PICTURES of Vision in Drydock.. Sept. 2013

Loyal2RCCL

A few friends of mine are currently working onboard Vision while in drydock and have sent me a few pictures.. I'll keep adding more as they're received:

Heavy Demolition

VI12.jpg

New "Ducktail" to be added to aft end

VI11.jpg

Work on the Bridge

VI10.jpg

Edited by Loyal2RCCL

Loyal, thanks for sharing. The screws and rudder assembly display the older style drive lines that have been replaced with azipods on the newer ships. Also found the grind marks on the side where the ducktail will be attached fascinating. They must have used some sort of automated machinery, or someone had some very tired and sore arms:eek:;)

Regardless, nice to see the 'ol girl' getting a redo - we enjoyed our time on her in Alaska a few years back.

Edited by tahoemc

Thanks for sharing the pictures and can't wait to see more! The duck tail is an interesting addition. Usually adding a duck tail during dry dock either means that additional weight is being added to the aft of the ship or the ship is known to have a lot of motion onboard. Did any of the other vision class ships receive one during their dry docks?

Thanks for sharing the pictures and can't wait to see more! The duck tail is an interesting addition. Usually adding a duck tail during dry dock either means that additional weight is being added to the aft of the ship or the ship is known to have a lot of motion onboard. Did any of the other vision class ships receive one during their dry docks?

Yes, I know that Rhapsody and Grandeur both had a sponson installed. I believe you are correct in that one of the reasons for the sponson was to handle additional weight being added as part of the retrofit.

Edited by clarea

Rhapsody, Splendour and Grandeur got the duck tail added, however I don't think Legend did. I know the larger ships all have them and one of the reasons they were added is to reduce the amount of wake the ship creates when entering harbors. I remember watching the making of the Voyager video and they said that without the ducktail, the wake created by the ship could damage small boats and piers.

I don't think any of these refurbed ships had significant weight added, so perhaps it's stricktly for aerodynamic reasons.

I don't think any of these refurbed ships had significant weight added, so perhaps it's stricktly for aerodynamic reasons.

Wouldn't that be hydrodynamic? The ducktail should reduce wake and help with certain rolling or yaw motions (I don't think it will do much for pitch, but I could be wrong).

Fascinating pictures, I love to see stuff like this. Way cool of you to get and share with us.