After All the Discussion about HAL's New Wine Policy.....

sail7seas

Two points (I'm a big red wine fan as background - not to say I have a sensitive palate, just that I love reds):

A) not being able to bring wine aboard in ports is, for me, the most odious part of the new policy

B) four + bottles (vintage is important here, two of these were Wine Spectator's wines of the year on past lists and some will be difficult to find - like the Old Vines Foch unless you're in western Canada)

1 - 1996 le gramolere riserva barolo (Giovanni Manzone, Piedmont, Italy)

2 - 2001 castillo ygay gran reserva especial (Bodega Marques de Murrieta, Spain)

3 - 2005 Don Melchor Cabernet Sauvignon (Concha y Toro, Chile)

4 - 2007 Stewart Family Reserve Old Vines Foch (Okanagan Valley, BC, Canada)

And if I can have a 5th and 6th ;-)

5 - 2005 Clos des Papes Chatueauneuf du Pape (Rhone Valley, France)

6 - 2005 Clos Apalta (Casa Lapostolle, Colchagua Valley, Chile)

And I haven't even touched Zin, Shiraz or Mabec yet... there's even a merlot or two... ah never mind

cSm

Thanks, Kazu.

I was hoping you'd share some suggestions but I understand.....

You get different wines each time.

It would have been good to learn from you as you seem to be quite serious about selecting, tasting, enjoying many different wines.

Sail, since we leave in a while out of FLL, I went to Total Wine's website to see what they currently have (I now try to decide before I get there - but, I can change my mind once we are there;)).

Yes, we are quite serious - if we were going today, based on what I saw on the website this is probably what we would pick up:

Chateau La louvriere Blanc Pessac 2009 (France)

Framingham Marlboro Sauvignan Blanc (New Zealand)

maipe Malbec Reserve (Argentina)

Lopez de Heredia Gravonia Criazza Blanco 2002 (Spain)

It's easier to tell in the store of course as you can check exact regions, dryness, etc., so we still end up looking at the bottles and checking before we buy. (I favour whites as some reds do not like me - therefore only one red which I can usually drink;))

HostWalt

Our objective in lugging our own wines on board is to have wines that HAL does not offer, namely older vintages of good red wines. The fact that whites normally don't age well and HAL's offerings of whites include some of the white varietals that we like, paying HAL their full wine list prices to save having to lug whites from our own supply at home makes sense.

The 4 labels we would bring along would include a Silver Oak Cab, a Jordan cab, a Rafanelli Zin and a Williams Selyem Pinot Noir. The Cabs and the Zin would be from 2003 or earlier and the Pinot from 2003 thru 2005.

We love Silver Oak cab and HAL used tro have that on their list but our last cruises, we did not see it. That is one of our all time favorites. We were first introduced to it on a HAL ship at a Hotel Manager's Table and sought it every cruise since.

Some of us optimists think HAL may loosen their new restrictions a bit and I don't think it unreasonable they could agree to permitting two bottles per person.

If HAL were to allow you to bring four bottles of wine aboard when you embark, which four bottles would you bring?

I've read so many impassioned posts from wine lovers that they want to be able to enjoy their wines of choice and I totally understand that as DH and I fully enjoy wine every evening on the ships with wine.

Which are the four wines you would bring?

Since most of our cruises to date left from Ft Lauderdale, as others here have posted, we go to Total Wines to stock up. We are not wine experts but enjoy an inexpensive Pino Grigio or a Pinot Noir. So specific wineries are not on our list. For us they usually run $8-12 a bottle. The four we would take are one Pinot Noir and 3 Pino Grigios.

The kicker with HALs selection here is these wines are priced at around $60 a bottle on the ship. So while I don't expect HAL to offer them at what we pay, this 600% markup just grates me. So for our Nov cruise we'll bring 6 bottles for room consumption and buy from HALs stock for dinner. For the May cruise we'll go to another line.

Dan

cdnsteelman

<snip>

5 - 2005 Clos des Papes Chatueauneuf du Pape (Rhone Valley, France)

Ah yes,,,,

I forgot about Chateuneuf du Pape....... We have enjoyed a bottle or two. ;) :)

I think you just made the case for HAL to NOT relax the new policy.

My master's includes reading comprehension. It truly amazes me how many adults here are severely lacking in that area. Relaxing HAL's policy is influencing them to institute a corkage and allow unlimited wine to be brought onboard. That is what I was saying I assume will happen, thus correlating the corkage fee with an increase in the wine drinkers cruise cost. Right now, we are only allowed 1 bottle. Relaxing is modifying, not eliminating the new policy.

If you are going to stir the pot, at least know what you are talking about. You have convinced me you are not the alter ego of an absent poster!

For those thinking allowing 2 bottle pp to be brought on as a compromise is ridiculous. Of course, those are most likely the people who sail in the Caribbean and don't understand the fun of buying local wine in port. I understand people do have their favorites, but what will influence HAL to relax their policy will be mainly those sailing in Europe. Believe me, they don't care what we think about their wine choice onboard. We all like something different and they are never going to please everyone. They do offer a substantial choice in the DR.

Since most of our cruises to date left from Ft Lauderdale, as others here have posted, we go to Total Wines to stock up. We are not wine experts but enjoy an inexpensive Pino Grigio or a Pinot Noir. So specific wineries are not on our list. For us they usually run $8-12 a bottle. The four we would take are one Pinot Noir and 3 Pino Grigios.

The kicker with HALs selection here is these wines are priced at around $60 a bottle on the ship. So while I don't expect HAL to offer them at what we pay, this 600% markup just grates me. So for our Nov cruise we'll bring 6 bottles for room consumption and buy from HALs stock for dinner. For the May cruise we'll go to another line.

Dan

Your point is well made, Dan.

I understand your disappointment with HAL's new position in this area.

The mark up on the lower priced wines on HAL's lists does seem to be higher percentage than some of the more costly wines. A markup of 600% is hard to 'swallow'.... no pun intended.

Kazu

Sail, since we leave in a while out of FLL, I went to Total Wine's website to see what they currently have (I now try to decide before I get there - but, I can change my mind once we are there).

Yes, we are quite serious - if we were going today, based on what I saw on the website this is probably what we would pick up:

Chateau La louvriere Blanc Pessac 2009 (France)

Framingham Marlboro Sauvignan Blanc (New Zealand)

maipe Malbec Reserve (Argentina)

Lopez de Heredia Gravonia Criazza Blanco 2002 (Spain)

It's easier to tell in the store of course as you can check exact regions, dryness, etc., so we still end up looking at the bottles and checking before we buy. (I favour whites as some reds do not like me - therefore only one red which I can usually drink)

Enjoy, Jacqui..... :)

I admit to never having tried any of them but sure would like to. ;)

... not being able to bring wine aboard in ports is, for me, the most odious part of the new policy ...

I wonder if HAL has considered the potential effect on their own wine-based shore excursion sales...or the willingness of wineries to accomodate HAL tours once they realize fewer passengers may be open to making purchases.

Dan

Again... another economic issue that dogo88 points out.

6 carried on bottles @ $12.00 = $72.00 vs. 6 purchased bottles @ $60.00 = $360.00

Dogo88 saves $288.00 on his cruise cost and HAL looses $288 revenue + tips.

Dogo points out that the 6-bottles are to be consumed in his room.

Thank you dogo88 for sharing with us your specific situation.

Again... another economic issue that dogo88 points out.

6 carried on bottles @ $12.00 = $72.00 vs. 6 purchased bottles @ $60.00 = $360.00

Dogo88 saves $288.00 on his cruise cost and HAL looses $288 revenue + tips.

Dogo points out that the 6-bottles are to be consumed in his room.

Thank you dogo88 for sharing with us your specific situation.

Or in my case:

6 carried on bottles @ $12.00 = $72.00 vs. 0 purchased bottles @ $60.00 = $0

HAL loses $72 revenue.

If we cruise out of FLL or MIA, we invariably spend at least three days on a precruise, often more. We usually rent a car.

We sometimes visit Total Wine. But I have found some very good wines at Costco (believe it or not). And, some of the Kirkland brand wines, Malbec for one, we find to to first rate. Who would have thought. We find their selection of better wines to be small, but very, very good. Whoever does the buying knows what they are doing.

Our big issue with HAL is that they have, for us, a very poor selection especially at the low-mid prices Chilean, Argentinian, and Australian reds.

Your point is well made, Dan.

I understand your disappointment with HAL's new position in this area.

The mark up on the lower priced wines on HAL's lists does seem to be higher percentage than some of the more costly wines. A markup of 600% is hard to 'swallow'.... no pun intended.

Enjoy, Jacqui..... :)

I admit to never having tried any of them but sure would like to. ;)

Malbecs are very nice Sail. If they are made in small wineries, I can usually drink the reds. That's because they don't as many tannins and sulphites as the commercial wineries do (or factories) . Most of HAL's reds come from commercial wineries so I am limited to their whites.

The white Riojas in Spain are absolutely marvelous. they are totally different and we really enjoy them.

Can't get them here in Canada so it is a pleasure to shop in ports or at Total Wine:D

Definitely we do not buy wines that we get on board. Those we can use for dinner in the MDR.

If I'm sailing from California, 2 Alexander Valley Cabs and 2 Russian River Valley Chards

If from Seattle, 2 Yakamia Valley Cabs and 2 WA Cards.

From Italy, 2 Proseccos and 2 Tuscan reds

From Spain 2 Rioja Reds and 2 Cava's

Other places would depend on what I can find in a wine shop.

For example, we're on the Ryndam later this month out of Athens and I haven't a clue as to what I'll find in Athens shops.

Reading through this thread demonstrates two totally divergent underlying reasons this matter is getting all this attention.

1. Many bring their own wine because they have a particular interest in the wine itself (preferred labels, varietals and/or vintages). These people appear to be interested mostly in enhancing their dining experience on board by having a selection of wines that HAL is not at all likely to carry.

2. Others object to the excessive price charged by HAL for wines that can be bought ashore. In these cases the issue is economic, not qualitative. A comparison to life at home is not really apt. Someone who enjoys a nice Marlborough (NZ) Sauvignon Blanc (Kim Crawford, Oyster Bay, etc.) can always find that, or a similar label on board HAL so schlepping a bunch of bottles on board makes sense economically. But at home one can enjoy a personally acquired and stored bottle of wine without going to a restaurant or lounge.

My objections to HAL's proposed policy adjustment encompass both elements. Qualitative - If I want to enjoy a 2009 Petrus Bordeaux (retails at over $3,000) on board ship either at dinner or on my verandah, why will HAL say no? (Except that the 2009 is too green to be consumed in 2014...but never mind. That's not the issue.) Economic - I'm paying a king's ransom to take a cruise with HAL already. If I want to cut a few bucks off my on board charges, I can do that by bringing my own wine for private consumption in my cabin; or, alternatively, sticking with dihydrous oxide (H2O) on the rocks an skipping adult beverages altogether.

IMHO, HAL is making a big mistake with this new policy. It will make their more affluent clientele very unhappy because they can no longer enjoy a slurp of their favorite fermented grape juice while relaxing in their penthouse suite, and it will make those who are less affluent less likely to choose HAL when other lines are into heavy discounting that offers similar cruises at a lower cost.

In a few words, the new policy is a dumb idea.

Reading through this thread demonstrates two totally divergent underlying reasons this matter is getting all this attention.

1. Many bring their own wine because they have a particular interest in the wine itself (preferred labels, varietals and/or vintages). These people appear to be interested mostly in enhancing their dining experience on board by having a selection of wines that HAL is not at all likely to carry.

2. Others object to the excessive price charged by HAL for wines that can be bought ashore. In these cases the issue is economic, not qualitative. A comparison to life at home is not really apt. Someone who enjoys a nice Marlborough (NZ) Sauvignon Blanc (Kim Crawford, Oyster Bay, etc.) can always find that, or a similar label on board HAL so schlepping a bunch of bottles on board makes sense economically. But at home one can enjoy a personally acquired and stored bottle of wine without going to a restaurant or lounge.

My objections to HAL's proposed policy adjustment encompass both elements. Qualitative - If I want to enjoy a 2009 Petrus Bordeaux (retails at over $3,000) on board ship either at dinner or on my verandah, why will HAL say no? (Except that the 2009 is too green to be consumed in 2014...but never mind. That's not the issue.) Economic - I'm paying a king's ransom to take a cruise with HAL already. If I want to cut a few bucks off my on board charges, I can do that by bringing my own wine for private consumption in my cabin; or, alternatively, sticking with dihydrous oxide (H2O) on the rocks an skipping adult beverages altogether.

IMHO, HAL is making a big mistake with this new policy. It will make their more affluent clientele very unhappy because they can no longer enjoy a slurp of their favorite fermented grape juice while relaxing in their penthouse suite, and it will make those who are less affluent less likely to choose HAL when other lines are into heavy discounting that offers similar cruises at a lower cost.

That's it in a nutshell. HAL is very aware they are going to lose the people you mentioned, according to the hotel manager on our last cruise. He said they are expecting and prepared for that scenario. IMHO, Hal has misjudged the number of people who sail the line simply because of the liberal policy. However....while at dinner, I would ask those who ordered wine if they bring wine onboard. Most said they don't. Go figure...

Go figure..... We're 'them'. :)

We have over 800 days on HAL, have had wine with dinner probably everyone of those nights and we have carried one bottle on board in all those cruises. The only reason we brought that one bottle is it was a gift at our pre-cruise hotel and we didn't drink it before we left. Thought it a shame to waste good wine.

In the end, we never drank it while cruising and left it in our cabin when we went home. :)

If only four bottles, I would bring two La Crema chardonnay and two of the best dry bubbly I can get my hands on, if a US departure. Med would be different. DH would probably claim his 2 bottles and insist on some reds, but red wine does not like me.

We bring wine on and generally buy a wine package for dining. We may bring a special bottle to the Pinnacle or something, but generally do not carry our own wine around. It is for balcony consumption or entertaining. We enjoy win with dinner most nights of the year, but definitely on vacation.

I think these statements contain a big discrepancy. I have a hard time imagining that someone who would pay $3000 for a bottle of wine would consider the cost of a HAL cruise to be a king's ransom. :rolleyes:

p.s. I have never bought Petrus but I have tasted some on a few occasions in my Sommelier studies. :D Beats HAL's house red any day :D

Go figure..... We're 'them'. :)

We have over 800 days on HAL, have had wine with dinner probably everyone of those nights and we have carried one bottle on board in all those cruises. The only reason we brought that one bottle is it was a gift at our pre-cruise hotel and we didn't drink it before we left. Thought it a shame to waste good wine.

In the end, we never drank it while cruising and left it in our cabin when we went home. :)

Well, it's people like you who don't bring wine on, yet drink it-- that makes me think we will survive with the new policy. We actually bought a wine package this last time, to get used to the idea. Except, I polled people in Europe. It seems that not as many as I thought care to sample local wines. In the Caribbean, I would only bring a couple of bottles on at Embarkation and that would be it. And, that was only once, if I recall. We sailed in Alaska in 09 and wine never crossed my mind. But, once we discovered how enjoyable it is to sample local wines, there's no going back, unfortunately. If you sailed in Europe, would you want to sample local wine?

I think these statements contain a big discrepancy. I have a hard time imagining that someone who would pay $3000 for a bottle of wine would consider the cost of a HAL cruise to be a king's ransom. :rolleyes:

p.s. I have never bought Petrus but I have tasted some on a few occasions in my Sommelier studies. :D Beats HAL's house red any day :D

I wasn't clear. I was pointing out the two separate demographics involved in this discussion. One is qualitative, the group that is into the wine experience regardless of cost, and the other is economic, the group that is stretching their budgets to afford a cruise. The two demographics each have trouble with the new policy, but for two entirely different reasons.

As for Petrus, I've never had the opportunity to even smell a cork, let alone sip a taste, so I'm not part of that demographic. If I ever had a bottle of the stuff I would be very reluctant to offer the sommelier the customary sip. The value of the sip would equal the price of a standard red on the HAL list.

It's $1500 for a Superbowl Ticket

It's $100 for a ticket to Yankee Stadium and $50 to park.

How much is A ticket to the Wimbledon

Finals?

These places make the customers buy their

beverages.

Why? just like the cruise ships they're in this game to make money.

I know, I know... The nerve of them.

Well, it's people like you who don't bring wine on, yet drink it-- that makes me think we will survive with the new policy. We actually bought a wine package this last time, to get used to the idea. Except, I polled people in Europe. It seems that not as many as I thought care to sample local wines. In the Caribbean, I would only bring a couple of bottles on at Embarkation and that would be it. And, that was only once, if I recall. We sailed in Alaska in 09 and wine never crossed my mind. But, once we discovered how enjoyable it is to sample local wines, there's no going back, unfortunately. If you sailed in Europe, would you want to sample local wine?

I feel like I should apologize for being 'people like me'. :eek:

We have done at least 25+ land trips all over Europe and sailed a number of times.

We certainly drank local wines during all our European travels. Many times we were happy with a carafe of vino de casa..... ;) The local wines were so good the house wine was better than a great many

labeled bottles. ;) :)

Because we don't carry our own wines aboard should not be indicative of anything except that we buy our wines from HAL's wine lists. :)

It's simply our personal choice to not lug heavy bottles. I have no issue with anyone who wishes to and see no reason anyone should care that we don't.

I feel like I should apologize for being 'people like me'. :eek:

We have done at least 25+ land trips all over Europe and sailed a number of times.

We certainly drank local wines during all our European travels. Many times we were happy with a carafe of vino de casa..... ;) The local wines were so good the house wine was better than a great many

labeled bottles. ;) :)

Because we don't carry our own wines aboard should not be indicative of anything except that we buy our wines from HAL's wine lists. :)

It's simply our personal choice to not lug heavy bottles. I have no issue with anyone who wishes to and see no reason anyone should care that we don't.

There is no reason to apologize for anything. People seem to think that if you like wine you should be upset about the policy. I'm fine buying their wine because I don't want to carry another thing on the ship. I'm willing to pay the price for it and I guess that makes me a horrible person. I've got way worse things to worry about then this.

Archived