Government Shut Down - Affect on Travel

mikjr

Looks like the government shut down won't have that much affect on cruisers...

Airports, TSA, Border Patrol, US Customs, will remain open and operational

BUT... some destination tours might be closed... such as the Arizona Monument at Pearl Harbor Hawaii.

Here's a Q&A from Fox News:

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/09/30/questions-answered-impact-government-shutdown-on-travelers/

No passport applications will be processed

Not entirely correct:

From CNN:

Were you thinking more along the lines of a trip to France? If you don't already have a passport, you might have to bid that adieu -- you might not get your blue book in time. The last time the government threw a hissy fit, 200,000 applications for passports went unprocessed. Tourism and airline revenues reeled.

But according to the State Department's current shutdown plan, offices will remain open because they generate enough in fees to support their operation. Any offices located in a federal building affected by the shutdown, however, may not be able to open.

Not sure if this applies for the UK ESTA (visa waiver programme)

but.....

Phew! When we heard on the news this morning that Visas would not be issued because the Government shut down last night at midnight we had a panic in that we had still to apply for our ESTAs.

I was on the computer at 8.00am before US woke up and applied and we were approved!!

I know we shouldn't have left it this late but we were trying to get the most out of the two year waiver programme!!

Just hope the UK travellers have theirs, and this dispute does not last too long.

Not sure if this applies for the UK ESTA (visa waiver programme)

but.....

Phew! When we heard on the news this morning that Visas would not be issued because the Government shut down last night at midnight we had a panic in that we had still to apply for our ESTAs.

I was on the computer at 8.00am before US woke up and applied and we were approved!!

I know we shouldn't have left it this late but we were trying to get the most out of the two year waiver programme!!

Just hope the UK travellers have theirs, and this dispute does not last too long.

There may not be a problem if the application is straightforward because the ESTA can be issued automatically and instantly online. However, some authorisations are delayed and may require manual intervention [although, because it can still happen very quickly, perhaps not all] and I guess that they may be affected.

Sue

I am just SO glad that I got my passport updated this summer in preparation for our cruise next January. I had a passport but it was expiring within 3 months after our cruise. I just got my new one in the mail a couple of weeks ago.

Here's the official statement on the US State Dept's Passport website: http://travel.state.gov/passport/

• In the event of a lapse in appropriations, the Department of State will continue passport and visa operations as well as provide critical services to U.S. citizens overseas.
  • Processing time for passport applications remain at four weeks or less for routine service and two weeks door-to-door for expedited service.
  • Customers planning to travel within two weeks or requiring passports to obtain foreign visas should make an appointment at the nearest passport agency.
  • Please check back for updates to the situation.

Hi Everyone,

We realize this is a "hot topic" discussion, and the shutdown may affect cruising in some way. However, we are NOT a political discussion forum. and would appreciate keeping your comments related to cruising at all times. All other posts will be removed.

Thanks very much !

My roll call is thinking that it might impact any National Parks too, our cruise next week is going to Bar Harbour which i believe has Acadia National Park, so now we are unsure what might happen there, if the park will be open or not.

Sites including National Parks and Historic Sites such as Independence Hall are closed. If its under the control of the National Park Service it's closed.

Sites including National Parks and Historic Sites such as Independence Hall are closed. If its under the control of the National Park Service it's closed.

CNN reporting that a piecemeal CR my come for a House vote thus opening up shorex options . . . Acadia and USVI sites favored by cruisers being examples. Just the facts . . .

CNN reporting that a piecemeal CR my come for a House vote thus opening up shorex options . . . Acadia and USVI sites favored by cruisers being examples. Just the facts . . .

For that to happen requires legislation that would be agreed to by both the House and the Senate and signed by the President. Personally, I believe this will all be resolved within 48 hours or less and cruisers will be able to take their tours as planned. But, who knows?

My roll call is thinking that it might impact any National Parks too, our cruise next week is going to Bar Harbour which i believe has Acadia National Park, so now we are unsure what might happen there, if the park will be open or not.

My local news reported this morning that they are asking everyone (campers, hikers) to leave Acadia NP and the gates will be closed and locked. Public restrooms, etc, will be locked, too. That's happening today. If this continues, the park will not be open when you get here.

Ha... posted and then checked my FB page. Found a link to this:

"BAR HARBOR (AP) -- Visitors to Maine's Acadia National Park are expressing disappointment that the park has closed its gates because of the federal government shutdown during foliage season.

The national park that draws more than 2 million visitors each year has shut down the Park Loop Road, cutting off access to Cadillac Mountain and the Jordan Pond House Restaurant. Bathrooms and gates are closed, and campers are being asked to leave.

The shutdown comes on a day two cruise ships with a capacity of more than 5,200 passengers are visiting Bar Harbor."

We leave for Hawaii on Monday... fellow travelers on our Roll Call have already mentioned that Pearl Harbor, and the National Volcano parks will probably be closed.

My local news reported this morning that they are asking everyone (campers, hikers) to leave Acadia NP and the gates will be closed and locked. Public restrooms, etc, will be locked, too. That's happening today. If this continues, the park will not be open when you get here.

Too bad for fellow cruiser's , as it's a beautiful park, with some of the most spectactular views and vista's I've ever seen.

Luckly we were able to experience the park a couple weeks ago, a little ahead of the shut down

Srpilo

Just went through US Customs today between Canada and the US by car. The lines moved very slowly....and they were very very long. Hope that they resolve the shutdown fiasco quickly. At least I had a book to read while waiting to cross the border.

There may not be a problem if the application is straightforward because the ESTA can be issued automatically and instantly online. However, some authorisations are delayed and may require manual intervention [although, because it can still happen very quickly, perhaps not all] and I guess that they may be affected.

Sue

We are in Australia & my husband doesn't qualify for ESTA. We had to cancel our TA on Solstice departing Hawaii tomorrow when we were told about a visa processing backlog in the US. His visa was recommended by US consulate in Australia but it could take 6 months before it's processed :eek:

He applies 8wks ago.

in 2009 the visa was issued within 3wks

:(

i

Aussie57 - that's strange because we are Australians also, and I do my ESTA over the internet,with credit card details, and its done instantly. All I do is print the approved ESTA reply.

Last time I visited Hawaii, I did same, applying for ESTA over the internet, printed it, and when I arrived at Honolulu International Airport, showed my passport, and was never asked for the ESTA print out. I guess it shows up that I have applied & received approval, when they check my passport on arrival. We both have the latest ePassports. When you return to Australia, you stand in front of a camera, and I guess it recognises you. Great technology.

Always be respectful & polite to our Custom & Immigration personnel, they are an arduous job, and deserve our appreciation of the fine work they do. Of course, that goes for all overseas custom personnel.

Archived