Thoughts on Azamara's direction

captainmcd

I think everyone is getting excited about nothing. We cruise Azamara because we enjoy the smaller ships, the great food, the exceptional crew and the more personal experience onboard as opposed to a ship with three thousand passengers. I will admit that since we have gotten older our cruise priorities have changed and Azamara fits the bill for us. As far as Art Auctions or Harpists We could care less. Art Auctions are not my cup of tea, but If they are offered and some people like them how does that affect the persona of an entire cruise line? We also enjoy the older design of the ships. We have cruised newer and larger ships and have not been impressed with the chrome and glitz. Azamara is not for everyone and there are many, many choices for cruises out there. As far as cruise fares are concerned, you get what you pay for only if you do your homework. On Azamara we feel we get what we want at a fair price. We all have to decide what kind of cruise experience we want and usually that has to do with money. If you have problems with the way a cruise line prices or markets itself, you have plenty of choices out there.

Well....as someone new to azamara....im having some 2nd thoughts about putting down my deposit for next may after reading this thread

We feel celebrity cruises have gone downhill and feel we are nickel and dimed so we were looking for a different experience. It seems we are paying the same amount on celebrity that we were paying years ago....so something has to give... I feel the food and entertainment on celebrity have taken a serious nose dive.

I would rather pay more and have a better vacation experience.....we were hoping that was azamara

Im curious....you seasoned aza cruisers....have you been on celebrity recently?? Whats your comparison??

I was hoping that aza would be what celebrity WAS when we first cruised with them 15 years ago

I don't think you'll be sorry sailing on Azamara. Give it a chance. Remember, I am just off the Silhouette, and while it is a beautiful ship, there was just something special about Azamara.

I really was not impressed with the food in the MDR most nights on X but we never had a bad meal on Azamara.

I put my down payment on our b2b Azamara cruises next fall and I can't wait to sail on her again.

As far as the size of the staterooms, I really didn't notice X being really much different in size than Azamara. We're hardly in our room anyway and when we are, we are either getting ready for dinner, bed or spend time on our balcony.

I do not think celebrity has taken a serious nosedive....but the food and entertainment have.... The food can be fixed ---- pay for specialty dining...which we do.....the main attraction entertainment ---- dreadful...while most lounge/ bar entertainment was very good.....

I would sail them again...in a heartbeat

;)

You should re-read my post. To be clear, I said I'm NOT in total agreement that Celebrity has taken a serious nosedive, which is what a previous poster mentioned.

I'd sail with Celebrity again in a heartbeat, and I'm sailing on Eclipse in 5 weeks.

I completely disagree that Azamara has to update the ships to remain competitive. The ships are individual, well maintained and charming but cannot be compared to a modern Celebrity ship....and nor should they be!

Most Azamara guests are well aware of the small showers but I don't go on a ship because of the size of the shower or the small stateroom. I have been lucky enough to sail in many Owners and Penthouse Suites and the Queens Grill on Cunard but to me, give me a standard Balcony stateroom on Azamara every time. That's because it's the crew and the overall experience that makes the cruise great......not the stateroom.

I was on Celebrity Equinox in August and had a wonderful cruise but Azamara is still my favourite cruiseline. I love the R class ships and think there will always be a place for them in the ever growing number of huge floating towns being built now. I will still sail on Celebrity and enjoy the experience (I agree about the loud music everywhere though Andy) but Azamara has my heart.

A new 1000 passenger ship would be lovely though! :)

As for me, I'm off to the airport in a few hours because I'm sailing on the wonderful Quest on Wednesday. We have a pre cruise day in Nice to look forward to and then a blissful week of eating, drinking and shopping around The Med. We are so lucky. :D

Totally agree with your comments Lottie. Have a wonderful time on Quest !

I don't think you'll be sorry sailing on Azamara. Give it a chance. Remember, I am just off the Silhouette, and while it is a beautiful ship, there was just something special about Azamara.

I really was not impressed with the food in the MDR most nights on X but we never had a bad meal on Azamara.

I put my down payment on our b2b Azamara cruises next fall and I can't wait to sail on her again.

As far as the size of the staterooms, I really didn't notice X being really much different in size than Azamara. We're hardly in our room anyway and when we are, we are either getting ready for dinner, bed or spend time on our balcony.

Thanks

I think we are going to give it a try this spring

I love the wine lovers cruise itinerary but 14 nights is just too many for us ......maybe someday....

We are going to try 8 nights

Thanks

I think we are going to give it a try this spring

I love the wine lovers cruise itinerary but 14 nights is just too many for us ......maybe someday....

We are going to try 8 nights

Good for you. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The staff was so nice and even the Captain joined us for lunch one day...we were sitting at a table alone and he asked if he could join us...of course, we said yes.:D :D

I've forgotten...which ship are you on?

And...what are the dates for the 14 night wine lovers cruise? I don't think I saw that one.

I'll be able to book my flights after Nov. 4.

Hi Riandel,

I've been on many Celebrity sailings. While I'm not in total agreement that Celebrity has taken a serious nosedive, there are major changes going on, mostly due to a new President, and it's very clear he has a different mindset than former management. I've noticed various cutbacks onboard, cuisine that wasn't as good as say a few years ago, and an environment that seems as if they are catering to younger guests. Things like incredibly loud music throughout the ship, which kept me on a steady diet of Tylenol on our last Eclipse sailing. We had an enjoyable cruise, but the loud music was a major disappointment.

While we will continue to sail Celebrity, they were a sure thing for repeat bookings for our family. Depending on our Eclipse experience next month, it will determine just how loyal we remain to Celebrity.

As for Azamara, I absolutely feel their product is very much akin to what Celebrity was, about 5 years ago. Azamara offers incredible service, wonderful food, along with Officer & crew engagement with Guests, that's the best I've ever experienced on a cruise.

From what you described, I feel that Azamara would be a great fit for you. If you have further questions, feel free to ask. I hope this is helpful !

Hey Andy:

Is there a Azamara cruise on the horizon for you?

Maybe a "Andy-CC" cruise next year in lieu of the Presidents cruise. Sure would be nice to get all of us with you on a AZ cruise at some point.

What say you?:D

Hey Andy:

Is there a Azamara cruise on the horizon for you?

Maybe a "Andy-CC" cruise next year in lieu of the Presidents cruise. Sure would be nice to get all of us with you on a AZ cruise at some point.

What say you?:D

Hi Need2cruisesoon,

Thank you for your kind comments, it's much appreciated !

I was truly hoping to sail on Azamara this year, but due to a number of circumstances, it's probably not going to happen. Believe me, I'm deeply disappointed, as Azamara was our #1 cruise choice.

Our only Azamara option for 2014, is Quest's March 16th sailing, as we require a sailing that begins and ends in Miami. That I know of, there's only the 1 Round-trip Miami sailing in 2014.

There's no way that Azamara would ever replace the President's cruise for me. I doubt that will get on their radar, nor should it LOL. With that said, I'd absolutely love to host an Azamara sailing, and sail with our many dear friends on this forum. I've tried for quite some time to make a Cruise Critic cruise a reality. All I can say, is that I remain hopeful it will happen at some point. We'll see what happens !

Hi Need2cruisesoon,

I was truly hoping to sail on Azamara this year, but due to a number of circumstances, it's probably not going to happen. Believe me, I'm deeply disappointed, as Azamara was our #1 cruise choice.

Our only Azamara option for 2014, is Quest's March 16th sailing, as we require a sailing that begins and ends in Miami. That I know of, there's only the 1 Round-trip Miami sailing in 2014.

There's no way that Azamara would ever replace the President's cruise for me. I doubt that will get on their radar, nor should it LOL. With that said, I'd absolutely love to host an Azamara sailing, and sail with our many dear friends on this forum. I've tried for quite some time to make a Cruise Critic cruise a reality. All I can say, is that I remain hopeful it will happen at some point. We'll see what happens !

Hi Andy: Since there are still a few suites available on our 12/8/13 cruise, maybe Azamara could make you an offer you can't refuse (in fact the Owners Suite is still available). Would be a wonderful tribute for such a dedicated Azamara moderator as you.

Hi Need2cruisesoon,

you deserve it!

There were some in dec.. i am getting off March 16th. i am on cruises with dull Amazing Evenings.

No but if you get a group of 20 cabins you have a large group discount and all your CC friends.

I have to agree about celebrity and its food and music. ihide during the day on the upper deck sun bathing.. i like to dance but that is the only time i like loud music.

Good for you. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The staff was so nice and even the Captain joined us for lunch one day...we were sitting at a table alone and he asked if he could join us...of course, we said yes.:D :D

I've forgotten...which ship are you on?

And...what are the dates for the 14 night wine lovers cruise? I don't think I saw that one.

I'll be able to book my flights after Nov. 4.

14 night food and wine august 20

We currently have on hold quest 8 night med on may 7

We are booked and confirmed on Quest for May 7. Looking forward to another great Azamara cruise.

Hi kjw

We have 2 days to decide on the current cabin we have on courtesy hold

Maybe we will sail together

Eileen

No but if you get a group of 20 cabins you have a large group discount and all your CC friends.

I have to agree about celebrity and its food and music. ihide during the day on the upper deck sun bathing.. i like to dance but that is the only time i like loud music.

Thanks ellbon. I've been trying to put a CC sailing together for some time. If I hear anything further, we will certainly post the news on this forum. Stay Tuned !

Hi Andy: Since there are still a few suites available on our 12/8/13 cruise, maybe Azamara could make you an offer you can't refuse (in fact the Owners Suite is still available). Would be a wonderful tribute for such a dedicated Azamara moderator as you.

Hi Shoesonfire,

Thank you for your very kind comments. Since we lost Dad, it's been a very challenging & sad time for Mom & I. There's little to smile about anymore. Thankfully, our Cruise Critic community (and Bill Leiber) has been incredibly supportive, and I will be forever grateful for everyone's emails and kindness. It would be wonderful to sail on Azamara again, especially as we had an incredible experience on Journey in 2011. While I always say "never say never", I'd never expect anything like what you mentioned, but it's very sweet of you to think of me. I ask for nothing, but our member's appreciation of my time and efforts mean everything to me.

If we do not sail on Azamara this year, we will try for the March 2014 Miami sailing. If not, we'll have to wait until 2015, but with Mom's age - that's a long way off to think about right now. Hopefully, we will find a way to make it happen.

Hi Shoesonfire,

If we do not sail on Azamara this year, we will try for the March 2014 Miami sailing. If not, we'll have to wait until 2015, but with Mom's age - that's a long way off to think about right now. Hopefully, we will find a way, as it would be wonderful to sail on Azamara again.

Hi Andy: My husband and I have enjoyed traveling to many exotic destinations over the years and the past 4 years we've been fortunate to cruise Azamara enjoying their wonderful staff and service. Like you and your Mom, we too have felt the heartache and sadness of losing family members and personal health issues. The 12/08/13 cruise with 3 days in Charleston, 5 days at sea along with visits to 3 relaxing Caribbean private islands suits us to a "t" and felt it would also be ideal for you and your family as well. Also, how wonderful it would be to have you on board hosting our CC folks. It's sad that there are very few Azamara sailings from the USA for us to choose from as evidenced with the 2014 calendar. We are not going to look too far ahead into 2015, as the old saying goes, at our age it's the reason we don't buy green bananas. What will make our upcoming cruise perfect --seeing you and family at sail away! In the meantime thanks again for all the time and effort you put in as our Azamara CC moderator.

Jan

Cannot do other than agree with the other posts, and losing Bornstein is a bonus. The cruise info-videos were cringeworthy for a well travelled customer and the new all inclusive also fails to recognise that the majority of the azamara customers are not heavy drinkers, enjoyed the previous wine/soft drinks package and were happy to pay for what they chose to purchase thereafter. If the product required a price increase to make it turn a profit then do that and let it be judged against the competition, some of which is starting to make Azamara look stale and overpriced.

I (we)say that with three Azamara cruises booked over the next 12 months, but am starting to seriously consider other brands, and the chartering of the Quest for over two months in 2015 to Australian agents not only reduces choice but in my view shows lack of consideration or respect for the loyal guests who have made Azamara the brand it is by their ongoing support and peer to peer marketing. That does not even start to consider the chartering of ships to swingers and other groups where loyal repeat customers are personally offended by the great and often young staff from various religious and cultural backgronds are being exposed to the excesses on board.

Having experienced the Azamazing events I also have to say that whilst is seems an attractive proposition, the logistics of transporting hundreds of guests to events to an almost picnic catering situation does not work and more and more passengers will choose to remain on board to enjoy the food and ambience they expect. Many comments have also been made regarding the 'R' ships which again we enjoy because of their scale, but again unless Azamara look to the future with appropriately sized new builds they will find a drift of passengers away to other brands. They will not attract passengers to downscale from the six star brands because of the product offering, and as Azamara prices continue to increase and offer less value in comparison, no matter how they are fancifully advertised, they will find their loyal customer base will be hard to maintain. When more inclusive lines include shore excursions Azamara increase prices which they defend as being loss making, however in reality the need to be better organised.

The one huge advantage that Azamara has over the competition is the atmosphere and ambience created by their super crews across the entire spectrum of work on board, and for that they should be very grateful and as appreciative as are all passengers.

This may seem like a negative critique of Azamara, it is not as we truly love them, but unless they refocus on what created the brand and loyal customer base, they will just become run of the mill which would be a shame.

I have sailed Azamara twice before the latest 'changes'. We LOVED Azamara. However...we will not be sailing her anymore. I have since booked two other cruises with other cruise lines. The price increase Azamara put in place was way too much for us. We don't drink at all. Paying the huge increase for others to drink was a huge turn off for us. I wish they would have left things alone....I would be sailing with them today if that was so. :(

If the product required a price increase to make it turn a profit then do that and let it be judged against the competition, some of which is starting to make Azamara look stale and overpriced.

I (we)say that with three Azamara cruises booked over the next 12 months, but am starting to seriously consider other brands....

We have been on only one Azamara cruise; the first one on Quest after the "change". We liked it so much, we have booked another for 2014.

There must be something I'm missing. People are comparing Azamara to other cruise lines like Oceania, Seabourn, Regent. However I cannot see any comparison price-wise with those. We could not possibly get a cruise with those lines for the price we have paid for Azamara. Maybe Oceania, I don't know, but theirs is "less inclusive" for us. We receive frequent "offers" from Regent, and the prices are not even close to Azamara's.

Maybe we are the target market, having previously cruised with P&O and Cunard?

We did however meet several couples on the March cruise who had been on Silversea, Regent, etc. They had no complaints about the Azamara offering they were experiencing; at least they seemed to be enjoying themselves.

I can understand previous Azamara clients not wanting to pay for alcohol they do not consume, but can't that apply to many products and services? For example, the selling point for some onboard (and on-land) restaurants can be that their steak, lobster, etc, dishes are fantastic. I don't eat either and choose few or no meat or fish courses in onboard restaurants It could be said that I'm paying for other people's foodie indulgences as I mainly eat salads or veggie dishes? In that case, a cruise where you pay only for what you eat would benefit me. (I think EasyCruise was the only line to try that!) Also, on all cruises, there are all sorts of activities. None are "free". We all pay for them as part of the cruise fare, whether we participate or not. So, doesn't it all balance out?

We loved the onboard ambience of Quest, and that's why we've re-booked.

I have sailed Azamara twice before the latest 'changes'. We LOVED Azamara. However...we will not be sailing her anymore. I have since booked two other cruises with other cruise lines. The price increase Azamara put in place was way too much for us. We don't drink at all. Paying the huge increase for others to drink was a huge turn off for us. I wish they would have left things alone....I would be sailing with them today if that was so. :(

Can someone give me a point of reference......i see sailings of 7 days for 2399 on azamara website for Europe with additional $500 back per person on airfare.

What price point would that have been prior to the new changes?

When searching for a vacation i was comparing azamara to celebrity voyages...i felt azamara offered a better buy with its ALL INCLUSIVE feel....i dont know what azamaras prices were before so i have no way to compare.

We are not big drinkers but do like a few cocktails or wine in the evening and its nice to not have to worry about any additional charges once on board.

Thanks

Can someone give me a point of reference......i see sailings of 7 days for 2399 on azamara website for Europe with additional $500 back per person on airfare.

What price point would that have been prior to the new changes?

When searching for a vacation i was comparing azamara to celebrity voyages...i felt azamara offered a better buy with its ALL INCLUSIVE feel....i dont know what azamaras prices were before so i have no way to compare.

We are not big drinkers but do like a few cocktails or wine in the evening and its nice to not have to worry about any additional charges once on board.

Thanks

I think it is more useful to compare today's prices with those of other cruise lines than to compare Azamara's current price with its past price.

Given that cruiselines have various types of inclusions, or not, and different cruise lengths, it is difficult to compare "apples and apples". I recommend you start by calculating the per day cost. Then add to or subtract from the Azamara and Celebrity daily rates your estimated cost of the inclusions that you would (or would not use). This may give you a more useful number to compare.

However, cost may not be the only factor to consider - Celebrity and Azamara offer different experiences. The itinerary, size of the ship, quality of food, service and general ambiance are also important to me.

BTW, I noticed today that Azamara was chosen by the Cruise Critic editors as the cruise line with the best value. I could not agree more.

I think it is more useful to compare today's prices with those of other cruise lines than to compare Azamara's current price with its past price.

Given that cruiselines have various types of inclusions, or not, and different cruise lengths, it is difficult to compare "apples and apples". I recommend you start by calculating the per day cost. Then add to or subtract from the Azamara and Celebrity daily rates your estimated cost of the inclusions that you would (or would not use). This may give you a more useful number to compare.

However, cost may not be the only factor to consider - Celebrity and Azamara offer different experiences. The itinerary, size of the ship, quality of food, service and general ambiance are also important to me.

BTW, I noticed today that Azamara was chosen by the Cruise Critic editors as the cruise line with the best value. I could not agree more.

I couldn't agree more. It's best to keep the comparison in the present and with choices both available and attractive.

We are light drinkers, but we don't begrudge those that make better use of the "inclusive" package as long as the onboard experience matches our desires. Initially, there was some concern that the included drinks would create a "booze cruise" atmosphere. That would have been a far greater concern.

We will continue to compare but, so far, we continue to enjoy ACC.

Archived