FDR ? - Hot breakfast w/ concierge room?

Post it

My TA just sent me an email from Oceania re.this topic,and itsays NO HOT BREAKFAST IN CONCIERGE LEVEL.This makes me very unhappy as you can see from above I asked about this TWICE ,,,BEFORE I booked it.

Am now thinking of either canceling,upgrading..not sure.AS said above it is a :"dealbreaker"..:

Sorry to cause such a stir,everyone has their own opinions,it seems.:confused:

No need to cancel over what seems to be incorrect info from your TA. I have always had hot breakfast in concierge, no big deal. There is a menu card you place on your door or you just call in the morning. There are hot & cold cereals, eggs, bacon, sausage, omelette, muffins, toast, English muffins, croissants, fruit, jams, jellies, tea, coffee, milk, juice, condiments all served on white linen. As stated by another poster this was still in effect as of YESTERDAY. However I have not seen waffles or French toast but I bet you can ask for them.

I really feel bad, we were only in a 10k veranda cabin and got cold gruel and week old bread!! Thanks these trips are port intensive and we can get off quick in each place and run to Mickie D's for a real breakfast! Next time Celebrity, I heard a rumor that EVEN in a inside room you are allowed some eggs!!

I really feel bad, we were only in a 10k veranda cabin and got cold gruel and week old bread!! Thanks these trips are port intensive and we can get off quick in each place and run to Mickie D's for a real breakfast!

I hope this an attempt at sarcasm:confused:

I really feel bad, we were only in a 10k veranda cabin and got cold gruel and week old bread!! Thanks these trips are port intensive and we can get off quick in each place and run to Mickie D's for a real breakfast! Next time Celebrity, I heard a rumor that EVEN in a inside room you are allowed some eggs!!

In post #9 you stated you were in an A1 which is Concierge level so if you order cold gruel it was your choice:rolleyes:

Yes, you are right however this policy really is a joke. Oceania is my first choice if I like the trip and can afford it, I tell my friends to go with them if they can. my next thip os an OV , like the last. On the last I got upsell from OV to A1 for 400$, and just to be clear I took it for the cabin location, not to escape the gruel!!!

A fairly lavish breakfast is always available in the GDR (baby lamb chops anyone?) and there's a full breakfast buffet and great outdoor tables at Terrace.

I agree that it would be expected that a premium cruise line would deliver a hot breakfast to all level of passengers. OTOH I can't imagine that its a deal breaker if one has get oneself all the way up to deck 12 to get some eggs, if that's what you need for breakfast.

Certainly no reason to go running to Mickey D's (unless you really want that McGriddle).

What's the big attraction to the room service breakfast? Are you all eating in your underwear or otherwise doing something you can't do in public?

A fairly lavish breakfast is always available in the GDR (baby lamb chops anyone?) and there's a full breakfast buffet and great outdoor tables at Terrace.

I agree that it would be expected that a premium cruise line would deliver a hot breakfast to all level of passengers. OTOH I can't imagine that its a deal breaker if one has get oneself all the way up to deck 12 to get some eggs, if that's what you need for breakfast.

Certainly no reason to go running to Mickey D's (unless you really want that McGriddle).

What's the big attraction to the room service breakfast? Are you all eating in your underwear or otherwise doing something you can't do in public?

I agree 100%, I think it's fun to make a joke out of a policy that is a joke. I also do not go on vacation so I can eat in my room for any meal. What it is, is I just feel disappointed in a line I really like.

this made me laugh!!! The "picture" you paint is priceless!!! I, like you, go out of my cabin to eat breakfast...but that is my choice...and I understand...from this thread ...that having a "hot" breakfast in your cabin is important! TBH...we don't ever order "room service"...not sure why...just not "our cup of tea"...get it??? :D And the fact that O can actually serve a truly "hot" breakfast" after all the travel it has to go through is great!!! But IF I wanted it...I would have thought it would be available for ALL guests. Including those of us in the "cheap seats"!!!! :cool: LuAnn

There are many people who do not find it physically easy to "just go up to deck 12" to get a hot breakfast as soon as they wake up and are hungry. Lots of people wake up with significant aches and pains and medicines take time to work before they can move around at all.

I agree with the first sentiment of yours that I quoted, i.e. that a premium cruise line ought to be able to deliver a hot breakfast to all levels of passengers. It could be a limited menu of hot items in the less expensive cabins perhaps, but there ought to be at least a few hot items available for breakfast at all stateroom levels.

There are many people who do not find it physically easy to "just go up to deck 12" to get a hot breakfast as soon as they wake up and are hungry. Lots of people wake up with significant aches and pains and medicines take time to work before they can move around at all.

I agree with the first sentiment of yours that I quoted, i.e. that a premium cruise line ought to be able to deliver a hot breakfast to all levels of passengers. It could be a limited menu of hot items in the less expensive cabins perhaps, but there ought to be at least a few hot items available for breakfast at all stateroom levels.

for making that point...it helps me understand why many can't have a hot breakfast out of their cabins....even if they wanted to. I do so agree that this "benefit"...which seems to be available on so many other cruise lines...should be available to ALL the passengers on O. LuAnn

[Thank you] for making that point...it helps me understand why many can't have a hot breakfast out of their cabins....even if they wanted to. I do so agree that this "benefit"...which seems to be available on so many other cruise lines...should be available to ALL the passengers on O. LuAnn

You are welcome, and thank you for your comment, too. :)

Excellent point. We are still able to get up and move about for breakfast. I have a "thing" about eating where I sleep so we do not eat in the cabin. However, I don't understand why I can get a steak from the 24 hour menu at 6 am but not a hot breakfast if I so desired it. This is supposedly an upscale line so I would assume a hot breakfast in your cabin would fall in those parameters for those who desire it.

This horse has been beaten to death on many threads and I am perplexed as to why this issue keeps coming up.

Obviously O could offer hot breakfast in all cabin categories but chooses not to.

They are aware that many would like the option = FDR himself reads these boards

But they still choose not to

Why? Just because they can.

Because every cruise line decides how it wants to operate, what amenities or privileges it wants to provide at what price point and we can all "vote with our feet" if we don't like how the line structures its offerings. The cruise line has a right to decide how it operates. Obviously the lack of a hot breakfast below CC level is not causing O any problems -- the cheapest cabins fill up fastest. Why on earth would they change the policy?

If a hot breakfast in the cabin is IMPORTANT to you -- so important that you would bemoan the lack of it -- you need to book a CC cabin or above on O or choose a different line that offers you that amenity in a cabin you are willing to book. You have a choice.

Same is true about any other amenity on any cruise line. Decide what you really must have and book accordingly -- whether it's fees in specialty restaurants, included wine or alcohol -- same thing applies. But don't expect the cruise line to change its policies because of something YOU cannot get because YOU choose a cabin category that doesn't offer it.

I'd like a butler in an Outside. Not gonna happen. So I book a PH.

I'd like free use of the spa deck in a Outside. Not gonna happen. So I book CC or higher.

Same thing applies to a hot breakfast in room.

As an example, I just booked a fabulous hotel in Venice for a pre cruise stay. My first choice hotel did not include breakfast and required prepayment. I booked my second choice, because it offers a sumptuous buffet breakfast and no prepayment. I voted with my feet because those things were important to me. I did not call the first hotel and say -- Hey, why aren't you offering included breakfast -- why must I pay upfront -- you are a luxury hotel -- other hotels give me breakfast and don't make me pay in advance. Booking a cruise is no different. Choose the business model that suits your wants and needs.

Okay, we do use room service but ONLY on days when we have early tours. Otherwise, we love breakfast in the GDR. We used to always go to Terrace but then we took my mother on a cruise and she preferred a sit down breakfast, and we decided that for once she was right!

Love me those lamb chops ... never thought of asking to have them brought to our suite.

Mura

Okay, we do use room service but ONLY on days when we have early tours. Otherwise, we love breakfast in the GDR. We used to always go to Terrace but then we took my mother on a cruise and she preferred a sit down breakfast, and we decided that for once she was right!

Love me those lamb chops ... never thought of asking to have them brought to our suite.

Mura

My mother was right ONCE too. LOL

Agreed.

Not to mention the lack of space for a decent breakfast in cabins below PH anyway.

The only meal I would consider having in the cabin would be from a specialty restaurant on an O class ship when I am in the PH (rarely) and:

1 Couldn't get an extra SR reservation in the restaurant I wanted

2 Came home from the day in port too tired to properly clean up and get dressed and want to make it a short evening. Then I might dine in my robe :D

As always - YMMV.

Excellent point. We are still able to get up and move about for breakfast. I have a "thing" about eating where I sleep so we do not eat in the cabin. However, I don't understand why I can get a steak from the 24 hour menu at 6 am but not a hot breakfast if I so desired it. This is supposedly an upscale line so I would assume a hot breakfast in your cabin would fall in those parameters for those who desire it.

Thank you for your comments, too. :)

...Because every cruise line decides how it wants to operate, what amenities or privileges it wants to provide at what price point and we can all "vote with our feet" if we don't like how the line structures its offerings. The cruise line has a right to decide how it operates. Obviously the lack of a hot breakfast below CC level is not causing O any problems -- the cheapest cabins fill up fastest. Why on earth would they change the policy?...

Laraine, you nailed it. Anyone who is familiar with the booking trends on Oceania knows that Concierge -- Category A1 through A4 -- is the toughest sell. The cheap cabins and the most expensive cabins go fast, and often the only thing left is in the A category. It was this way when we reserved our first Oceania cruise in 2006, and it's been that way ever since.

Also, everyone familiar with Cruise Critic knows that one of the most popular subjects is, "Should I book concierge?"; and one of the most often repeated answers is, "It's not worth the money."

Oceania has a right to place cabins in different categories and charge different fares. Often they're based on location -- the cabins in the highest decks and closest to the middle are more expensive than lower cabins nearer to the front. Balcony cabins are more expensive that Ocean View, Ocean View are more expensive than Inside.

Oceania has chosen to create a premium level, which they call Concierge, at a premium price. Now, all they have to do is create "perks" that make it worth while for folks to say it IS worth the money. The "A" and "B" cabins are precisely the same size. That doesn't help. There is a slight difference in location, but that's not enough in itself. So, on the "O" class ships, they created a Concierge Lounge. They offer extra reservations on the "R" class ships. They include a bottle of sparkling wine, eligible to be traded for a house red or white. They provide access to the Spa Deck. They include Bulgari toiletries. Don't forget the cashmere lap robes, and the limited free clothes pressing...

But, that's not enough. It's still a tough sell. So, they differentiate in the breakfast service. Apparently, it's really important to some folks. If it's that important, they should book the more expensive category, and that helps solve Oceania's problem. It's incredibly amusing, however, that the folks who seem to consider the hot breakfast really important are also folks who only book the "cheap seats".

There are some possible solutions. Imagine yourself as FDR, and make the choice: 1) include the same breakfast service in all cabins and make it even more unlikely that someone will book Concierge; 2) include the same breakfast service in all cabins and raise the price in the lower categories to lessen the difference between the categories; 3) include the same breakfast service in all categories but lower the Concierge price, cutting into revenues; 4) leave the current system alone.

Remember, every action has consequences...

Don- now you will make it even harder for me to get my category B cabin, as I am one of those who will only pay extra for a larger cabin as that is the only amenity I really care about. I did have a lot of fun in the old days, however, threatening to bring along my own refrigerator as the difference to upgrade to an A more than paid for it. Even O saw that advertising a fridge as an amenity was too ridiculous to continue.

There are some possible solutions. Imagine yourself as FDR, and make the choice: 1) include the same breakfast service in all cabins and make it even more unlikely that someone will book Concierge; 2) include the same breakfast service in all cabins and raise the price in the lower categories to lessen the difference between the categories; 3) include the same breakfast service in all categories but lower the Concierge price, cutting into revenues; 4) leave the current system alone.

Remember, every action has consequences...

How true

Maybe they should go back to the old days & eliminate Concierge Cat cabins

Just have them as regular Cabins & Suites (PH+)

Lyn

Archived