Power Surge Aboard Ship

waltd

Pia has just posted that the Royal had a power surge last night that knocked out her power cord to her computer. What if anything can you do or bring with you that would keep this from happening? What other electronics could be compromised due to a major power surge aboard ship?

Thanks

I always plug my electronics into a travel surge suppressor (which doubles as a travel plug adapter) when on a ship - it's not like shoreside power, the voltage is anything but constant - you can actually see the brightness of the lights fluctuating.

I know it's not as good as the bigger suppressors that I use on land, but it's better than nothing. And I unplug everything when not in use.

I'd think laptops, ipads, ipods, tablets, smartphones would all be vulnerable.

Edited by jollyjones

Pia has just posted that the Royal had a power surge last night that knocked out her power cord to her computer. What if anything can you do or bring with you that would keep this from happening? What other electronics could be compromised due to a major power surge aboard ship?

Thanks

Radio Shack has a pretty decent one; $ 9.08 + Tax

Dual Outlet

Dual USB

LED light

< one nano second response tme

Cat. No. 918 Joule

We use the same. It stays in our luggage year round so we don't forget it. We use it on cruises, in hotels, at airports, on amtrak, etc.

We use it for charging any devices (phones, laptops, cameras, etc).

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

Thanks, we just ordered one! We always take a surge protector. It it is one of those big and bulky kind with a cord. The Belkin is wonderful.

Thanks again for sharing the link :D

Cheers, Denise

What is curious is that we used to use a surge protector on cruises but returned to our cabin on the Sapphire Princess one day to find a crewmember in our cabin confiscating it. It had been setting off alarms on the bridge. We were given a power strip (non-surge protecting) to use for the duration of the cruise, and ours was returned to us at the end of the month long cruise, but we've just taken extension cords or power strips with us since then.

Hmmm...

What is curious is that we used to use a surge protector on cruises but returned to our cabin on the Sapphire Princess one day to find a crewmember in our cabin confiscating it. It had been setting off alarms on the bridge. We were given a power strip (non-surge protecting) to use for the duration of the cruise, and ours was returned to us at the end of the month long cruise, but we've just taken extension cords or power strips with us since then.

Hmmm...

Just a possibility --

Ground Fault Detectors were set too sensitive.

Saw it happen when I was a Field Service Rep.

Sort of like the Halo Metal Detectors that were used by the TSA.

Get through Security at one Check Point;

however, "trip" the detector at another Check Point with the same

coins in your pocket

Hmmm...

We only use our Belkin when in our room with it. We unplug it and put it away when not in use (we put everything away that is not being charged). I'd say we use it a total of 8 hours per 7 days of cruising.

I'm surprised they took it. Ours has never been a problem. I would never use something that was non-surge protecting on a ship (or anywhere for that matter).

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

Hmmm...

I thought I had read about someone having such an experience & thanks for confirming my recollection. I shared Pia's problem on our upcoming Royal cruise roll call & now many are bringing travel sized surge protectors. I use the Belkin device others are mentioning on all of our cruises without any problems.

Just a possibility --

Ground Fault Detectors were set too sensitive.

If a protector caused a ground fault detector to trip, then the protector was probably on a path of self destruction. That, in some rare cases, can cause a fire.

If lights are changing intensity, then voltage is changing by as much as ten or twenty volts. Meanwhile 120 volt appliances such as laptops and mobile phone chargers consider all voltages from 85 to 265 volts as ideal. IOW those near zero voltage changes that cause light intensity changes are near zero. Ideal for all portable appliances.

What does a protector do? It ignores all voltages less than 330 volts. Of course, readers want confirmation. That let-through voltage numbers should be printed on every box. Unfortunately most who recommend a protector also ignore that number. It means a protector does nothing until voltages exceed 330 volts. How often does that happen? On a ship - never.

Unfortunately some observe an appliance failure. Then immediately assume it was a surge.

Many simply convert hearsay into a fact. Instead, demand numbers. Significant intensity changes in light bulbs means 120 volts may have increased to 130 volts. That is well below what all portable appliances call ideal (less than 265 volts). Protectors completely ignore that trivial voltage variations. A protector only leaks so much current as to trip a GF detector when it is failing; may even become a potential human safety threat.

That confiscated protector is best disposed of as defective.

Edited by westom

I can't recommend one of these highly enough!!! Mine stays in my carry on luggage in the closet so that I NEVER leave home without it. Belkin and Amex... :D

Edited by Gig103

Hmmm...

Mine was removed, and left with a note, that we were not allowed to use such devices. Th e cabin steward later told us as well that we couldn't use it. No other substitution was suggested, and we didn't think to ask. This was on the Caribbean earlier this year.

Which model .... the 5 watt or the 10 watt?
The 10 watt model is supposed to be able to charge iPads and other devices that require 2.1 Amps rather than 1.0 Amp. Some reports have said that model doesn't charge iPads from the USB ports but I have no experience. We use one if the 5 watt models.

The Mediabridge Portable Surge Protector is a good choice.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Portable-Protector-Output-Charger/dp/tech-data/B007N6N1NC/ref=de_a_smtd

Product Features

USB / AC Wall Charger to use with your iPad, Cell Phones, MP3 Players

Apple iPad, iPhone, iPod. iTouch - This charger will charge your iPad or up to 2 iPhones at full power in AC mode.

Featuring Fold-Away AC prongs for easy storage and On-the-Go Portability

The 10 watt model is supposed to be able to charge iPads and other devices that require 2.1 Amps rather than 1.0 Amp. Some reports have said that model doesn't charge iPads from the USB ports but I have no experience. We use one if the 5 watt models.
I have the older model. It will charge two iPads at the same time, but very slowly. I would recommend the newer model for iPads.

Hmmm...

Would you remember what brand you were using when the crewmember confiscated it?

Thanks