11. We are going 2 days early and would like a convenient, quiet place that has no smoking rooms. Recommendations?

What is the best way to get to the hotel from the airport?

What is the best way to get from the hotel to the cruise terminal?

TIA

Yaya

We did extensive research recently about flying into Venice, actually Marco Polo International Airport on the mainland, and hotels and transportation. The hotel choices are numerous but having never stayed actually in Venice I can't recommend one. As for transportation to the hotel it will most probably be a water taxi. There are no cars in the heart of Venice, only on the fringe which won't get you anywhere close to most hotels so it's better just to go with a water taxi to start with. Depending on the hotel the majority are set up with water access so you can get door-to-door service from the airport. Same is true about getting from the hotel to the cruise terminal. I guess you could use the ever present water buses but having visited Venice previously the thought of hauling luggage from the water bus stops to a hotel is not very attractive to me. We actually changed cruises and won't be flying into Venice now but will be visiting there as our mid itinerary port of our back-to-back cruise will be Venice.

My wife and I spent 4 days pre-cruise in Venice this past June. I stayed at a HAL package hotel http://www.hotelbonvecchiati.it/ there other offering was the Bauer which I stayed at before. It was fully booked six months out. Both are good, near St Marco Sq. I took HAL transportation from the airport and was met in the lobby as you exit. Please keep this in mind if you come in early there will be people holding a place card with your name on it as you are exiting. Go to them and identify yourself. She will not be wearing anything HAL ie. blazer, white blouse or scarf. She is an independent arranged for the transportation by waterway to the hotel. I liked the way I did it because of the ease and no worry. Maybe a little more expensive but it worked for me with no problems.

bob

If you choose a hotel on or near Piazzale Roma a land taxi can take you that far (about 40>45 Euro, plus tip, cheaper than a water taxi), and then when you want to go to the ship you just take the People Mover from P.R. to the mid-point stop for 1 Euro pp.

If you have too much baggage to handle yourself you can hire a porter who takes everything on a big cart. For that matter you can hire a porter at any hotel on the island who will take you to a Vaporetto stop, which will take you to P'le Roma, which is the nearest stop to the cruise terminal.

See the Ports of Call Italy forum for hotel discussions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

We stayed one night at Hotel Olimpia near Piazzale Roma and had a very good experience. I posted a review and photos over at TripAdvisor, we had one quad and one triple room. We did not have good luck with the people mover however, it was awfully crowded, people pushed and shoved to get on, our group was seperated and those that got left behind had to wait for two trains to catch up with us, so it took well over an hour to get from the ship to the hotel - because we are a large group the price would have been the same to just take a cab. Anyway, the staff at Hotel Olimpia were exceptional, the breakfast was also excellent. Rooms recently renovated. We booked there a year in advance and secured a very good rate, about half of what they were charging near our travel date because there were 5 ships in port (hence the fiasco at the people mover). That said, we were a group of 7, not many quad/triple rooms in Venice, so the availability of these rooms made this particular property an especially good value for our group. We booked there because it would be the least distance to schlep our luggage with just one bridge to cross. We just took a cab back to the airport, the driver met us at the hotel and helped with the luggage.

I would definitely stay at Hotel Olimpia again.

We stored our cruise suitcases in the storage "shop" in the square where the busses drop you from the airport (is that Piazzale Roma?). Then we just had a small hand bag each to take by vaporetto and on foot to the hotel. When we came back from the cruise, we did the same thing, and just took our hand luggage for a few days in Florence. It worked well.

We also stayed at the BW Olimpia last year in Venice and were quite pleased. We had a little trouble finding it, but only because we didn't orient ourselves correctly on the map we had. We took the bus from the airport to P. Roma - very easy. Then we took the people-mover to the ship. Had a long walk from the end of the line to the pier, but it was a nice day so it wasn't that bad.

Do yourself a favor and book a hotel right on the Grand Canal.

If you Google "shared water taxi" you will find a site which offers singles or couples the opportunity to share a water taxi from the airport directly to your hotel and then from the hotel to the cruise ship. It is much cheaper than a water taxi for two or three.

The hotels on the Grand Canal are a bit more expensive but you do not have to worry about water bus (always extremely crowded), vaporetto, people mover, pulling luggage over bridges, etc... AND you can walk everywhere.

Do yourself a favor and book a hotel right on the Grand Canal.

If you Google "shared water taxi" you will find a site which offers singles or couples the opportunity to share a water taxi from the airport directly to your hotel and then from the hotel to the cruise ship. It is much cheaper than a water taxi for two or three.

The hotels on the Grand Canal are a bit more expensive but you do not have to worry about water bus (always extremely crowded), vaporetto, people mover, pulling luggage over bridges, etc... AND you can walk everywhere.

Thank you very much for this advice! :) I have added 'Venice Shuttle' to 'My Favourites'! :)

Stayed at Palazzo Abadessa in Carnavecchio (I probably spelled that wrong).

It's a very nice spot - on a Canal, with private water taxi access :D

Lovely breakfast, gardens and included drinks at night. It was about a 10 minute walk to the main sights and very quiet where we were.

For transport - we found roll call members to share our water taxi with to the ship. Water taxi is definitely the way to go if you don't mind spending a few $. The views are great and no schlepping luggage:D

We have stayed a number of times before cruising. If you want to be handy for the cruise terminal and have easy access from the airport, these would be my suggestions.

1. Catch the ATVO bus from Marco Polo airport which takes your directly to Piazzale Roma bus station. You can pre-buy tickets online or just buy at ticket counter in arrivals. It's about 6-7 Euro. Here's a link:

http://www.atvo.it/?lang=en

2. Stay at the Hotel Papadopoli Venezia. It's no more than a 2 min walk from the bus, over one small pedestrian bridge, if you don't mind the brief walk. The hotel is in a quieter area, but quite nice, and only 2 mins walk from the western side of the Gran Canal.

3. When you leave for your cruise catch the people mover from Piazzale Roma, it's one Euro and takes you one stop to the cruise terminal stop.

Archived