After All the Discussion about HAL's New Wine Policy.....

sail7seas

There is no reason to apologize for anything. People seem to think that if you like wine you should be upset about the policy. I'm fine buying their wine because I don't want to carry another thing on the ship. I'm willing to pay the price for it and I guess that makes me a horrible person. I've got way worse things to worry about then this.

It does not make either of you a horrible person at all. Each to their own.

DH and I like good wine. We booked suites to enjoy it and share it with company. Our choice certainly - and if HAL will not consider their policy then we can make our choices.

Those that are happy will continue to sail HAL - those that are not will start to look around (as we have already done).

Neither of you should feel badly that you don't want to carry on wine - but in the same vein - recognize and/or appreciate that some do want to be relegated to HAL's wine choices. And we are willing to carry on the wine - it's part of life.

I'm sure you feel as strongly as we do - so each to their own no worries ;)

I feel like I should apologize for being 'people like me'. :eek:

Because we don't carry our own wines aboard should not be indicative of anything except that we buy our wines from HAL's wine lists. :)

It's simply our personal choice to not lug heavy bottles. I have no issue with anyone who wishes to and see no reason anyone should care that we don't.

Certainly, no apology necessary and you state your point of view very well. There is no need to lug wine aboard if you enjoy HAL's wines and are OK with the prices. That is a personal choice you and your spouse make that should not be questioned by anyone, be they wine newbies trying to save a buck, wine experts whose expectations may be higher, or simply wine lovers who like a glass on their balcony at sail away. Cheers!

sail7seas

<snip>

It's simply our personal choice to not lug heavy bottles. I have no issue with anyone who wishes to and see no reason anyone should care that we don't.

It does not make either of you a horrible person at all. Each to their own.

DH and I like good wine. We booked suites to enjoy it and share it with company. Our choice certainly - and if HAL will not consider their policy then we can make our choices.

Those that are happy will continue to sail HAL - those that are not will start to look around (as we have already done).

Neither of you should feel badly that you don't want to carry on wine - but in the same vein - recognize and/or appreciate that some do want to be relegated to HAL's wine choices. And we are willing to carry on the wine - it's part of life.

I'm sure you feel as strongly as we do - so each to their own no worries ;)

Actually, the interesting thing is I don't feel so strongly about it. It doesn't matter all that much to me.

I really and truly have no interest if someone wishes to bring on wine with them. It is nothing to me if someone wishes to bring on bottles or cases.

I just don't want to do so myself.

It isn't of high priority or importance to me and DH. We have always managed fine off HAL's wine

lists. Works for us. :shrug:

It isn't any of my business or concern to decide what someone else should do.

This is a fun thread :)

My choice would be Conundrum for myself, & a Silver Oak Cab for DH

I remember the first time we ever tasted Silver Oak, it was about 12 or 13 years ago in Chicago, we were at a pretty high end restaurant & DH was ordering wine by the glass, (we were on a budget, so nothing too fancy)

About half way thru our dinner the sommelier came over & told us that someone had ordered a bottle of Silver Oak, (don't remember the year) had one glass, & left the rest... did we want to try some? Free wine, you didn't have to ask us twice! We both tasted it, wow, nothing like the trader joe stuff we usually buy ;) We checked on the menu, it was a $200 bottle of wine & we enjoyed every drop of it. Very fond memory.

This is a fun thread :)

My choice would be Conundrum for myself, & a Silver Oak Cab for DH

Your post makes triggers a couple of thoughts for me... first how I've found recent vintages of Silver Oak Cab to be disappointing and second how Conundrum - a staple for many white wine lovers - comes from my favourite California label, Caymus - known mostly for the aforementioned Conundrum blend and its range of Cabs. But their best kept secret is Caymus Zinfandel (red) - a phenomenon in the wine world if you ask me and very difficult to find. Incidentally I understand Caymus to be trying out a Conundrum red... it remains to be seen if this odd blend will meet with success... given the track record at Caymus I'd wager it will.

It's $1500 for a Superbowl Ticket

It's $100 for a ticket to Yankee Stadium and $50 to park.

How much is A ticket to the Wimbledon

Finals?

These places make the customers buy their

beverages.

Why? just like the cruise ships they're in this game to make money.

I know, I know... The nerve of them.

This isn't even apples and oranges - it's apples and elephants!

And exactly how many of these major sporting events offer hotel rooms with the price of the ticket? The only hotels I've ever stayed in where I couldn't enjoy a bottle of wine I brought in in my own luggage were in countries where alcohol isn't legal.

This isn't even apples and oranges - it's apples and elephants!

And exactly how many of these major sporting events offer hotel rooms with the price of the ticket? The only hotels I've ever stayed in where I couldn't enjoy a bottle of wine I brought in in my own luggage were in countries where alcohol isn't legal.

Spin it any way you like.

At the end of the day, it's large corporations that have purchased a license to sell alcohol. They make more money selling you alcohol than you bringing it.

There is no reason to apologize for anything. People seem to think that if you like wine you should be upset about the policy. I'm fine buying their wine because I don't want to carry another thing on the ship. I'm willing to pay the price for it and I guess that makes me a horrible person. I've got way worse things to worry about then this.

There's the comprehension thing again!! No one said that anyone was horrible for not bringing local wine on. Where are you getting that impression from? I mentioned that lots of winedrinkers we met do not bring it on, probably for the same reasons. It is a pain,at times. I was just curious if Sail would bring it on in Europe as I know she sails primarily in other areas. No malice intended at all!! Just curiousity because of the discussion about why bringing wine on is important for some, but not other people who do indeed drink wine. Wow....I have to keep apoligizing to people assuming I mean the worst, when I am a really a nice person!! KirkNC can vouch for me!!

Certainly, no apology necessary and you state your point of view very well. There is no need to lug wine aboard if you enjoy HAL's wines and are OK with the prices. That is a personal choice you and your spouse make that should not be questioned by anyone, be they wine newbies trying to save a buck, wine experts whose expectations may be higher, or simply wine lovers who like a glass on their balcony at sail away. Cheers!

Thank you, Louis. :)

Your post makes triggers a couple of thoughts for me... first how I've found recent vintages of Silver Oak Cab to be disappointing...
Me too. In fact I said exactly that while sipping a taste in their Geyserville winery (at $10 a shot!). The host said that the year to year characteristics have varied a bit more than normal and that he's heard from a few others about the "disappointment." BTW, they are considering creating a meritage. Nothing out yet, just a concept right now.
...and second how Conundrum - a staple for many white wine lovers - comes from my favourite California label, Caymus - known mostly for the aforementioned Conundrum blend and its range of Cabs...
I've become disappointed in their recently delivered Conundrums. It used to be our "starter" wine with guests who generally loved it, but it appears they've adjusted their blending formula recently.
...But their best kept secret is Caymus Zinfandel (red) - a phenomenon in the wine world if you ask me and very difficult to find.
Thanks for the tip. Wasn't aware they made a Zin. I contacted the winery and found that the Zin is available only at (or from) the Caymus winery.
Incidentally I understand Caymus to be trying out a Conundrum red... it remains to be seen if this odd blend will meet with success... given the track record at Caymus I'd wager it will.
Caymus says their red Conundrum has been distributed for 3 years now but seems to be a secret to all but a few wine shops. Hopefully they'll do it very carefully. Their reputation with the Special Selection series of Cabs is so high they should do nothing to compromise it. (BTW, it looks like Total Wine carries it (at $19.99; same price as the white) so it's now on my shopping list.

For us, it has never been a choice to "lug" anything on board. In fact, allowing only one bottle to be brought as carry-on will now require us to lug that bottle.

Until now we have bought one or two cases of wine near the pier and checked the boxed and sealed case at the pier as if it were luggage. It is then delivered to our cabin. We lug nothing.

We have never minded paying for corkage in the MDR. HAL has made a lot of money off our corkage fees, and we have been able to enjoy the wine we like. A win-win is now being converted to a negative-sum game, with HAL the victor and us the loser.

The food and service are better on Celebrity, although the cabins are smaller. We have taken the favorable wine policy into account in choosing HAL and will now take the new policy into account when choosing future cruises.

Wasn't aware they made a Zin. I contacted the winery and found that the Zin is available only at (or from) the Caymus winery.

Here's the story of how I stumbled across it, there is a chain of mid-range steak houses in Canada. I love a peppery zin with steak and so often look for a familiar one on the wine list when having steak. About a decade or so ago this chain added a Caymus Zin to their wine list. I - like you - had no idea Caymus made a Zin but as I love their Cabs (when I feel particularly flush with cash that is) I thought it was worth a shot. I fell in love with it instantly. I asked the bar manager how he sourced it and he said it was a special deal with a distributor and this chain was the only place in the country that carried it including wine stores. Well I made a deal with him and that's how I would get my hands on a few bottles a year. Haven't had it since I left Canada as an expat in 2009.

cSm

Here's the story of how I stumbled across it, there is a chain of mid-range steak houses in Canada. I love a peppery zin with steak and so often look for a familiar one on the wine list when having steak. About a decade or so ago this chain added a Caymus Zin to their wine list. I - like you - had no idea Caymus made a Zin but as I love their Cabs (when I feel particularly flush with cash that is) I thought it was worth a shot. I fell in love with it instantly. I asked the bar manager how he sourced it and he said it was a special deal with a distributor and this chain was the only place in the country that carried it including wine stores. Well I made a deal with him and that's how I would get my hands on a few bottles a year. Haven't had it since I left Canada as an expat in 2009.

cSm

Here's a link to the Caymus winery site that shows their Zin at US$38.00 + shipping.

Your post makes triggers a couple of thoughts for me... first how I've found recent vintages of Silver Oak Cab to be disappointing and second how Conundrum - a staple for many white wine lovers - comes from my favourite California label, Caymus - known mostly for the aforementioned Conundrum blend and its range of Cabs. But their best kept secret is Caymus Zinfandel (red) - a phenomenon in the wine world if you ask me and very difficult to find. Incidentally I understand Caymus to be trying out a Conundrum red... it remains to be seen if this odd blend will meet with success... given the track record at Caymus I'd wager it will.

Regarding the Silver Oak, there were major floods in the mid 2000's that affected much of that region, but honestly they are out of our price range for weekend wine & bbq. so we only have it on special occasions. We cook & eat outdoors pretty much all year round & try to keep the wine around the $15 to $20 range for the weekends, when bev mo has the 5 cent sale, it's a free for all. :D Thanks so much for the tip on Caymus Zin, DH loves a Zin, I'm going to pick up some of the Caymus on the next trip to total wine or bev mo

Archived