Thoughts on Azamara's direction

captainmcd

I think it is more useful to compare today's prices with those of other cruise lines than to compare Azamara's current price with its past price.

Given that cruiselines have various types of inclusions, or not, and different cruise lengths, it is difficult to compare "apples and apples". I recommend you start by calculating the per day cost. Then add to or subtract from the Azamara and Celebrity daily rates your estimated cost of the inclusions that you would (or would not use). This may give you a more useful number to compare.

However, cost may not be the only factor to consider - Celebrity and Azamara offer different experiences. The itinerary, size of the ship, quality of food, service and general ambiance are also important to me.

BTW, I noticed today that Azamara was chosen by the Cruise Critic editors as the cruise line with the best value. I could not agree more.

i was really just trying to get an idea of what prices WERE on ACC prior to the INCLUSIONS ... I'm not really trying to compare it to Celebrity ..,.if I were ... I would have just gone on celebrity ... we always enjoyed ourselves ... but were very interested in the overnights

I did notice the CC editors pick and was very happy with that ... I cannot wait to try ACC in May

eileen

There must be something I'm missing. People are comparing Azamara to other cruise lines like Oceania, Seabourn, Regent. However I cannot see any comparison price-wise with those. We could not possibly get a cruise with those lines for the price we have paid for Azamara. Maybe Oceania, I don't know, but theirs is "less inclusive" for us. We receive frequent "offers" from Regent, and the prices are not even close to Azamara's.

Sorry but I have to take you to task here. I, a true Azamara fan, have a cruise booked for this November on Seabourn. There was an Azamara sailing on practically the same dates to very similar Caribbean destinations and the price was virtually identical for a standard balcony cabin. It will be interesting to compare the two lines.

Here's my two cents: it is pretty tough for a company to compete today with only two ships to its name, and both badly in need of real renovation. (BTW, the main dining room now appeared to me to be an awful hodgepodge of styles, particularly the ugly mural, but the new mattresses and pool deck furniture were fabulous.)

We wanted to book a 2015 cruise, but the Australian charter took a significant portion of nice sailing weather dates. What does this charter bode for the future??

However, the very best for any cruise line would be: whatever happens, stay honest.

Captain Carlson gave a good example of this when the Quest was on fire in 2012, but unfortunately he retired.

He would have been a good teacher for some people at the headoffice, who don't understand this important point. The office even does not answer simple questions.

I made several cruises with Azamara and unfortunately the quality is decreasing indeed. And when people are not honest anymore, I won't come back.

Still waiting for that honest answer and only after that I will be happy to see some very nice officers, especially at the Quest, again.

I'm convinced that a non-communicating and dishonest company can't survive and that's great!

Here's my two cents: it is pretty tough for a company to compete today with only two ships to its name, and both badly in need of real renovation. (BTW, the main dining room now appeared to me to be an awful hodgepodge of styles, particularly the ugly mural, but the new mattresses and pool deck furniture were fabulous.)

We wanted to book a 2015 cruise, but the Australian charter took a significant portion of nice sailing weather dates. What does this charter bode for the future??

Interesting comments.

We're hoping the "mural" will accidently be included in one of the auctions and disappear, though bids would certainly be scarce. :)

"However, the very best for any cruise line would be: whatever happens, stay honest.

Captain Carlson gave a good example of this when the Quest was on fire in 2012, but unfortunately he retired.

He would have been a good teacher for some people at the headoffice, who don't understand this important point. The office even does not answer simple questions.

I made several cruises with Azamara and unfortunately the quality is decreasing indeed. And when people are not honest anymore, I won't come back.

Still waiting for that honest answer and only after that I will be happy to see some very nice officers, especially at the Quest, again."

I'm convinced that a non-communicating and dishonest company can't survive and that's great!

Sometimes dishonest answers mean they dont have any info and are guessing..

Jancruz1

However, the very best for any cruise line would be: whatever happens, stay honest.

Still waiting for that honest answer and only after that I will be happy to see some very nice officers, especially at the Quest, again.

Can you explain what quality you feel has decreased on Azamara, and from what year to what year? (Food? Shore Excursions? Poor upkeep of the ships? Other?), and be more specific on what they have done/said that is dishonest? Was this specifically on Quest or Journey, or both ships?

Thanks.

Ofcourse I can explain.

1. The quality of the food is okay but has been much better. And variation is a forgotten word now.

2. Some of the best open wines are not available anymore.

3. The AzAmazing events may be good sometimes. I don't know. But ours on Crete was really bad. You can read about it elsewhere.

4. The officers have always been very visible and approacheble. This spring at the Quest that had not changed. They were great. But not so this summer at the Journey.

5. At the Journey there was no good atmosphere this time, though the CD (Eric) was good.

6. The fanatic way they tried to sell wine-packages at the very first day to passengers of the Journey who did not know about the already included wines is disgusting in my opinion.

7. The chief of the reception at the Journey was unfriendly to say the least. I never had this experience at the Quest.

8. Also due to the higher prizes since this summer, the prize-quality ratio has decreased dramatically.

The most important thing however is that I don't like to be betrayed by the head office. When Azamara makes me a promise, they should not break it and they also should not lie about it. After this, I wrote an email to the head-office, but they did never react.

Since July, I'm still waiting for an honest answer and only after that, I will consider coming back at the Quest. Defenitely not at the Journey, though two cruises on this ship were very good and pleasant in 2011.

Unfortunately this has changed.

Okay the coffee was still very good and at the Quest even the crew who served it was marvelous. At least something positive.

Sorry but I have to take you to task here. I, a true Azamara fan, have a cruise booked for this November on Seabourn. There was an Azamara sailing on practically the same dates to very similar Caribbean destinations and the price was virtually identical for a standard balcony cabin. It will be interesting to compare the two lines.

I'd be fascinated to know which cruise and what the costs are. I cannot see any cruise with the lines I've mentioned that have a price that is anywhere near Azamara's. I look at all my emails from cruise booking agents and all adverts in the weekend papers.

Since I started this thread a couple of months ago I have made two voyages on the Journey, Including the Oct. 1 President's Cruise. Our experience this year has been just as good as last year, although this year we booked a club continent suite. Yes, I did miss the harpist, and there is no music in the Discoveries Lounge before dinner. The art auctions were not really much of a bother, and although they did take up some time of the activities in the Cabaret and some wall space around Mosaic Lounge they were fairly easy to avoid. Maybe they will generate some much needed income for Azamara. The ships may be old by cruise industry standards, but they are a nice size, and the quality of the seagoing personnel are still the best in the industry.

Since I started this thread a couple of months ago I have made two voyages on the Journey. Our experience this year has been just as good as last year,

Thanks for posting. :)

Archived