Thoughts on French Polynesia

JVNYC

In truth, the island of Bora Bora itself is beautiful to LOOK AT, not all that beautiful on land. It's all about the lagoon. Moorea, Raiatea, Huahine, and Taha'a are much prettier on land. Tahiti, well Tahiti is Tahiti...warts and all.

I agree about Bora Bora. There are beautiful views from up in the hills, of the lagoon, but the island itself is rather underwhelming. The locals are the only ones I've ever met in the islands who are unfriendly--too many tourists I suspect. Historically these islands were all separate kingdoms with somewhat different cultures. Bora Bora is also the most touristy and most expensive.

I think that the Polynesian islands are magical; Moorea is especially beautiful. One more really good thing: The Polynesians are lovely people who don't harass you with sales pitches.

I also love the Caribbean islands and have been to most of them. Places like Grenada, Dominica, Martinique and St. Vincent are tropical with lush vegetation. They don't have lagoons and are much more densely populated than the Society Islands.

By the way, on all our trips to French Polynesia, we never saw roaming dogs; sleeping dogs yes, but they were close to homes. Have things changed that much in the last 5 years?

With Air travel as wretched, and wretchedly expensive, as it presently is, my suggestion is that you take the money that you would have given the Airlines to schlep you to Bora Bora, and treat yourself to some perfectly exquisite Caribbean retreat.

115302.jpgAt the Viceroy in Anguila or Jade Mountain in St Lucia, any differences from the South Pacific become increasingly irrelevant.

Your comparisons are apples & oranges ex: check the daily rates for Jade Mountain:eek: We have friends who stayed there and spent more for a 1 week stay than we are on our entire 10day cruise, flights, plus a pre cruise on Moorea!

Your comparisons are apples & oranges ex: check the daily rates for Jade Mountain:eek: We have friends who stayed there and spent more for a 1 week stay than we are on our entire 10day cruise, flights, plus a pre cruise on Moorea!

Obviously, you are willing to fly Coach.

Which we are not, at least not to Polynesia from the Eastern Seaboard of the United States.

That makes the comparison apples to apples. :p

When you go to the remote places on the planet you will find things not the same as where you left from. That is the attraction...the allure, what you seek.

Yes things will seem harsh. Yes people live by other standards. Yes their normal might seem to you cruel.:rolleyes:

Pleases don't judge others by your standards because the are not the same.

I have seen dogs and cats butchered for an evening meal. Is that wrong or is it their way of life? There they are a food source not fluffy or Spot. Dogs and cats are food in many places.

We, that is you and I, are of a special class of international travelers.

We are blessed by the fruits of our labor to have the experiences most never have.

Take them for what they are worth and appreciate your special opportunity to see the other side of life. They are not you...and you are not them. You live totally different life styles. Who is right?

It is the same here are you gay, black, Hispanic . If you don't want to be offended then do not travel.

If, on the other hand want to learn and understand then revel in discovery and the mystery you might learn of others.

When you go to the remote places on the planet you will find things not the same as where you left from. That is the attraction...the allure, what you seek.

Yes things will seem harsh. Yes people live by other standards. Yes their normal might seem to you cruel.:rolleyes:

I have seen dogs and cats butchered for an evening meal. Is that wrong or is it their way of life? There they are a food source not fluffy or Spot. Dogs and cats are food in many places.

We are blessed by the fruits of our labor to have the experiences most never have.

Take them for what they are worth and appreciate your special opportunity to see the other side of life. They are not you...and you are not them. You live totally different life styles. Who is right?

It is the same here are you gay, black, Hispanic . If you don't want to be offended then do not travel.

If, on the other hand want to learn and understand then revel in discovery and the mystery you might learn of others.

Well said..... If we found our destinations to be exactly as at home what point would there be to travelling.

for your comments....Because each and every day I thank my dear parents...who loved to travel...for the gift they gave to me...to be able to relish these opportunities...In many ways...it is my legacy to them...and on every trip...many times...I go to a church...and light a candle to them...and say "Thank You". Without their interest, direction and love...I would have never been able to discover the world! While it is really hard for me to think about "Fluffy" or Spot" as food...I do understand that different cultures have different life styles...but I will never forget the first time I was in France...in the late 60's...and I kept asking the guide..."This just doesn't taste like "meat"...and he kept telling me it was....but then...on the way out of Paris...he showed me the butcher shop....with the horses head outside!!!! OH....I was not a very happy teen-ager!!! :eek: LuAnn

A lot of opinions both plus and minus. We are going in Feb. so I guess we will make up our minds for ourselves. We are excited and hope not to be sorry for our choice. Do not think we will. Most of the islands look lovely from all the great pictures that have been posted here. Thanks for all the comments, and we will give ours when we get back. Richie :)

JV NYC - I hear your dilemma! Yes, Tahiti is a royal pain to get to from the East Coast, esp with the beautiful Caribbean so much closer. With that said, seeing French Polynesia with my own eyes made me think that paradise DOES exist on earth. I've never felt that way with any other destination, although there are many breathtaking locales. I think my hubby summed it best this way: French Polynesia has the scenery of Hawaii, but the crystal clear warm waters of the Caribbean. Personally, I thought Moorea was the most beautiful of the Society Islands but Bora Bora wins hands down for its water. Grace Bay in Turks & Caicos has great water too, but the scenery is rather boring in comparison so it's what's important to you.

If you do decide to go, I don't think you'll regret it. We went on the PG when it was still part of Radisson/Regent so that was a while ago, but the wonderful memories continue to linger and bring happiness.

Archived