Beverage Package Price Increase On Board

pmfm

Hi Cruise Junky,

Assuming both guests desire the upgrade, I certainly would advise guests to make the purchase in advance. IMO, it's a no brainer. With that said, there are a handful of situations where it becomes tricky (i.e. when only 1 guest desires the upgrade). At that point, it becomes a personal choice.

I would think if even one person plans to upgrade, it makes sense for both to do it anyway in advance.

For only one person to upgrade on board, it would cost $35 more for a seven night cruise. You can pay only $70 extra ahead of time to upgrade both guests. Your only saving $35 by waiting to upgrade a single person on board. I guess $35 is $35, but if it were me, I wouldn't bother to wait and upgrade only one person on board. There is also a chance the price could go up before sailing also.

I call Celebrity and was able to upgrade just one person in the cabin from classic to premium today for our next two cruises. If I wasn't able to just upgrade myself I was considering upgrading us both in advance because the onboard price for just one person was not that much less than upgrading both of us in advance, even though my hubby doesn't care much for alcohol.

Thanks Celebrity!

I spoke to a very helpful person called Nicky today in the UK she could not upgrade but commented that there was an email a couple of days ago and one of her colleague is looking in to it and will be back on Monday.

I have already emailed the website customer service address and intend to call the uk tomorrow.

I think everyone from the uk should send an email and try to call tomorrow to let them know that there could be rather a lot of unhappy Brits on their ships in the next few weeks!

Have emailed Celebrity today and shall be ringing them again tomorrow. We tried to upgrade immediately we booked in May but were told then we could only do it once on board. It would be outrageous if we have been manipulated into paying the higher price. They cannot discriminate between their customers!!

I phoned Captain's Club, who usually can figure out how to do anything, and they could not up grade me. After a wait on hold I was put through to the "Enhancements" desk where she happily upgraded me (not DH) to the Premium Pkg. Yesterday when I first inquired, they were going to put me through to the "Resolutions" desk so it seems that the regular CSR's do not have the ability to make the upgrade:confused:

Colrabi I definitely paid it yesterday on the phone and have the invoice in my emails. And Scotland is definitely still part of UK at the moment lol Lou I replied to your posting on our roll call.

I spoke to a lovely lady called Hayley who then put me through the to person who took the payment.

Thankyou Allison, I shall ringing them again tomorrow. And what are the chances I wonder of actually speaking to Hayley!!

Unfortunately no. In order to purchase in advance, both guests must purchase the upgrade.

Dang it (self censored from the word I wanted to use)! I, like many, wanted to see what drinks were costing before upgrading. My wife barely drinks as it is, But while pre purchasing both upgrades costs $22.50 a day, that isn't bad compared to $17.25 a day for one on board though. It's a huge difference (a beer a day!). Lose lose, is how I'd phrase it.

I guess my new plan is to upgrade halfway through the cruise instead of the entire cruise. I end up saving money and use my OBC.

What concerns me the most is that soon I wouldn't be surprised if all cabin members need to buy packages like on RCCL. :eek:

I have just upgraded on the phone for our cruise in 2 weeks time. Prices will change on Infinity on Monday 30th. I only upgraded not my hubby and this was ok. but remember I am in UK and rules may be different elsewhere. Allison

Just out of interest Allison, did you pay extra for the Classic drinks package or was it included in the price of your cruise. Just wondering if that's why you were able to upgrade to Premium package prior to sailing.

Hi Everyone,

I agree that the best department to contact for Beverage Package upgradess, is the Enhancement Dept. I've noticed numerous favorable comments from CC members. Their phone number is 800-722-5941.

I hope this is helpful !

Andy, I never doubt the accuracy of your information. I will just say that a few weeks ago, when I called Celebrity to upgrade a beverage package (from Classic to Premium) that we'd just selected under the current promo, I was asked whether both my spouse and I wanted to upgrade. Since we did, I did not pursue whether it was possible for only one person to upgrade, but the question posed to me suggests that it is (or might be, or who knows!! :)).

With Celebrity, it's always worth asking! (Again, I'm not doubting you, just recounting that recent conversation.)

Hi Turtles06,

Thank you for your kind comments. Although Celebrity's "stated policy" is they will not upgrade 1 Guest in advance, I totally agree that it never hurts to ask. Why not ? You have nothing to lose :)

Edited by Host Andy

The fine print at the bottom also states:

"... Packages are sold on a per cruise basis, are not sold on a per day or any other basis, ..." :confused: :confused:

Does this mean that if you purchase on board, but don't purchase on the first day, you still have to pay for every day?

In other words, if you are on a 7 day cruise, and wanted to wait until after day 3, because the first couple of days were port intensive, thinking you would only have to pay for 4 days. But if if is sold on a "per cruise basis" you would have to pay for 7 days?

O,r is this just how they word it to mean that once you decide to purchase a package, you have to pay for all for the remaining days? :confused: :confused: :confused:

The fine print at the bottom also states:

"... Packages are sold on a per cruise basis, are not sold on a per day or any other basis, ..." :confused: :confused:

Does this mean that if you purchase on board, but don't purchase on the first day, you still have to pay for every day?

:

Host Andy,

If it isn't too much to ask, can you follow up about this too, pretty please?

Just reading this in my hotel in Rome. Getting ready to board reflection in a few hours. Enraged is an understatement if this is the case. We were denied the free drinks package for 123go because we were from the uk. Went to purchase the package several months ago when the dollar/pound rate was 1.63, but then they changed it to 1.52 (I think it was), so we decided to wait till we get on board because the rate has gone back up towards the 1.60 mark. ( celebrity still using 1.52 to convert to pounds tho.). Really feel like telling them where to stick their package. The single dollar notes we had to give in tips will now probably go toward she increase!!!

Hi UK cruisers

I have just spent 30 minutes on the phone to Celebrity. Was told that UK cruisers had to upgrade from the Classic to the Premium on board. Informed them about the different charges if you buy before you go and buy on board. Was told that that was not the case and Claire knew nothing about it. I then informed her that I had a flier telling me this. Was then passed to Sharon and again was told that I would need to upgrade on board. Informed her of the different charges, so she then spoke to her supervisor and came back and told me that I could upgrade before I sail and the cost for the 14 nights was £106.26 per person. Now confirmed on my invoice.

Hope this helps fellow UK cruisers.

Looking forward to my first cocktail.

Hi UK cruisers

I have just spent 30 minutes on the phone to Celebrity. Was told that UK cruisers had to upgrade from the Classic to the Premium on board. Informed them about the different charges if you buy before you go and buy on board. Was told that that was not the case and Claire knew nothing about it. I then informed her that I had a flier telling me this. Was then passed to Sharon and again was told that I would need to upgrade on board. Informed her of the different charges, so she then spoke to her supervisor and came back and told me that I could upgrade before I sail and the cost for the 14 nights was £106.26 per person. Now confirmed on my invoice.

Hope this helps fellow UK cruisers.

Looking forward to my first cocktail.

Thanks for that Jenny.

It's about time that Celebrity upgraded the information for call centre staff.

Failure to do so is giving Celebrity a bad name.

Why is it Supervisors are the only ones who have the latest information?

I was put on hold when I tried to get the Classic package, when I tried to add it. I was told NO, until I told them I had been sent an email informing our cruise qualified!

It was added at no extra charge to me.

Just reading this in my hotel in Rome. Getting ready to board reflection in a few hours. Enraged is an understatement if this is the case. We were denied the free drinks package for 123go because we were from the uk. Went to purchase the package several months ago when the dollar/pound rate was 1.63, but then they changed it to 1.52 (I think it was), so we decided to wait till we get on board because the rate has gone back up towards the 1.60 mark. ( celebrity still using 1.52 to convert to pounds tho.). Really feel like telling them where to stick their package. The single dollar notes we had to give in tips will now probably go toward she increase!!!

So you intend to punish the workers over a corporate policy they had nothing to do with? Makes sense to me. :rolleyes:

I board my first Celebrity cruise in 15 years in a few days. Since booking the cruise I have been following the never ending promotions and changes that flow form the corporate brain trust. If their plan is to attract customers they are severly missing the "boat" with confusing and conflicting promotions and rule changes.

It only seems fair that if I have made final payment there should be no rule changes. Up until final payment at least I have the option to cancel is the new rules don't agree with me.

I am very excited about the cruise but the behavior of the corporaqte office has me wondering if they actually have a strategic plan other than throwing things up against the wall and seeing what sticks.:eek:

I had planned on upgrading on board part way through the 18 day cruise just to try some new drinks. This would have put a few more pennies in Celebrities pocket. If the upgrade is more than one "premium" drink I will probably settle for the classic. Result, no additional revenue for Celebrity.

The probablem with rule changes like these is that revenue projections are made based on the assumption that people's behavior won't change. That is rarely the case; making the revenue projections total fiction.

Just my $.02 :)

Edited by gilladj

I board my first Celebrity cruise in 15 years in a few days. Since booking the cruise I have been following the never ending promotions and changes that flow form the corporate brain trust. If their plan is to attract customers they are severly missing the "boat" with confusing and conflicting promotions and rule changes.

It only seems fair that if I have made final payment there should be no rule changes. Up until final payment at least I have the option to cancel is the new rules don't agree with me.

I am very excited about the cruise but the behavior of the corporate office has me wondering if they actually have a strategic plan other than throwing things up against the wall and seeing what sticks.:eek:

I had planned on upgrading on board part way through the 18 day cruise just to try some new drinks. This would have put a few more pennies in Celebrities pocket. If the upgrade is more than one "premium" drink I will probably settle for the classic. Result, no additional revenue for Celebrity.

The probablem with rule changes like these is that revenue projections are made based on the assumption that people's behavior won't change. That is rarely the case; making the revenue projections total fiction.

Just my $.02 :)

That's what I've been thinking also.

I am now on the infinity. We upgraded at a bar and as far as I know only were charged the difference ($57 to $68). At least that's what I was told. Tbh it was v messy. I wasn't given a final bill, only told that his manager would have to put it though. I'm not convinced as yet but it didn't seem worth asking as the bar man didn't seem the most knowledgeable. I'll find out in the next few days I'm sure.

Update for all you Brits that are looking to upgrade your classic to premium package......

After reading the threads, went to upgrade for our 20th October Sailing and was told outright no by the lady on the phone, I kindly asked if I could be put through to enhancements and got to speak to Dorothy and within 5 mins had upgraded both myself and partner to the package at the $11.50 rate.

I was also asked if it was for just one or both of us. It is already showing on My Celebrity so has gone through.

Moral of the story, do not take the initial no for an answer.

DEAR CELEBRITY: THIS WHOLE SITUATION IS JUST PLAIN RIDICULOUS!!

(1) Yes you can

(2) No you can't

(3) One person can

(4) Both persons must

(5) Upgrade ahead of sailing

(6) Wait to upgrade onboard

(7) It may cost more

(8) It may cost less

(9) This person said this....

(10) Another person said that.....

Auuughhhhhhhhhh!!! Doesn't Celebrity even REALIZE how poorly this is being handled?

I am sailing in two weeks. I am disgusted with this whole situation, and probably will not upgrade either of our packages. :(