VISA & Government Shutdown

bfox13

We reserved a cruise just last week and our applications for our Brazilian VISAs was received at the consulate today. We sail December 8 from Rio De Janeiro. If we do not get our VISA's on time and we cannot take this trip will our trip cancellation insurance reimburse us?

We reserved a cruise just last week and our applications for our Brazilian VISAs was received at the consulate today. We sail December 8 from Rio De Janeiro. If we do not get our VISA's on time and we cannot take this trip will our trip cancellation insurance reimburse us?

As was indicated above, this visa is granted by the Brazilian gov't, not the U.S. one. You'll only be in trouble if you don't already have a U.S. passport to put that visa *in*.

As was indicated above, this visa is granted by the Brazilian gov't, not the U.S. one. You'll only be in trouble if you don't already have a U.S. passport to put that visa *in*.

Thank you so much. My stupidity. I sent all of the needed application stuff to some place in Chicago per Oceania's instructions and thought this was a government agency. Sorry for my stupid question - we are not very experienced travelers!

Don't worry about it. We are all here to help out each other and sometimes when we are getting ready to travel we are so busy thinking about so many details that our thoughts might get jumbled. Enjoy your cruise! And don't hestitate to ask future questions.

While the others are correct and a US Gov. shutdown should not affect Brazil but, to answer the second portion of your question regarding insurance covering you if you don't get your Visa; about a year ago there were issues with Brazil issuing Visas and people were concerned over getting Visas for cruises and the consensus at that time regarding missing the ship was that there was no recourse and that insurance would not cover a situation like that or getting your US Passport during a Gov. shutdown.

You have 2 months to get your Visa so you should be fine in this case.

We got both of our Brazilian visas back in a jiffy last year (using Miami consulate). Maybe 2 weeks? It was surprisingly quick and they even had to mail DH's back because he forgot to sign his brand new passport. They did so on their dime, leaving our return envelope intact in the "package." Quite suprised at how easy it was.

Enjoy Rio and hope you are spending a few extra days there - it's FANTASTIC.

We got both of our Brazilian visas back in a jiffy last year (using Miami consulate). Maybe 2 weeks? It was surprisingly quick and they even had to mail DH's back because he forgot to sign his brand new passport. They did so on their dime, leaving our return envelope intact in the "package." Quite suprised at how easy it was.

Enjoy Rio and hope you are spending a few extra days there - it's FANTASTIC.

We just went to the Brazilian consulate in Miami on Tuesday (10/1/2013) of this week. We waited for about 2 hours. The Miami consulate accepts visa applications only between 10:00 AM and noon. Provided you are in the room at 12:00 they will accept your application. If you are not there by 12:00 you will have to come back. We arrived about 10:45 and were called to the visa desk (you get a number when you enter) about 12:45. The time spent at the window was about 7-10 minutes because I had done all of the paperwork previously, tediously following what was on the consulate website. The preparation was worth it since we saw many people turned away because they did not have the required paperwork or because they thought they could just walk in and buy the visa on the spot. Each consulate may have slightly different requirements so it pays to read the website and be prepared; there is a form to be filled out on the website as well and brought with you.

We provided the person accepting our application with a US Postal Office overnight mail envelope (the only kind they will accept) to return our visas/passports by mail. She said it would be mailed following 10 business days for processing. You can go back to pick up in person (between 3 PM and 4 PM each day) but we live in Jacksonville so that would be inconvenient for us. You can check on the status of your visa by returning to their website and use your name and date of birth in the "check visa status" to determine what is going on.

While I wouldn't say it was an easy process and I did sweat the details I am glad to have it out of the way. By the way, you must use the visa within 90 days of issuance or the website says the visa will become invalid. Then you would have to go through this process all over again. If you are going on the December 8, 2013 cruise from Rio de Janeiro (as we are) then this is the time to do it. Now on to the Argentinian website to pay their fee online!

I did sweat the details I am glad to have it out of the way

I'll bet that you ARE glad that all of that silly bureaucratic nonsense is out of the way. :mad:

We decided (in another thread) that I am a bit of an old fogey, so I don't mind telling you that South America was not always this difficult.

We sailed with Grace on one of their few itineraries to feature Rio, back when the Dollar was as sound as a Dollar, and the Grace Lines treated its' passengers like extended family.

081930.jpg082631.jpg They did all of the required paperwork, gratis naturally, and I remember a very glamorous midnight sailing from New York (ten miles from our front door!)

full-moon-rising--new-york-city-anthony-sacco.jpgHappily, our next Oceania sailing is also from NY at night!

map-lg-MNA140522.jpg

We just went to the Brazilian consulate in Miami on Tuesday (10/1/2013) of this week. We waited for about 2 hours. The Miami consulate accepts visa applications only between 10:00 AM and noon. Provided you are in the room at 12:00 they will accept your application. If you are not there by 12:00 you will have to come back. We arrived about 10:45 and were called to the visa desk (you get a number when you enter) about 12:45. The time spent at the window was about 7-10 minutes because I had done all of the paperwork previously, tediously following what was on the consulate website. The preparation was worth it since we saw many people turned away because they did not have the required paperwork or because they thought they could just walk in and buy the visa on the spot. Each consulate may have slightly different requirements so it pays to read the website and be prepared; there is a form to be filled out on the website as well and brought with you.

We provided the person accepting our application with a US Postal Office overnight mail envelope (the only kind they will accept) to return our visas/passports by mail. She said it would be mailed following 10 business days for processing. You can go back to pick up in person (between 3 PM and 4 PM each day) but we live in Jacksonville so that would be inconvenient for us. You can check on the status of your visa by returning to their website and use your name and date of birth in the "check visa status" to determine what is going on.

While I wouldn't say it was an easy process and I did sweat the details I am glad to have it out of the way. By the way, you must use the visa within 90 days of issuance or the website says the visa will become invalid. Then you would have to go through this process all over again. If you are going on the December 8, 2013 cruise from Rio de Janeiro (as we are) then this is the time to do it. Now on to the Argentinian website to pay their fee online!

Wish everyone could use the Houston brazilian consulate. So simple. Correct on filling out the forms correctly, bringing only a postal money order to pay and a copy of itinerary. They let you make an appointment and ours was for 9:15. Called us to the window at 9:10 took the papers and said sit down for a couple of minutes and at 9:20 they called us again and we had our passports with the Visas attached. Unbelievably easy.

By the way, no longer have to use the visa and enter Brazil within 90 days. Only for some other countries and NOT the US. We were on a World Cruise and didn't hit Brazil until 3 1/2 months after we left Ft. Lauderdale so no way to enter within 90 days. And, that was this year, 2013

I recently had gotten my passport renewed, and my Visa was in the old one which I sent in. I received my new passport, but not the old one, which I'll need when we go back for the Olympics in '16. Does the US typically return your old passport, too? This is my first time renewing. Plus, it's fun every now and again to flip through it and recall all the places I've been - mine was almost full (had 2 spots left)! It's been a good decade! :) I tried calling but due to the stupid gov't shutdown, wait times were really long and I didn't have time. I may try again tomorrow.

I recently had gotten my passport renewed, and my Visa was in the old one which I sent in. I received my new passport, but not the old one, which I'll need when we go back for the Olympics in '16. Does the US typically return your old passport, too?

Yes, I have all my own passports. My original passport is much more interesting than recent ones, since I flew to Europe as a young woman with a Eurailpass and got a passport stamp each time I crossed a border. I also had to change currencies frequently, and no ATM's. Ah, the good old days. :)

Yes, I have all my own passports. My original passport is much more interesting than recent ones, since I flew to Europe as a young woman with a Eurailpass and got a passport stamp each time I crossed a border. I also had to change currencies frequently, and no ATM's. Ah, the good old days. :)

Excellent! I"d miss that well-worn little blue book. Here's to the next 10 years! :D

I grew up on a farm in rural MA and never thought I'd be globetrotting. I remember being so bored. "Olden Europe" sounds fantastic! We met an 18 year old music prodigy on the tram at Heathrow who was heading to Paris from Texas and was just as wide eyed as could be! I'm trying to hold on to that excitement!!! (skydiving camp next week!) <--- OVERKILL?

Thank you!

I recently had gotten my passport renewed, and my Visa was in the old one which I sent in. I received my new passport, but not the old one, which I'll need when we go back for the Olympics in '16. Does the US typically return your old passport, too?

I received my new(US) passport several weeks ago. I was expecting the old one to be returned under separate mailing, but had given up hope when it didn't come. It came last week.

So, be patient. The US government is still returning the old passports.

Archived